Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
When to water? Toplef10When to water? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

When to water? I22gcj10When to water? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
When to water? Toplef10When to water? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

When to water? I22gcj10When to water? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

When to water?

+9
Marc Iverson
llama momma
herblover
CapeCoddess
mschaef
Razed Bed
Judy McConnell
sanderson
freedoms1791
13 posters

Go down

When to water? Empty When to water?

Post  freedoms1791 5/21/2015, 12:44 am

Is it better to water in the AM or PM?
freedoms1791
freedoms1791

Male Posts : 20

Back to top Go down

When to water? Empty Re: When to water?

Post  sanderson 5/21/2015, 2:44 am

My 2 cents. If you water by drip irrigation, with a cup or carefully with a hand wand, it shouldn't make any difference. If it's by overhead sprinkler, then just before sunrise to give the leaves a chance to dry off before the sun hits them. In Fresno, evening / middle night lawn watering is discouraged because Fescue grass is supposed to be susceptible to a fungus. ?? Don't know.

When do the rest of you water?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 5/21/2015, 7:17 am

I've always heard "it's best to water in early AM" giving time during the day for water on leaves to evaporate.  The following article hits both AM or PM watering.

I suspect the best thing to water plants when you can - just so they get watered.

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/vgen/water-plants-vegetable-garden.htm
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  freedoms1791 5/21/2015, 9:06 am

Judy McConnell wrote:I've always heard "it's best to water in early AM" giving time during the day for water on leaves to evaporate.  The following article hits both AM or PM watering.

I suspect the best thing to water plants when you can - just so they get watered.

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/vgen/water-plants-vegetable-garden.htm

Thanks for that great article. I have a automated irrigation system so I was looking at the best time to set it thank you all for the help.
freedoms1791
freedoms1791

Male Posts : 20

Back to top Go down

When to water? Empty Water in the morning, water in the evening...

Post  Razed Bed 5/21/2015, 10:03 am

If you live in the desert where you can have temperatures in excess of 110 with little or no humidity, you may actually need to water twice in one day.

In 2008, Nashville suffered from the worst heat wave in its history.  Official temperatures reached 108, but we live west of the city in a pocket that averages 3 to 7 degrees higher temps than the official temperature.  A professional weather gauge used by a local TV meteorologist at his own home in our neighborhood showed two days where the high exceeded 115.  It was so hot, my calves burned when I walked down the driveway to get the mail.

Our plants dried out before 3 PM on multiple days, as the temperature topped 100 degrees before 10:30 AM and stayed above 100 past 8 PM.  Containers had to be given special care, and we were forced to place ice cubes in the pots so the water could melt and keep the plants from drying out. 

Our SFG plants needed watering twice a day, because the soil was too hot.  I admit that our mulching was poor that year, and we had a weed cloth as well, so a lot of that was my error.

However, the night/day thing is not as important as the moisture of your soil.  If you need to water, but it is not early AM, it is better to water in the PM than wait until the next morning.  If it is really hot outside, and if you water in the evening, the leaves will be dry enough to avoid the mold.  If you live in an area like ours, your yard is going to be full of mold after rains, so it won't really make much difference.

Concerning Compost Tea, we only apply this after the sun has set.  A foliar spraying of compost tea can burn your leaves if you apply it before the sun rises.  We give the leaves a chance to have the night air and fully absorb the nutrients and chitin before having to face the next day.

Yes, it is preferable to water before the sun's rays hit the plants, but watering at night is still better than not watering until the next day, if your plants need water.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 5/21/2015, 11:35 am

There is no right answer to this question.

For me I water after dinner,which for my family is around 530. This means I'm normally in the garden watering by 630. I use two cups and a bucket to water. Hope this helps, but like someone mentioned before me the time is best when it fits your schedule and what the weather is like or going to be like.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/21/2015, 1:12 pm

I bucket water every Wed & 1 weekend day, starting in the AM and usually finish up mid day.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 6/2/2015, 11:29 am

I usually water in the evening due to work schedule; unless it is the weekends then I try to do garden work earlier in the day before the heat kicks in.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/2/2015, 11:41 am

Typically I prefer to water in the morning because I can't stand the heat and humidity the rest of the day and hope it helps dry things out and reduce fungal growth.
But it rains anytime of the day and night anyway..  
idk
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/2/2015, 3:47 pm

A.M.

If you are growing on containers or live where it gets particularly hot, though, you may want to water more than once a day, so that would probably mean you're watering both morning and in the afternoon or early evening.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  vortex 6/3/2015, 4:14 pm

I have the time for my micro sprinklers for the garden (and landscaping) set to run early in the morning at 5:30AM for 45 minutes. It's currently set to run every 4 days, but once it starts to get over 90 and summer really sets in, I'll bump it up to every 3 days, then every 2. I'll monitor from there, and adjust as necessary. I also have the option for a manual cycle, so if it needs a supplemental watering every now and then, that's what I do.

What I always find funny about the whole when/how to water discussions is that mother nature doesn't care. It rains when it rains, and falls right out of the sky. AM/PM/style doesn't matter to her, and plants seem to do just fine. lol!
vortex
vortex

Male Posts : 81

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/3/2015, 4:24 pm

vortex wrote:
What I always find funny about the whole when/how to water discussions is that mother nature doesn't care. It rains when it rains, and falls right out of the sky. AM/PM/style doesn't matter to her, and plants seem to do just fine. lol!
Mine do not do just fine when mother nature rains on mine whenever she wants because of the disease problems associated with wet plants.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/3/2015, 7:56 pm

I'm new to SFG and so far I've been watering with a watering can around the base of the bigger plants and over the top of the seeded squares. I usually do this in the late afternoon. But I have a big concern. At the end of June we are going away for almost two weeks.  I could ask a neighbour or relative to do some watering but we usually turn off the water in the house when we go away. One possible alternative is to set up a barrel, fill it with water, attach a spigot at the bottom and ask them to take water from the barrel. I'm not sure if the 45 gallon barrel will provide enough water for the two SFG boxes plus maybe some for the other non-SFG vegetable beds. In the past when we were away we just let nature take care of the standard gardens and they did OK. However, I'm concerned that the SFG boxes will dry out if not watered every couple of days (assuming no rain). It would be such a shame and very discouraging to do all this work with SFG only to have it ruined while we are away.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/3/2015, 10:54 pm

When my well was down for a couple days last summer, I hauled in water from my neighbors.  A few plants were just starting to show signs of being thirsty.  I figured that it took about ½ gallon per square to properly hydrate the MM.

Now, if only you knew what the weather will be like, and what the watering frequency will be that time of year!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/4/2015, 7:50 pm

Boffer, thanks for the 1/2 gallon per square estimate. I'm thinking of training my 7 year old grandson to water the plants assuming my son is willing to bring him over every few days while we are away. They live about 30 minutes from us. It would be a good introduction to gardening for my grandson and he would earn a few dollars for his effort.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  vortex 6/4/2015, 9:22 pm

boffer wrote:Now, if only you knew what the weather will be like, and what the watering frequency will be that time of year!

No kidding. My timers watered everything this morning, and it was raining by 9am. And 11am. And 2pm. Wasn't supposed to rain, else I would have hit the rain delay button. Thankfully the timers are set for a shorter, supplemental watering right now, and the rain only added maybe a 1/4" on top of that.

More tonight, but thankfully the drainage of my raised beds is really good.
vortex
vortex

Male Posts : 81

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down