Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 Toplef10First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 I22gcj10First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 Toplef10First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 I22gcj10First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH

+6
landarch
Kelejan
countrynaturals
AtlantaMarie
herblover
wyldhawk9
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 Empty Re: First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH

Post  wyldhawk9 4/18/2016, 1:47 pm

countrynaturals wrote:This is soooo exciting watching your progress along with ours. Hopefully I'll have more pics to post later. I won't be actually planting in my beds for several more days, but I've been growing and buying plants for weeks, so I do have a head start.

In that empty bed behind the house, how about tomatoes in matching cages? What direct do they face? How much sun? Peppers would be beautiful there, but they grow so slowly that spot would just look like dirt for a long time. Maybe peas on a trellis frame would come in quicker and look good.

Thanks CN! I'm pretty excited too - I'll be sure to check for your updates. 

The bed next to the house faces south and I had thought to put tomatoes there, but wanted to opinions of seasoned gardeners. I'm also intrigued about pepper plants and definitely want a jalepeno plant or two...what do folks do with pepper plants in winter? Should I just plan to keep it in a pot instead of in the ground?
wyldhawk9
wyldhawk9

Back to top Go down

First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 Empty Re: First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH

Post  countrynaturals 4/18/2016, 2:42 pm

wyldhawk9 wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:This is soooo exciting watching your progress along with ours. Hopefully I'll have more pics to post later. I won't be actually planting in my beds for several more days, but I've been growing and buying plants for weeks, so I do have a head start.

In that empty bed behind the house, how about tomatoes in matching cages? What direct do they face? How much sun? Peppers would be beautiful there, but they grow so slowly that spot would just look like dirt for a long time. Maybe peas on a trellis frame would come in quicker and look good.

The bed next to the house faces south and I had thought to put tomatoes there, but wanted to opinions of seasoned gardeners. I'm also intrigued about pepper plants and definitely want a jalepeno plant or two...what do folks do with pepper plants in winter? Should I just plan to keep it in a pot instead of in the ground?
Our Costco has beautiful huge pots of yellow and red sweet peppers for $.6.97 a 3-pack. Some of the pots have more than one plant in them. They would be gorgeous there and someone else here said you can cut them back and bring them in over the winter. I'm going to try it.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/18/2016, 9:52 pm

You are gonna have a great season, Wyldhawk! Beds look awesome, kid is helping! And off to an early start! cheers
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  wyldhawk9 4/18/2016, 10:37 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:You are gonna have a great season, Wyldhawk!  Beds look awesome, kid is helping!  And off to an early start!  cheers

I sure hope you're right! First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 3170584802
wyldhawk9
wyldhawk9

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/19/2016, 1:03 pm

So cute, and the beds look good, also! Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 4/20/2016, 3:44 pm

wyldhawk9 wrote:

A south facing spot is good for tomatoes; they like the heat.  I put pepper plants in my SFG as annuals, I don't have a good indoor spot to bring plants in during the winter.  Pot one up and try it if you have a good spot to see if its worth it.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  wyldhawk9 4/20/2016, 9:49 pm

herblover wrote:
wyldhawk9 wrote:

A south facing spot is good for tomatoes; they like the heat.  I put pepper plants in my SFG as annuals, I don't have a good indoor spot to bring plants in during the winter.  Pot one up and try it if you have a good spot to see if its worth it

Thank you herblover! I will do just that!
wyldhawk9
wyldhawk9

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/21/2016, 7:04 pm

I know from experience, my east facing windows will not keep basil alive over the winter. Rosemary yes, house plants, yes, but not the more sun hungry stuff. Nothing to lose! If I had a south facing window, maybe....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/21/2016, 7:34 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:I know from experience, my east facing windows will not keep basil alive over the winter.  Rosemary yes, house plants, yes, but not the more sun hungry stuff.  Nothing to lose!  If I had a south facing window, maybe....
Hmm, I've never tried to over-winter basil. I just harvest and freeze it all at the end of the season. I have a south-facing sun porch, so maybe I'll try keeping a pot of it going and see what happens. First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 3170584802
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 4/21/2016, 10:16 pm

wyldhawk9 wrote:These first two photos were taken on 4/6. You can get the lay of the land of our future garden. Vibernum line the fence, and I'll need to thin and top these plants to let more light in in coming weeks. You'll notice the bales of pulled English ivy (which is everywhere in our yard!). I wish I'd taken a before picture. The empty bed at the bottom of this photo housed 3 very overgrown taxus yew bushes which I removed along with a couple mature rose of sharon trees. I burned all of the taxus yews and rose of sharon, and as much of the ivy as I had patience for in the fire pit and put the ashes into the compost heap. 
First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 Img_2525

Here is a photo from the opposite vantage point of the photo above. Any suggestions for what to plant in that now empty bed next to the house? I don't normally park my SUV in the side yard, I pulled up and jammed all of the remaining English ivy - I was too impatient to burn all of it - and hauled it away. I have plenty more in my yard that needs to come out, but for now, this was a good start. Oh, and I was just messing around putting a cover on that 4x4...just to see what it would look like. There was nothing in the box. 
First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 Img_2523

Here's the actual layout of the garden boxes on 4/13...you can see in my zeal, I removed sod from one of the biggest plots first... Rolling Eyes

First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 Img_2521

Here we are...cooking up our first batch of MM. (4/13) I love it when my oldest yells "Vermiculite!"
First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 Img_2524

Ready to fill our first box. (Ironically, this is the last box I made and you can see I used 2x6s instead of pallet wood - soo much easier!)

Yes, this box is in the ground about an inch. I removed the sod before I asked about this...now this box is filled and planted, so I'll just have to do the other boxes correctly.
First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 Img_2526

On 4/15, my buddy and I planted box #1. Now we'll see if anything grows in it... 
First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 Img_2519

Filling up box #2 on 4/17...the pallet wood boxes are a little taller (7 in.) plus I didn't lower the ground so the other 3 will seem quite a bit taller than the box made with 2x6s. 
First Time Gardener from Columbus, OH - Page 2 Img_2520
Thanks for sharing. My kids loved working on the SFGs too.  The first two I made were two by twos for each of them. They loved having their own boxes (which they painted), but strangely it was as much work to make the two by twos as the four by fours. My youngest is also 4 this year. I have him convinced that we are urban farmers. My daughter (9) just rolls her eyes at that notion, but she wants a bigger box this year.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2