Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Bone Broth - Page 2 Toplef10Bone Broth - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Bone Broth - Page 2 I22gcj10Bone Broth - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Bone Broth - Page 2 Toplef10Bone Broth - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Bone Broth - Page 2 I22gcj10Bone Broth - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Bone Broth

+8
llama momma
plantoid
AtlantaMarie
Scorpio Rising
Kelejan
mollyhespra
littlesapphire
sanderson
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Bone Broth - Page 2 Empty Re: Bone Broth

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/5/2016, 9:05 pm

Don't want to stray too far off topic, but unless raw aluminum is coming into prolonged contact with the heated acidic foodstuff you are good. Much more problematic IMHO is the off-gassing of plastic byproducts, as in heating in plastic containers, Saran wraps, frozen food thingies.

Stay pure as ya can. Don't worry about stuff that doesn't chemically interact with your food directly. So many other things to worry about!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/5/2016, 9:18 pm

plantoid wrote:Scorpio , I have a wicked sense of humour ..

So in reply to you asking ....
" Plantoid, what is a job? Is it a stove?.

"My reply..... tongue in cheek , ...... " No it's a spellign mistook on your part " .

Seriously :-
 These days the hob is the hot part where you put your pans on the top  a gas or other fueled stove  or an electric ring or the induction heat area

Originally I think the hob is the old witches cauldron type scenario  where the cauldren is suspended over an open wood  fire  on the hob .

I sure  the hob is those three six foot or so long iron rods set in a triangular pyramid that the cooking pot hangs from

Gotcha!

As far as sense of humor, I too enjoy a good witty banter and love it when we can share our different terminology and cultures. You are right...what is a JOB? Oh yeah, it is that thing that allows me to enjoy this wonderful hobby, feed the kids, heat the house, oh yeah..pay for....the house... LOL! Love it!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/6/2016, 9:09 pm

We knew what you meant! Wink
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/7/2016, 12:55 am

Plantoid, done. Wink

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 1/7/2016, 12:27 pm

Advice please: Which is better, left-over bones off a roasted piece of meat, or raw bones from a butcher?
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/7/2016, 2:27 pm

Either. With raw bones, you can roast them with veggies to get a deeper, richer flavor.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/7/2016, 2:35 pm

According the Nourishing Broth, the only source I have right now, both are good. Freeze all bones until you have enough. I suppose that means you can have a mix of raw and cooked bones. Vinegar is added to the water to help leach minerals from the bones. Raw bones roasted a bit add a nice flavor. The book also recommends adding pig or beef hooves, or chicken feet, but I'm not that "advanced" yet. Wink

I bought shank bones sawed in 1" pieces, which I roasted with a brushing of tomato paste. Plus a knuckle bone likewise cut in pieces, which went in the pot raw.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 1/7/2016, 8:02 pm

I use both, really just what I have available Smile  I also save any skins or cartilage (because that has good stuff in it too).  When I'm feeling ambitious, I save cuttings from my vegetables to use instead of whole veggies, too.  When I'm not ambitious, they go in the compost!  Either way, they get used.

As far as the aluminum thing goes, I'd rather be cautious even if it's no big deal in the end.  Some people are crazier than I am.  Sally Fallon, the lady who wrote Nourishing Traditions, cautions against using stainless steel cookware too, because of the nickel in it.  So I guess we all have to draw our own line that we won't cross Smile
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/7/2016, 8:48 pm

Look at the active ingredient in your antiperspirant....it is everywhere. I do not put it on my freshly shaved armpits, but you can sometimes tell who doesn't ever use it. No

Aluminum.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/9/2016, 12:18 am

Quote from Plantoid:  "I'm sure  the hob is those three six foot or so long iron rods set in a triangular pyramid that the cooking pot hangs from"

Plantoid, the hob is that flat plate level with the fireplace that keeps a kettle warm.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 1/10/2016, 11:27 am

I save bones until I have a gallon ziploc bag as well as veggie trimmings in another one.  Put in the crockpot, add 1T vinegar per qt of water, simmer for 8-10 hours.  I pour it all into a large bowl, set it in the fridge overnight, skim off the fat and freeze.  Easy peasy.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/10/2016, 2:50 pm

Kelejan wrote:Quote from Plantoid:  "I'm sure  the hob is those three six foot or so long iron rods set in a triangular pyramid that the cooking pot hangs from"

Plantoid, the hob is that flat plate level with the fireplace that keeps a kettle warm.

Picture please?

And herblover, I could do that method! I love easy peasy lemon squeezy!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/10/2016, 8:31 pm

Kelejan wrote:Quote from Plantoid:  "I'm sure  the hob is those three six foot or so long iron rods set in a triangular pyramid that the cooking pot hangs from"

I'm very interested in  such quaint terms , for I was brought up in a hovel with an early Victorian cooking range in our only down stairs room built around the time that Vermuyden ( SP)the Dutch drainage engineer  came over from Holland top supervise the draining of the Fens  .
I've also seen quite a few earlier fire places  for thouse cooking & heating arrangements in some of our lovely restored rather old domestic homes.

To me the hob used to be the toothed / hooked bar that the cooking pot hung from via the tripod so that you could get differing heats from the open fire . ( Olde Blacksmiths term of having a hob meant a toothed flat bar as in " Hobbing  = cutting teeth "  ) 

I've tried to find a witches cauldron hanging off a hob on the fire irons but can't locate any such pictures , but rest assured  till about the 1300'S us common folk cooked like that .

This name moved to a similar hanging device on the older fires that only had an open fire grate . Ie hanging off the hob ..I can't find any Wikki type references to it though .

I think it was the late Elizabethan  kitchen ranges that  had a grate in the middle with a water heating tank on the left  side (usually )  and the oven to the right   ,
On the  posher  late Victorian ranges the oven top often was big enough to have tow pan positions  to place pans on or to keep thing hot .  Sometimes a secondary or alternative damper could be adjusted to send a lot of heat across the oven top & sides  .  This led to some of the ranges having removable plate sabove the oven top where you could sit the correct sized pan directly into the fires flame . Some of these holes had several removable rings so you could use different sized pans .

Lots of the old pot bellied stoves had these multi ring holes so did the big industrial sized kitchens that use gas

I guess like most things over time the meaning slips & changes , for years vacuum cleaners were called Hoovers here  in the UK when in fact it is a trade name  for a suction cleaner .

So to me it has  migrated over the years to mean  any device used to put pans & kettles on to cook/heat  the contents .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/11/2016, 1:11 am

Language and its changes of use are fascinating.  No wonder dictionaries sometimes  have a multitude of meanings for one word.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/11/2016, 2:11 am

From Nourishing Broths, Chicken broth.  I used a whole chicken and a package of wings: Bone Broth - Page 2 Bone_b16
Bone Broth - Page 2 Bone_b17
Bone Broth - Page 2 Bone_b18

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/11/2016, 8:30 am

I like that recipe , trouble is over here the locals would have a duck fit if they saw a chickens head , feet or a split trotter on a supermarket shelf .

Where I used to live just about the same numbers of a certain religious group decided to take offence when they saw  pork in a city center butchers shop window .  They demonstrated , made representations , demanded  and got a butcher  to remove his traditional pigs head display out the front window .

That 120 yr old family business closed for ever not long afterwards .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/11/2016, 12:07 pm

The market where I bought the beef bones suggested Asian markets for chicken feet and other unusual parts.  I was just happy to know where to find shank and knuckle bones.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/11/2016, 6:25 pm

sanderson wrote:The market where I bought the beef bones suggested Asian markets for chicken feet and other unusual parts.  I was just happy to know where to find shank and knuckle bones.
 I'd also try the  a bit further East in the Chinese & Vietnamese shops , for I've seen such things in them over here.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/11/2016, 6:31 pm

Plantoid, in my opinion, people need to know where their food comes from. That it starts out as an animal, perhaps. Religion aside, folks should know of the sacrifice that meat, fish and poultry truly represent. Ask any hunter. I am not one, but have lived most of my life in a very rural, farming and hunting community!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Bone Broth - Page 2 Empty Bone Broth

Post  SFGHealthCoach 1/11/2016, 11:05 pm

Love that we are talking bones here on the SFG Forum!
Such a pleasure to get back to the basics and to also stay true to using our veggie scraps and more to benefit our health and the health of the planet.

Of interest and a good read:  Boost Your Health with Bone Broth  

I'll drink to that!
SFGHealthCoach
SFGHealthCoach

Female Posts : 90

http://www.fromyourinsideout.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/12/2016, 7:55 am

SFGHealthCoach wrote:Love that we are talking bones here on the SFG Forum!
Such a pleasure to get back to the basics and to also stay true to using our veggie scraps and more to benefit our health and the health of the planet.

Of interest and a good read:  Boost Your Health with Bone Broth  

I'll drink to that!

Bone Broth - Page 2 3170584802 me too!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/12/2016, 11:43 am

I do drink to that. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 1/12/2016, 2:05 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Plantoid, in my opinion, people need to know where their food comes from.  That it starts out as an animal, perhaps.  Religion aside, folks should know of the sacrifice that meat, fish and poultry truly represent.  Ask any hunter.  I am not one, but have lived most of my life in a very rural, farming and hunting community!
I think it's sad that most people don't appreciate where their food comes from.  When I tell people I want to own a farm someday and raise chickens and rabbits, they give me these big shocked looks and ask how I could ever kill such adorable creatures.  C'mon, folks.  At least if I raise them, I know they were loved and well cared for.  The critters you buy in the store probably weren't.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/12/2016, 6:25 pm

littlesapphire wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Plantoid, in my opinion, people need to know where their food comes from.  That it starts out as an animal, perhaps.  Religion aside, folks should know of the sacrifice that meat, fish and poultry truly represent.  Ask any hunter.  I am not one, but have lived most of my life in a very rural, farming and hunting community!
I think it's sad that most people don't appreciate where their food comes from.  When I tell people I want to own a farm someday and raise chickens and rabbits, they give me these big shocked looks and ask how I could ever kill such adorable creatures.  C'mon, folks.  At least if I raise them, I know they were loved and well cared for.  The critters you buy in the store probably weren't.

We saw a TV prog a few weeks before Christmas , showing that loads of kids in the 7 to 14 yr age group  think raw meat comes from a factory .  Same with veg & fruit .

Evidently they also think  it comes off the factory production line all ready wrapped and in handy family sized pack but they never made  the connection of the source of it.

There were some strange answers when the interviewer asked the kids, " Well what is meat made of then , where do we get the raw materials "  ?
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/12/2016, 7:20 pm

plantoid wrote:
littlesapphire wrote:

We saw a TV prog a few weeks before Christmas , showing that loads of kids in the 7 to 14 yr age group  think raw meat comes from a factory .  Same with veg & fruit .

Evidently they also think  it comes off the factory production line all ready wrapped and in handy family sized pack but they never made  the connection of the source of it.

There were some strange answers when the interviewer asked the kids, " Well what is meat made of then , where do we get the raw materials "  ?

Wow. I believe it. Everything is so sanitized for your protection these days.

And LS, I agree, at least they had a good life while here. Ever hear of Polyface Farms? They are into that philosophy. Very retro. When animals grazed and did their animally things....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next