Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Toplef102 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 I22gcj102 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Toplef102 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 I22gcj102 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+18
farmersgranddaughter
BlackjackWidow
Scorpio Rising
Yardslave
sanderson
countrynaturals
trolleydriver
Nakajimaa
yolos
AtlantaMarie
No_Such_Reality
Robbomb116
Mellen
has55
BeetlesPerSqFt
CapeCoddess
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Turan
22 posters

Page 14 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18 ... 22  Next

Go down

2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  trolleydriver 4/21/2018, 2:31 pm

Looks great sanderson. I enjoy the photos of your garden.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  yolos 4/21/2018, 3:23 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Looks great sanderson. I enjoy the photos of your garden.
+1
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/21/2018, 3:35 pm

sanderson wrote:Got the purchased herbs planted today.  Then I realized I forgot to plant the little Thyme I started.   Shocked  I also worked in the front yard, weeding, trimming up perennial flowers, planting new annuals, and tackling the China Doll rose that I have ignored for 2 summers.  I am so sore . . . 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Herb_b10
I started pulling weeds in the Salad Bar, but then I started sneezing and couldn't stop. This is a bad year for allergies. Even the cats are sneezing.  Evil or Very Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/29/2018, 2:30 am

Today was an effort to get as many of the starts into the ground.  We are going out of town for 2 days and the little starts in pots were suffering.  The 7 little tomatoes planted 10 days ago are doing well.  The tomatoes are in every other square with a flower in the other squares.  The 2 petunias are store bought. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Garden33

Various cucumbers planted 4-15 - Muncher, Pickling, Crystal Apple and Lemon. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Garden36

This bed ended up a flower bed.  The flowering vinca, stock and dianthus are store bought and barely hanging on.  The only hope was to plant them.  The others are from seeds. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Garden38

Herb bed.  The tiny thyme are in the shade of the perennial oregano. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Garden34

KY Wonder beans.  This bed hasn't been used for 2 years because of the neighbor's trees, which were recently removed.2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Garden35

Various cantaloupes. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Garden37

Winter squashes (R) and 2 small watermelon and flower (L). 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Garden40

The new bed 2' x 1 1/2'.  One each yellow squash and zucchini. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Garden39

If you squint real hard you can see the tiny tomatoes finally planted 4-24.  They are definitely doing better.  The trellis is not finished but it had to be in place in order to know where to plant the tomatoes.  Yolos suggested the wood blocks to support the EMC so they wouldn't sink into the BTE soil.  Holes were drilled in the wood for the rebar which was half sunk into the BTE soil. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Bte_em11

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/29/2018, 4:07 pm

Wow sanderson, you have been busy! It all looks great as well.
   2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 3170584802

I see you are allowing flowers to take over more squares. That has been my thought as well but we will see what happens when planting time arrives.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/29/2018, 7:27 pm

I had big plans for today, but it ended up raining off and on, so I got nothing done. Tomorrow we have to run errands all day, so I won't get back into the gardens until Tuesday.  Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 4/30/2018, 1:15 am

Break in the rain and I took the opportunity to plant some red,white, and yellow onions, garlic, and seed in some Italian torpedo onions. Had a bed prepped and waiting for radish, carrot, beet and parsley seeding- fingers crossed and hope they all germinate- should be warming up and nights are not going to get much colder- they're covered, but just hope I can keep the seeds safe from the neighbor's cat's urges to use my boxes as a latrine.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/30/2018, 1:45 am

trolleydriver wrote:Wow sanderson, you have been busy! It all looks great as well.
   2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 3170584802

I see you are allowing flowers to take over more squares. That has been my thought as well but we will see what happens when planting time arrives.
Just something different for this year.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 4/30/2018, 9:25 am

Ive been planning more flowers myself trying to get more habitat for the beneficiaks interspersed with the food crops.

My borage which i was so happy to have growing over the winter has turned into a self sowing weed that grows 5x as fast as everything else in the garden  Very Happy
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/30/2018, 2:14 pm

Borage made one of the beds one year and I had it coming up the next 2 summers!  Now it can run wild in the BTE front flower bed.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/3/2018, 3:54 am

I am behind and hope to catch up on the Forum tomorrow, Thursday. I was out of town, and when we got back, Comcast for our TV, computers and iPhones was not working.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/3/2018, 9:55 am

sanderson wrote:I am behind and hope to catch up on the Forum tomorrow, Thursday.  I was out of town, and when we got back, Comcast for our TV, computers and iPhones was not working.  
I can relate to "behind." I'm starting to think I may never catch up. I can't even manage to get a new avatar "planted."  Embarassed
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/3/2018, 2:18 pm

YEE-HAH! Whatever was making me sneeze is now GONE! I am finally able to work in the Salad Bar. Last year, I covered the "floor" in wood chips. It took me forever and just about did me in. This year, pulling the winter weeds out of those chips is a piece of cake. I should have it done by noon.  happy turtle 

