Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 Toplef102 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 I22gcj102 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 Toplef102 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 I22gcj102 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+18
farmersgranddaughter
BlackjackWidow
Scorpio Rising
Yardslave
sanderson
countrynaturals
trolleydriver
Nakajimaa
yolos
AtlantaMarie
No_Such_Reality
Robbomb116
Mellen
has55
BeetlesPerSqFt
CapeCoddess
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Turan
22 posters

Page 13 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 4/13/2018, 2:54 am

How did everyone hold up under the strong wind storm? Here, it was worse today than last night. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 3868

The leaves of my tomato starts have purple undersides. I did the unthinkable and gave all of the starts in their trays a drink of CalMag and fish emulsion. Then, today at a family nursery, I noticed all of their healthy looking tomatoes have purple leaves, also. I think it is the periods of cold/cool we have been experiencing.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  Yardslave 4/13/2018, 11:36 am

Probably stressed out:About purple leaf
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/13/2018, 1:26 pm

sanderson wrote:How did everyone hold up under the strong wind storm?  Here, it was worse today than last night. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 3868
It's still too cold to go out and check, but today and tomorrow should be gorgeous. We still have another 6 days of up and down weather, then spring should be here to stay -- probably for a very short time until our dreaded summer season descends upon us.  affraid
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/14/2018, 2:39 am

My seedlings seem to be doing downhill!  Shocked  They were planted in MM.

3-30-18 when first set outside.  2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 Seedli20

4-13-18 in the opened green house.   2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 Seedli21

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 4/14/2018, 11:36 am

Could be they have exhausted the remaining energy from their cotyledons or hypocotyls and the soil doesn't have enough nutrients to keep 'em healthy. Maybe a dilute fertilizer application to soil and a leaf drench will pick them up.Too much Magnesium (Epsom salts) in the MM can do this too. It binds up all the Phosphorus and  minerals and makes it so that there isn't enough Nitrogen available for the seedlings. They look too "iffy" to put them in the beds- try to revive them.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/14/2018, 11:43 am

They are saying, "Feeeeed meeeee"

There is not enough food in those little seeding cells to keep them going for long. They need to be planted or up potted or fed or all of those.  Sometimes it makes sense to plant them and then cover to protect.  Especially squash dislike the confines of lil pots and dislike being moved, and grow too fast.  Plant them and cover them if it gets in the 30s.

I disagree with Yardslave on this. I often find that planting is what saves the iffy characters I pick up at the greenhouse sales. They nurse back best with full root space.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/14/2018, 2:49 pm

Thank you for advice. I may up-pot the tomatoes, peppers and eggplant, and plant the other veggies. Flowers are too small to do anything except thin and feed.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/16/2018, 2:51 am

Upon advice, I started planting the seedlings, today.  Winter squash, cucumbers and melons.  I also converted the double trellis for the cucumbers into a triple trellis.  Of course, thunderstorms are now expected tomorrow. tongue 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 Trelli11

I worked for several hours but it doesn't look like I did much. Shocked  Sort of like when you clean the oven, clean the refrigerator, and the husband comes home and states that it looks like you didn't get much done.  Lots of work, but not obvious.  I also sprinkled Espoma Garden-tone on the garlic and watered well.  First bean popped up. bounce Worked on trellis repairs (repairing accidentally snipped nylon nettings and replacing sun brittle zip ties), watering, mixing in new compost (lots of fat earthworms in the original boxes from when they were on the ground in 2013 and 2014).  Finished wrapping the rest of the nylon trellis netting around the tall tomato bed.  It's visible at the very left of the photo.  I'm adding at least one flower in each box that doesn't have beans.

Still have the tomatoes to up-pot.  They aren't quite big enough to plant out.  Weeded what I call the dirt gutter that surrounds the backyard.  Started sprinkling Sluggo Plus in the perimeters of the MM.  And still cooked a hot dinner!  I'm pooped.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/16/2018, 8:43 am

sanderson wrote:Upon advice, I started planting the seedlings, today.  Winter squash, cucumbers and melons.  I also converted the double trellis for the cucumbers into a triple trellis.  Of course, thunderstorms are now expected tomorrow. tongue 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 Trelli11

I worked for several hours but it doesn't look like I did much. Shocked  Sort of like when you clean the oven, clean the refrigerator, and the husband comes home and states that it looks like you didn't get much done.  Lots of work, but not obvious.  I also sprinkled Espoma Garden-tone on the garlic and watered well.  First bean popped up. bounce Worked on trellis repairs (repairing accidentally snipped nylon nettings and replacing sun brittle zip ties), watering, mixing in new compost (lots of fat earthworms in the original boxes from when they were on the ground in 2013 and 2014).  Finished wrapping the rest of the nylon trellis netting around the tall tomato bed.  It's visible at the very left of the photo.  I'm adding at least one flower in each box that doesn't have beans.

