Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Toplef10SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) I22gcj10SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest: August 2020
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» Tomato Mosaic Virus...Fearing the Worst :(
by AuntieBeth Today at 5:03 pm

» Hardcore Sustainability - Urban Homesteading
by TCgardening Today at 4:22 pm

» The SFG journey-Overview of the Redesign Compost Tea Brewer
by OhioGardener Today at 11:32 am

» Tampa newbie
by TCgardening Today at 9:11 am

» Hello Usman from Pakistan
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:47 pm

» Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» Safety of cardboard in compost
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:42 pm

» Succession seed sowing now
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:37 pm

» Hello from southern Wisconsin
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 6:07 am

» Stroke - Country Naturals
by countrynaturals 8/4/2020, 7:28 pm

» Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting.
by mollyhespra 8/4/2020, 2:19 pm

» Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!!
by sanderson 8/4/2020, 2:06 pm

» SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment
by has55 8/4/2020, 1:01 pm

» New England, August, 2020
by SFGHQSTAFF 8/4/2020, 4:18 am

» Newbie SFGer in N. Virginia needing some advice
by SFGHQSTAFF 8/4/2020, 3:19 am

» Earwigs 2.0!
by OhioGardener 8/3/2020, 2:52 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/3/2020, 12:56 pm

» N&C Midwest—July 2020
by Scorpio Rising 8/3/2020, 12:40 pm

» Tomato Problems - Help!
by Dan in Ct 8/3/2020, 8:33 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by Scorpio Rising 8/2/2020, 8:03 pm

» August Avatar: Beat The Heat!
by Scorpio Rising 8/2/2020, 9:01 am

» Staking Eggplants and Peppers
by sanderson 8/1/2020, 7:46 pm

» Tom Thumb
by sanderson 8/1/2020, 7:19 pm

» What's next? - August
by Scorpio Rising 8/1/2020, 4:47 pm

» Tomato Tuesday - 2020
by Scorpio Rising 8/1/2020, 4:40 pm

» Sprouts and Microgreens
by LilBittyBean 8/1/2020, 4:14 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 8/1/2020, 2:37 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 8/1/2020, 11:29 am

» Greetings all!
by Scorpio Rising 8/1/2020, 8:58 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  mijejo on 3/16/2018, 7:12 pm

I am looking  for other SFGers in the southwest area of Ohio. I am about an hour north east of Cincinnati in Warren County. It would be great to chat about gardening specific to our area.
mijejo
mijejo

Posts : 162
Join date : 2011-05-25
Location : Cincinnati, Ohio

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/16/2018, 8:30 pm

Hi, mijejo!

Welcome to the wonderful world of SFG!!!

Have you ever gardened before?  What do you want to eat this year!  Our growing season beginning; what are your plans?

I can’t wait to hear of your plans!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7687
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 58
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/16/2018, 8:34 pm

Oh, and there is a regional forum in the N&C Midwest.  That is us.  We share the similar weather, pests, etc.  But really this site is a WEALTH of info.  The search bar in the upper left-hand corner is a great place to start with most questions.
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7687
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 58
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  AtlantaMarie on 3/17/2018, 7:08 am

Hi Mijejo. Welcome from Atlanta, GA!

Yes, please tell us about your garden!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5374
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 57
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  sanderson on 3/17/2018, 6:23 pm

Hi Mijejo, happy hi Welcome back!

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 19135
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 71
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  mijejo on 3/18/2018, 12:01 pm

Thank you for the welcomes. Actually, I have been a member for years. I took a break from this forum during a big life change. MOVING!

I had an SFG garden in the backyard of my home in West Chester (Greater Cincinnati area). I have since moved to a farm and have once again created an SFG, only bigger, and (I hope) better. I borrowed a pickup truck to take all of my Mel's Mix with me. Now, with livestock (alpacas, sheep, Angora goats, and Angora bunnies), I have lots of compost.

I created this thread to connect and network with those geographically close to me. I hope we can share gardening joys and woes and details specific to our area.

My garden consists of 3 rows of boxes 30 plus feet long, 3 feet wide, and twelve inches deep. I went deeper than my last SFG to reduce the amount of watering. With two years experience in this new garden, I can say that it worked! I went 3' vs 4' wide to make it easier to reach all areas. When the garden is full with tall foliage, I can easily access every inch.

I love to garden and try new things. In addition to growing food, I want to grow some plants to use for natural dyeing. My farm produces wool and other fibers for making yarn and felt. I thought it would be fun and useful to grow some dye resources. I also like growing gourds and making things with them. I do not know much about medicinal herbs, but enjoy growing a few common ones such as lavender. I also want to grow some produce specific for the farm animals. There are so many new things I want to try now that I have more space.

