Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What if you are on the line between zones? Toplef10What if you are on the line between zones? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What if you are on the line between zones? I22gcj10What if you are on the line between zones? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What if you are on the line between zones? Toplef10What if you are on the line between zones? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What if you are on the line between zones? I22gcj10What if you are on the line between zones? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What if you are on the line between zones?

+2
Wyldflower
dansamy
6 posters

Go down

What if you are on the line between zones? Empty What if you are on the line between zones?

Post  dansamy 5/16/2010, 10:16 am

I think I am far enough north of Mobile that I am really close to the zone lines between 8a and 8b. So, how would I tell? So far the maps that let me plug in my zip code don't subdivide. They just tell me "8".
dansamy

Female Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

What if you are on the line between zones? Empty Re: What if you are on the line between zones?

Post  Wyldflower 5/16/2010, 10:26 am

I don't know of a website that will have that precise a line between zones. There are all sorts of factors that create microclimates that will affect things even from one part of your yard to another. So I wouldn't worry too much about which of the two zones - especially in the warmer regions your frost dates won't be too different from one to the other. Use your instinct to decide what to plant where and when, within the range of the two zones.
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

What if you are on the line between zones? Empty Re: What if you are on the line between zones?

Post  Retired Member 1 5/16/2010, 11:21 am

dansamy wrote:I think I am far enough north of Mobile that I am really close to the zone lines between 8a and 8b. So, how would I tell? So far the maps that let me plug in my zip code don't subdivide. They just tell me "8".

Hmmm. The National Gardeners Assoc. gives me 8a, so it subdivides at least in some areas. Perhaps it is confused also? What if you are on the line between zones? Icon_biggrin

http://www.garden.org/zipzone/
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/16/2010, 11:58 am

Wyldflower wrote:snip .....There are all sorts of factors that create microclimates .... Use your instinct to decide what to plant where and when, within the range of the two zones.

That and a good minimum/maximum thermometer as well as a notebook.

I am that way with zone 7. I bank on the cooler of the two and gamble when I can afford it. For instance, I have not put in pumpkins yet. They are a long season, one time planting. If I gamble on planting early and they are stunted by cold, damp nights, then I’ll be buying pumpkins in the fall. But with bush beans I can afford to gamble with an early planting (which I did, WAY early) If they fail, I have the time and the space to re plant. Does that make sense?

Deborah ....who had to replant early beans

Last edited by Lavender Debs on 5/16/2010, 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  dansamy 5/16/2010, 2:35 pm

belfrybat wrote:
dansamy wrote:I think I am far enough north of Mobile that I am really close to the zone lines between 8a and 8b. So, how would I tell? So far the maps that let me plug in my zip code don't subdivide. They just tell me "8".

Hmmm. The National Gardeners Assoc. gives me 8a, so it subdivides at least in some areas. Perhaps it is confused also? What if you are on the line between zones? Icon_biggrin

[url=http://www.garden.org/zipzone/
http://www.garden.org/zipzone/[/quote[/url]]

Oooh! Thank you! Hadn't found that one yet. (I don't think. I've looked at so many!) It calls me 8a.
dansamy

Female Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 5/16/2010, 3:19 pm

Good. I've found it to be pretty accurate as I'm also on a dividing line between 8A and 7B. It seems to take microclimates into consideration. I'm in 8A whereas the nearest town west is in zone 7b. Makes sense as I live at the south base of a "mountain", and that would protect me.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/16/2010, 3:31 pm

I am technically in 7a, but given the way my direct-sown plants are coming up, and the temps, I think I'm actually much further "north"! We are going to the low 50's, high 40's, at night this coming week from the forecast.

I have tried to start some seeds indoors, but the way things are going, I am letting my direct-sown plants run the show and write the calendar. My beans and cukes are only just starting to sprout.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 5/16/2010, 4:14 pm

The zones are just a guideline so 8a or 8b doesn't matter so much. Plus each year is different. I remember last year in New England was like the year with no summer. I was dressed in June the same way I dressed in March (visited both months). And so far in So Cal the spring has been slightly cooler than normal and I am regretting not throwing some lettuce in in March. So, don't get TOO hung up on it.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down