Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 Toplef10Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 I22gcj10Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 Toplef10Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 I22gcj10Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing

+21
ralitaco
camprn
Mellen
BeetlesPerSqFt
sfg4uKim
trolleydriver
audrey.jeanne.roberts
CapeCoddess
jimmy cee
littlejo
has55
Mikesgardn
Scorpio Rising
Marc Iverson
sanderson
yolos
AtlantaMarie
Kelejan
mschaef
happycamper
mollyhespra
25 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 Empty Re: Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing

Post  sfg4uKim 1/2/2017, 8:31 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Thanks for finding that! It partly confirms this method would be tedious for me to attempt again since I would be stuck with the individually-watering-each-one method.
But what I really don't understand how/why her hose still has water in the winter.  Shocked The impression I got from the way my father religiously turned off the water and drained the spigot (and hose) every year before winter was that if you didn't do it, the water would freeze inside and at best ruin your spigot, and at worst explode your pipe and cause water damage inside the house. And that ignores the water freezing into a solid tube inside part of the hose since she has something on the end that blocks water from flowing out... Is her spigot and hose storage actually inside the house or something?

I disconnect my hose from the spigot, but there's no way to turn the water off so I just put an insulated cover over it.
Save

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 Empty Re: Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing

Post  has55 1/6/2017, 4:55 pm

I emailed the company to asked about proper watering with their system.

from Ronald Wridge

Austin,

When I have a plant or direct sown seeds covered with one of my Greenhouse Buckets I typically only water them once every 4 to 5 days because they don't need it any more than that.  Every night the warm moist air trapped under the bucket condensates on the colder inside walls of the bucket and that basically rewaters the plant.  If I leave the top vent ring open, the I will have to water a little more often because some of the moisture under the bucket escapes through the vent ring.

When I do water my plants, most of the time I just open the top vent ring and using a rain sprinkler head on my hose and water through the open vent ring.  I water this way especially if I have staked down my buckets to keep them from being blown away by strong springtime winds.   If I want to admire my plants and see how fast they are growing under my buckets  I just lift off the bucket and water as normal and then replace the bucket.  You know all gardeners love to admire their handy work.  

From my personal experience rain is not an adequate or consistent means of water a plant when it is cover by one of my buckets.  Even with the vent ring fully open it would take a really heavy rain to do a good job of watering.

If you have any other questions please feel free to call me.

Happy Gardening,

Ron Wridge

WryCo International, LLC
Home of the Greenhouse Buckets
613 Sheafman Creek Rd
Hamilton, MT 59840
Phone: (406) 961-8891

"I grow a garden because it is cheaper than getting counseling!"
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/16/2017, 10:31 am

Bump  lots o

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 1/16/2017, 6:10 pm

I'm starting to accumulate containers for Winter sowing (maybe early Spring sowing for me).  Here is what I have so far.  BTW the bench was made by my late father-in-law who had a passion for woodworking.

Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 Img_3511
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/17/2017, 12:45 pm

Family heirloom!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 1/17/2017, 7:19 pm

This was quite interesting.
Is anyone currently doing this?
If so, what have you got planted?
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/17/2017, 10:24 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:I used water bottles for cloches....they worked last spring, I really planted out too early.  But they acted like cookie cutters and lifted each seedling out when removing them ...

Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 Image21

Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 Image22

Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 Image23
This was spinach and black seeded Simpson lettuce.  All did OK after the trauma of uprooting again...but Ithink it was just too early.  I don't know.

That's interesting that the plants were uprooted upon removal of the cloche.  I wonder if twisting the bottle first would have help. Or did you try that?
Yes, I think there was some operator error here.  I kept all the "cloches" (they are pop and water bottles with the bottoms cut off). 

Honestly, I would (will) do it again.  I do think I started the out planting too early.  Will be more conservative with the timing.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 1/18/2017, 8:53 am

ralitaco wrote:This was quite interesting.
Is anyone currently doing this?
If so, what have you got planted?
I borrowed the container idea from the winter sowing technique last year. However I did not start in the winter and did not set out the containers in the snow. I had a couple of containers of kohlrabi and broccoli as an experiment. It was April when I got these going. It worked well and the seedlings transplanted well into the SFG. I'm planning to try it again but starting earlier (maybe next week) while it is still winter which theoretically should produce stronger plants.

Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 IMG_1682_zpsk9fxwapx
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/19/2017, 3:32 am

thank you for sharing your pictures and experience. It well appreciated. it so important, since we only get one shot per season at our experiments. This was very helpful.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/8/2017, 11:38 am

quote from Scorpio Rising, "This was spinach and black-seeded Simpson lettuce.  All did OK after the trauma of uprooting again...but I think it was just too early.  I don't know."

SR, I'm trying to figure out why your transplants were uprooted again? Did seed directly into the beds or start in the bottle and then took the plants out later for transplanting in the garden bed, then place bottles back over them for protection.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 2/8/2017, 11:41 am

He had said the bottles were stuck and took enough soil with them to uproot the plants when it was time to remove the bottles cause it got too warm.
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/8/2017, 12:30 pm

Robbomb116 wrote:He had said the bottles were stuck and took enough soil with them to uproot the plants when it was time to remove the bottles cause it got too warm.
thank you. Would you happen to know if there's a way to prevent this?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/1/2017, 11:30 am

We're having 75 to 85 degrees days, but 35-37 degrees nights. The tomatoes are doing great in the direct winter sowing jugs. these are not seeds, but store bought tomatoes.
1st time doing this. great idea.
Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 Winter10
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/13/2017, 10:35 pm

my tomatoes and peppers are doing well, but tonight we have a freeze warning. I'll see how it goes.
one yard revolution has started another experiment with winter sowing. Next year I will do the low hoophouse with the jugs for winter unless his experiment points out a better way. I ant to do direct winter sowing.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 3/14/2017, 9:51 am

Nothing has even started growing in my wintersowing containers yet. Not even the broccoli or kale. The fact that yesterday's high was 6°F might be why. Just when it looked like spring, and I planted some winter sown things, then we get a week where it never gets above freezing. Mother nature is toying with me =(
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/5/2017, 12:22 pm

To all you innovative people out there, I have a challenge:

Can you figure out out how to use these clam packs for winter sowing? Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 00310

They are the containers for the pound sized greens from the grocery store.  The flat tops are throwing me...
thinking
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 4/5/2017, 1:37 pm

I'd just add some holes on top for ventilation in addition to the holes on bottom for drainage.
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 4/5/2017, 11:40 pm

Not sure what you are looking to do exactly, but if you need/want more room above the flat top, you could cut the lids off 2 containers and put one on top of the other. Use tape, staples, binder clips or hot glue to hold them together.

You could also remove the lid and use the bottom as a cover if you plant directly in the soil. If you want to cover the holes in the bottom which would now be on top, use the lid as a cover.

ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 5/1/2017, 11:22 am

In my climate, this year I had some success winter sowing some cool wearher crops. However, so far I have had no luck with peppers, tomatoes, or eggplants. None of those have germinated yet, and I fear it will be too late for them if they do end up germinating. So for this yea I am likely to buy local transplants for this vegetables.

I DID have success winter sowing lettuce, kale, and broccolini! All of the these have now been transplanted on the garden.
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/12/2017, 11:24 am

My 2017 Winter Sowing Reveal is available for viewing on the "Third Year SFG in Canada" thread. 

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t21190p175-third-year-sfg-in-canada#265875
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/8/2017, 3:30 pm

Bump! The original posted link is no longer available, but there are some great posts, here. I'm really excited about this right now since we're drinking fancy alkaline water for Hubby's health and it comes in gorgeous gallon jugs that will be perfect for winter sowing outside.
Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 Water10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 11/8/2017, 3:41 pm

great idea
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/10/2017, 6:19 pm

Double duty!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/10/2017, 5:17 pm

Sugar Snap Peas are up in the mini greenhouses. I can feel the temp difference inside and out. I also have them growing out in the elements and doing fine. It will be interesting to see what happens when it starts getting really cold.
Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing - Page 3 Peas410
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 10:47 pm

Can’t wait!  So some will be in a greenhouse and other’s outside?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next