This week, I plan to plant potatoes and peas. I will check dates, and plant other veggies if the timings are correct. I currently have many trays of seeds/seedlings under lights inside. I also have some winter sowing jugs outside. Needless to say, I have BIG plans for gardening this year. I am optimistic. Isn't every gardener? As a realist, I know not all seeds will germinate, no all plant starts will survive transplanting, nor will all direct sows survive. Each plant comes with an adventure. I share its journey while nurturing it along.
mijejo
mijejo

Posts : 162
Join date : 2011-05-25
Location : Cincinnati, Ohio

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  sanderson on 3/18/2018, 3:20 pm

Mijejo, We would love to see some photos!!!!

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 19135
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 71
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  mijejo on 3/19/2018, 6:49 am

@sanderson perhaps when there is some growth in the garden, and if I can figure out how to upload photos, I will post some pictures.
Right now, I would love to get some ideas for the walkways between the beds.
mijejo
mijejo

Posts : 162
Join date : 2011-05-25
Location : Cincinnati, Ohio

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  yolos on 3/19/2018, 12:12 pm

@mijejo wrote:@sanderson perhaps when there is some growth in the garden, and if I can figure out how to upload photos, I will post some pictures.
Right now, I would love to get some ideas for the walkways between the beds.
My pathways are 3 feet wide.  The first two years I used newspaper and then wheat straw on top of the newspaper.  Too many wheat seeds germinated so I then tried using mini pine bark nuggets.  That works great and here in Georgia they are relatively cheap.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 3953
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 70
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  mijejo on 3/20/2018, 2:50 pm

@yolos wrote:
@mijejo wrote:@sanderson perhaps when there is some growth in the garden, and if I can figure out how to upload photos, I will post some pictures.
Right now, I would love to get some ideas for the walkways between the beds.
My pathways are 3 feet wide.  The first two years I used newspaper and then wheat straw on top of the newspaper.  Too many wheat seeds germinated so I then tried using mini pine bark nuggets.  That works great and here in Georgia they are relatively cheap.

Thanks. That is a good suggest. Years ago on this forum, a young man named Josh Greene created pathways by pouring concrete mix into forms. He posted a number of photos of his garden. It was very attractive. I think I might like to try that method of creating pathways and then adding pine bark nuggets or some small pea gravel in the gaps. How might I find Josh's photos?
mijejo
mijejo

Posts : 162
Join date : 2011-05-25
Location : Cincinnati, Ohio

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  yolos on 3/20/2018, 9:39 pm

@mijejo wrote:
@yolos wrote:
@mijejo wrote:@sanderson perhaps when there is some growth in the garden, and if I can figure out how to upload photos, I will post some pictures.
Right now, I would love to get some ideas for the walkways between the beds.
My pathways are 3 feet wide.  The first two years I used newspaper and then wheat straw on top of the newspaper.  Too many wheat seeds germinated so I then tried using mini pine bark nuggets.  That works great and here in Georgia they are relatively cheap.

Thanks. That is a good suggest. Years ago on this forum, a young man named Josh Greene created pathways by pouring concrete mix into forms. He posted a number of photos of his garden. It was very attractive. I think I might like to try that method of creating pathways and then adding pine bark nuggets or some small pea gravel in the gaps. How might I find Josh's photos?
To find posts made by Josh do the following.  BUT beware because I do not know how long the forum saves these old posts and if you actually get all of the posts by an individual member.

Click on Members at the top of the page in the green task bar.
Click on in the box titled "Username" and type in "JOSH" then hit enter.
Click on Josh's avatar.
Click on the tab "statistics".
Scroll down under the heading "POSTS", click on "find all messages posted by Josh".

Hope I did not leave out any steps.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 3953
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 70
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  mijejo on 3/20/2018, 9:46 pm

To find posts made by Josh do the following.  BUT beware because I do not know how long the forum saves these old posts and if you actually get all of the posts by an individual member.

Click on Members at the top of the page in the green task bar.
Click on in the box titled "Username" and type in "JOSH" then hit enter.
Click on Josh's avatar.
Click on the tab "statistics".
Scroll down under the heading "POSTS", click on "find all messages posted by Josh".

Hope I did not leave out any steps.
I tried that. I think those posts are gone. Darn!
mijejo
mijejo

Posts : 162
Join date : 2011-05-25
Location : Cincinnati, Ohio

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  yolos on 3/20/2018, 9:57 pm

@mijejo wrote:
To find posts made by Josh do the following.  BUT beware because I do not know how long the forum saves these old posts and if you actually get all of the posts by an individual member.

Click on Members at the top of the page in the green task bar.
Click on in the box titled "Username" and type in "JOSH" then hit enter.
Click on Josh's avatar.
Click on the tab "statistics".
Scroll down under the heading "POSTS", click on "find all messages posted by Josh".

Hope I did not leave out any steps.
I tried that. I think those posts are gone. Darn!

Here is a picture of the pathways but I am still looking to see if there is a post that shows how he made the stepping stones.