Still have the tomatoes to up-pot.  They aren't quite big enough to plant out.  Weeded what I call the dirt gutter that surrounds the backyard.  Started sprinkling Sluggo Plus in the perimeters of the MM.  And still cooked a hot dinner!  I'm pooped.
You been busy. Looks great. I am so far away from doing any of that.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/16/2018, 10:21 am

I am pooped just reading all you got done.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/18/2018, 4:21 am

Today I managed to plant 7 tomatoes and 7 flowers in the 2' x 7' bed.  They are so tiny. Shocked
2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 Tomato19

Also planted 8 peppers, 2 Snow Fairy tomatoes and 2 Japanese Millionaire eggplants in the 2' x 8'.  Amended this 4' x 2.5' bed for herbs.  I pulled the bolted cilantro and figurines and dumped and turned more compost. This oregano is 2 years old and taking off now (photo before amending the bed). 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 Oregan10

A few days ago I planted 2 bird house gourds in new compost mixed with old worm castings.  Can you spot what is wrong in this photo? 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 Bird_n10

Third summer for these 2 year old snapdragons.  They were planted where a tree was removed and the stump ground out.  For an in-ground bed, the soil is so healthy. A pair of blue jays are collecting the old coir from the ratty-looking baskets. It's fun to watch as they collect, then organize the fibers before they both fly off at the same time.   2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 Flower10

This is my unique Japanese Beetle trap.  I've been knocking the ones on the lower flowers into a bucket of soapy water and the blue jays have been eating them from the the upper flowers. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 Rose_j10

In 2 more days, the temps should be in the 70s and 80s.  If the plants can just hang in there and not dampen off.  Fingers crossed.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/18/2018, 7:48 am

In the "what's wrong" photo, it looks like lots of "something" coming up all over the place.... Is that it? What do you think it is?

And is that a Camilla bush for the June bugs?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/18/2018, 2:52 pm

Climbing Iceberg rose that is over 20 years old. Lots of compost volunteers, probably tomato, maybe pepper.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/18/2018, 4:18 pm

You've been busy sanderson. Looks great. My MM is still frozen solid as is my 3x3x3 compost bin. I should be ready for planting by about July. Please send some of those nice temperatures this way.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/19/2018, 1:32 am

This is a busy time for me regarding the garden. From the time I sow the seed pots until the starts are in the beds. I went to HD today and they had Bonnie 4" pots on sale at 5 for $15. Some of my herbs did not germinate and I planned to buy a few that I really wanted. Two Stevia, 1 cilantro, 1 flat Parsley, 1 basil with lots of individual starts, 2 more lavender, and flowers mainly for the front yard. I previously bought one tarragon and 1 lavender. At least the beds are all composted, many planted with seeds or my starts, so planting the new plants will be easy.

TD, Your turn will come. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/19/2018, 11:04 am

sanderson wrote:This is a busy time for me regarding the garden.  From the time I sow the seed pots until the starts are in the beds.  I went to HD today and they had Bonnie 4" pots on sale at 5 for $15.  Some of my herbs did not germinate and I planned to buy a few that I really wanted.  Two Stevia, 1 cilantro, 1 flat Parsley, 1 basil with lots of individual starts, 2 more lavender, and flowers mainly for the front yard.  I previously bought one tarragon and 1 lavender.  At least the beds are all composted, many planted with seeds or my starts, so planting the new plants will be easy.

TD, Your turn will come.   Very Happy

My cilantro came up on its own. Parsley made it through the winter and looks good. I bought 3 English lavender plants and put them in the bee garden. Rosemary and bay are thriving in the outside beds of the Salad Bar. Oregano is worthless. It looks right, but has no fragrance or flavor. It was store-bought last year. My best guess is that the nursery messed up and it's really some ornamental that just looks like oregano.  Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 4/19/2018, 11:25 am

CN- I must have gotten the same batch of "oregano" that you refer to. It looks like the read thing but it is actually marjoram and it tended to be pretty invasive in the beds; Good in stews, and with meats though.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/19/2018, 11:29 am

Yardslave wrote:CN- I must have gotten the same batch of "oregano" that you refer to. It looks like the read thing but it is actually marjoram and it tended to be pretty invasive in the beds; Good in stews, and with meats though.

Yeah, I have met that stuff too, at least bees love it. The good stuff is often called 'Greek'.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/19/2018, 4:07 pm

Yardslave wrote:CN- I must have gotten the same batch of "oregano" that you refer to. It looks like the read thing but it is actually marjoram and it tended to be pretty invasive in the beds; Good in stews, and with meats though.
Mine's in a container, so it can't go anywhere, but it did absolutely nothing for the soup we put it in.  Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/19/2018, 4:08 pm

Turan wrote:

Yeah, I have met that stuff too, at least bees love it.  The good stuff is often called 'Greek'.
If the bees like it, I'll transplant it out in the bee garden instead of dumping on the compost heap.  Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/19/2018, 5:08 pm

Thank goodness my oregano is the real thing. It is my go-to herb.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/20/2018, 12:06 pm

sanderson wrote:Thank goodness my oregano is the real thing.  It is my go-to herb.
Ooo, ya wanna send me a cutting? I'm sure I can find something to swap for it. Let's talk!  2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 3170584802
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/20/2018, 4:15 pm

Thinking how best to do it. Where's a small box when you need it!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/21/2018, 3:22 am

Got the purchased herbs planted today.  Then I realized I forgot to plant the little Thyme I started.   Shocked  I also worked in the front yard, weeding, trimming up perennial flowers, planting new annuals, and tackling the China Doll rose that I have ignored for 2 summers.  I am so sore . . . 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 Herb_b10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/21/2018, 1:17 pm

Morning photo of the herb box.  The basil pot had 4 nicely separated basil starts so I cut it in half and planted the 2 sections. 2 - California - What are you doing this month? - Page 13 Herb_b11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 22  Next