Also added a 2nd hummingbird feeder so I don't have to worry so much about having one run dry. Those poor little stinkers rely on me (and have a fit if I go anywhere near the feeder that I provide for their unappreciative little selves).  Rolling Eyes 

If I live past noon, I may start moving some of those beautiful wood chips into some garden beds or around some fruit trees.  2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 274447  After that, I need to finish planting and complete the drip system.  2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 43549
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/4/2018, 5:44 pm

It is gorgeous weather right now.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/4/2018, 9:02 pm

sanderson wrote:It is gorgeous weather right now.
And we have several more days of it on the way!  happy turtle
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 5/5/2018, 11:30 am

Going to be in the 80's here, but we get coastal fog at night, so it cools down into the low 50's.The cool nights are not too good for the tomatoes as they really start to push up when the soil get warmer.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/5/2018, 4:09 pm

I always find it amazing how many climates can be found in California. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Drough10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/11/2018, 2:50 am

I have been hit with a cold ? with bronchitis so I'm a little pokey in the garden and on the Forum. I'm going to the Urgent care clinic tomorrow. An update on what is growing so far, mainly beans. Bird nest gourd finally making its appearance among tomato volunteers. I will be planting the the luffa in the BTE. I have a square EMC trellis frame that will be re-purposed for it. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Bird_n11

Purple podded beans doing well in the hottest spot in the yard. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Bean_p10

Bush Blue Lake.  I need to install the horizontal trellis. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Bean_b10

Dragon Tongue next to the sweet potato totes. Ditto on instally the horizontal trellis.  I wash and store the trellis netting for each box for winter 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Bean_d11

Kentucky Wonders growing the the bed that was shaded out for 2 seasons. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Bean_k10

Red Noodle not doing so well.  I would say herbicide affected except the Purple Podded have the same home made compost.  I will go ahead and pull them.  Maybe 3 Queen sunflowers in this box. ?? Yes, I have grids on the 1' x 3' beds! 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Bean_r10

These 2 photos are of the BTE strip with new EMC and paracord tomato trellis.  The 3/4" PVC tees are for holding the trellis vertically.  From the street side, the trellis looks nice and tidy.  2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Bte_to11

New 2' x 1.5' bed with a yellow and zucchini squash. I think there are leaf hoppers ?? so I will spray with Neem one evening. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Squash10

The new PVC corn trellis is in the background.  I still have to clip the zip ties, add sting to the 2 ends and figure out how I will make the cross braces to prevent the stalks from being blown over.  I planted the seeds 48 hours ago and they still aren't up!  Wink 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Bte_to10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackjackWidow 5/11/2018, 9:52 am

sanderson wrote:I have been hit with a cold ? with bronchitis so I'm a little pokey in the garden and on the Forum.  I'm going to the Urgent care clinic tomorrow.  

So sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. I hope you're up and running at full throttle again soon.
BlackjackWidow
BlackjackWidow

Female Posts : 173

Back to top Go down

2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Empty Re: Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?

Post  farmersgranddaughter 5/11/2018, 10:22 am

Hope you are feeling much better soon, sanderson.  Get plenty of rest.  Too many times I had bronchitis that worsened to pneumonia.
farmersgranddaughter
farmersgranddaughter

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 5/11/2018, 10:27 am

Hope you get well soon, S. I can imagine that it's driving you nuts not to be doing something out in your garden, but cool it for a while and just give yourself enough rest so you can shake off the bronchitis and get back to gardening.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/24/2018, 3:10 am

It's great to be home after 5 days away.  I swear everything really grew during that short time!  The garlic was looking a little peaked so I went ahead and harvested it today.  Any that don't cure will be chopped and dehydrated for garlic powder. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Garlic19
2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Garlic20

I installed 2 horizontal trellises for the Blue Lake bush beans before we left and it was a good thing I didn't wait. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Trelli14

I also sprayed this zucchini with Neem Oil solution because of aphids.  I wouldn't be around to hose them off so I brought out the big gun.  I don't know if this is damage from the Neem or a disease.  The yellow squash on the left seems to be okay. In fact, it has a failed fruit on it. I haven't seen many pollinators around this year. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Diseas11
2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 14 Diseas10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/24/2018, 6:49 am

Looking good.  Nice haul on the garlic.   
hyper
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/25/2018, 11:07 am

Whew, those beans shot up! Nice haul on the garlic.  Will you save back the best heads to plant in the fall?

The squash, to me that looks like a nutritional deficiency.  Is it possible that the mix did not get evenly mixed there? Could the pH be overly high and binding the iron or manganese?  Squash soil pH preferences is in the 6 range, a little acidic.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/25/2018, 4:04 pm

Turan,  The different beans are doing good in their various 25 squares scattered about. I lost 3 squares right away. Should I try fava beans in those 3 squares? It is the second hottest bed in the garden.

There are 2 squashes in the box, one of each.  The zucchini on the right is the one affected and I was thinking (hoping) it was Neem oil sunburn.  The Mix was saved from the 2'x2' box that had rot and termites.  New compost was added evenly.  thinking

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18 ... 22  Next