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) 6-2-13veggie_zps7nlkdcgn
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 3953
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 70
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  sanderson on 3/21/2018, 2:09 am

Photobucket decided to charge an arm and a leg for their services. If you didn't pay, your photos disappeared. Many older photos on the Forum were lost.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 19135
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 71
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  AtlantaMarie on 3/21/2018, 7:56 am

You know, Yolos, that pattern looks like the cement form you can get at HD. You just pour cement in it & move to the next spot.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5374
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 57
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  sanderson on 3/22/2018, 4:23 pm

@AtlantaMarie wrote:You know, Yolos, that pattern looks like the cement form you can get at HD.  You just pour cement in it & move to the next spot.
+1

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 19135
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 71
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  yolos on 3/22/2018, 7:12 pm

@sanderson wrote:
@AtlantaMarie wrote:You know, Yolos, that pattern looks like the cement form you can get at HD.  You just pour cement in it & move to the next spot.
+1
Yea, I also looked at Amazon and they have many sizes and shapes of those molds.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 3953
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 70
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/22/2018, 9:06 pm

@mijejo wrote:Thank you for the welcomes. Actually, I have been a member for years. I took a break from this forum during a big life change. MOVING!

I had an SFG garden in the backyard of my home in West Chester (Greater Cincinnati area). I have since moved to a farm and have once again created an SFG, only bigger, and (I hope) better. I borrowed a pickup truck to take all of my Mel's Mix with me. Now, with livestock (alpacas, sheep, Angora goats, and Angora bunnies), I have lots of compost.

I created this thread to connect and network with those geographically close to me. I hope we can share gardening joys and woes and details specific to our area.

My garden consists of 3 rows of boxes 30 plus feet long, 3 feet wide, and twelve inches deep. I went deeper than my last SFG to reduce the amount of watering. With two years experience in this new garden, I can say that it worked! I went 3' vs 4' wide to make it easier to reach all areas. When the garden is full with tall foliage, I can easily access every inch.

I love to garden and try new things. In addition to growing food, I want to grow some plants to use for natural dyeing. My farm produces wool and other fibers for making yarn and felt. I thought it would be fun and useful to grow some dye resources. I also like growing gourds and making things with them. I do not know much about medicinal herbs, but enjoy growing a few common ones such as lavender. I also want to grow some produce specific for the farm animals. There are so many new things I want to try now that I have more space.

This week, I plan to plant potatoes and peas. I will check dates, and plant other veggies if the timings are correct. I currently have many trays of seeds/seedlings under lights inside. I also have some winter sowing jugs outside. Needless to say, I have BIG plans for gardening this year. I am optimistic. Isn't every gardener? As a realist, I know not all seeds will germinate, no all plant starts will survive transplanting, nor will all direct sows survive. Each plant comes with an adventure. I share its journey while nurturing it along.
Did you get the huge deluge of snow yesterday that is already gone?  LOL!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7687
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 58
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  llama momma on 3/25/2018, 5:32 pm

Hi and welcome back, mijejo,

So far, I think I'm the closest one living near your location.  I live four counties northeast of you, in Fairfield county, near the Pickaway county line.   Hope you are enjoying your alpacas and other critters, I've added chickens to my llama and cat collection.  I'm not adding another sfg bed.  Ten is my limit and my joints have insisted - No More.

Feel free to compare local notes I'd love to hear what's happening ! SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) 3170584802

LM
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4908
Join date : 2010-08-20
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/25/2018, 10:04 pm

Come on over to N&C Midwest !  We are super cool....Cool
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7687
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 58
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  OhioGardener on 8/7/2018, 5:37 pm

@mijejo wrote:Right now, I would love to get some ideas for the walkways between the beds.

Hi, Mijejo! I am fairly close to you as well - I am about 20 miles north of Dayton, in Clark County.  I have 30" isles between the raised beds, and they are covered with free wood chips from the local tree trimming company - they are anxious to get rid of the wood chips, and I am happy to have them.  When I put the beds in place, i lined the ground with 1/2" hardware cloth to keep gophers & moles from boring up into the beds, and then I spread the wood chips about 6" deep all around the beds. The wood chips smother the weeds, and it gradually decomposes into dark mulch. I have re-applied the wood chips twice as it has decomposed.


SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Imag3310
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Posts : 2043
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  sanderson on 8/8/2018, 3:13 am

Nice isles and beds. Keeping the weeds down in the isles helps keep weed seeds from boxes.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 19135
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 71
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  kygardener on 8/10/2018, 6:27 pm

I am about an hour south east of Cincinnati on the KY side of the river.
avatar
kygardener

Female Posts : 55
Join date : 2010-08-02
Location : northeast ky zone 6A

Back to top Go down

SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area) Empty Re: SW Ohio (Cincinnati Area)

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum