Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Have you ever met Mel? Got pictures? Toplef10Have you ever met Mel? Got pictures? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Have you ever met Mel? Got pictures? I22gcj10Have you ever met Mel? Got pictures? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Have you ever met Mel? Got pictures? Toplef10Have you ever met Mel? Got pictures? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Have you ever met Mel? Got pictures? I22gcj10Have you ever met Mel? Got pictures? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Have you ever met Mel? Got pictures?

5 posters

Go down

Have you ever met Mel? Got pictures? Empty Have you ever met Mel? Got pictures?

Post  sfg4uKim 7/4/2015, 9:43 am

Have you had the privilege of meeting Mel Bartholomew in person? If so please share your pictures and tell us a bit about the experience.

OR even if you haven't MET him, can you share how SFG has impacted your life? We all know SFG is simpler, but has it made a BIG impact on your life? We've had people share about taking SFG overseas, helped them whip a chronic illness or brought them out of depression. What's YOUR story?

Let me start off with one of my favorite Mel pictures from this past week:

Have you ever met Mel? Got pictures? Img_0010

Mel at Caldwell Country Store in Lake George, NY - June 29, 2015

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Have you ever met Mel? Got pictures? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Have you ever met Mel? Got pictures? Empty Re: Have you ever met Mel? Got pictures?

Post  donnainzone5 7/4/2015, 2:09 pm

I first met Mel back around 2006 or so when he spoke at a gardening event in Orange County, California.

Instantly recognizing him before the program began, I barged up, introduced myself, and showed him pictures of my SFG.  Though amended several times, there were huge clumps of clay, some nearly too heavy to move.  I also explained that my garden was surrounded on three sides by two- or three-story buildings.

Mel was quite gracious, though.  He did tell me, "You really DO have a problem" and told me about ANSFG.  I bought a copy after the program.

During the SFG lesson afterwards, he asked if anyone knew how vermiculite is made.  I answered the question correctly, having read the original book several times.

I next met Mel in 2008 at the Eden instructor certification class.  At one point, we had a fairly lengthy chat about many different subjects.  I learned to appreciate his dry sense of humor.  

Perhaps we'll meet again someday.  I'm hoping that he'll visit Oregon sometime soon.  There are several CIs here, although apparently I'm the only one in Central Oregon.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Have you ever met Mel? Got pictures? Empty Re: Have you ever met Mel? Got pictures?

Post  sanderson 7/4/2015, 3:36 pm

I haven't met face-to-face, but have had telephone conversations since being Admin. He is a nice person.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 7/4/2015, 3:41 pm

Sanderson,

I really enjoyed meeting and speaking with Mel--both times.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 7/5/2015, 2:01 am

I think anyone who has met him would agree that he's got a great sense of humor.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

Have you ever met Mel? Got pictures? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/5/2015, 6:48 pm

I swear that guy " Mel " is getting younger each time I see a recent picture of him ....... happen it's ANSFG that's the culprit.  Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  Razed Bed 7/5/2015, 6:58 pm

I spoke to him briefly as a call-in on a radio program.

I would love to meet him to shake his hand and tell him how much I have appreciated his incredibly wonderful books and PBS series, and as emotional as I can get, I will probably have tears in my eyes when I do eventually meet him.

This comes from somebody that doesn't think it is anything to regularly have had contact with people like Barry Zito, Rickey Henderson, Pekka Rinne, Will Perdue, Eddie George, Marcus Mariota, or Garth Brooks.  They are all nice people and all that, but Mel is different.  Because of him, I discovered healthy eating, and that greatly affected my life at a time when I needed guidance back in 1982-83.  That makes 33 gardens where organic produce was consumed from the source.

As a former general contractor, I would also like to discuss engineering as well.  It would be easy to believe that he would be equally interesting and make engineering sound simple as well.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 7/6/2015, 6:01 pm

LOL the only name I recognized on your list was Garth Brooks.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Razed Bed 7/6/2015, 11:46 pm

sfg4uKim wrote:LOL the only name I recognized on your list was Garth Brooks.
Just for you Kim:

Barry Zito: Former Cy Young award pitcher with the Oakland A's and San Francisco Giants.  He is trying to make a comeback with the Nashville Sounds, Oakland's AAA minor league team.  He is also a fairly competent musician who could try to make a go in the Music City, even though his music is not country.  He is into yoga and probably would approve highly of SFG.

Rickey Henderson: Hall of Fame baseball player mostly with Oakland, and the all-time Stolen Base leader in the history of the game.  He is now a roving instructor for the A's and just spent a fortnight in Nashville working with the Sounds.  He will talk your ear off, but he is a nice guy.

Pekka Rinne: All-Star NHL goalie for the Nashville Predators

Will Perdue: Former Center for the Chicago Bulls during the Michael Jordan days and currently a very outspoken sports commentator.  I knew him when he played at Vanderbilt in the 1980's.

Eddie George: The all-time favorite Tennessee Titans football star and former Ohio State University Heisman Trophy winner.  He lives near us when he is in his Nashville home.  He is also into yoga and organic eating, as he can frequently be spotted in our neighborhood Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.  Both he and his incredible wife are super friendly, even to Michigan fans, to some extent.

Marcus Mariota: The reigning Heisman Trophy winner from Oregon and first draft pick of the Tennessee Titans.  He has taken this town by storm, and I met him during the recent organized training activities the Titans held in June.  He is from Hawaii and likes durian, which is an acquired taste that I have not been able to acquire.

Garth Brooks: He only hit .214 in Spring Training with the Padres 10 years ago.  He was a little slow, didn't field well, and had a weak arm.  I guess he had to stick to his day job.  Seriously, my dear sweetheart worked for him for 3 1/2 years.

Mel Batholomew: He hit 1.000 in the Major Home Gardening League.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/7/2015, 12:36 am

Oh, THAT Garth Brooks. I knew that!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 7/8/2015, 11:25 am

Mel Batholomew: He hit 1.000 in the Major Home Gardening League.

He certainly did.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down