Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil? Toplef10Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil? I22gcj10Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil? Toplef10Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil? I22gcj10Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil?

+8
JohnKelly
AtlantaMarie
Kelejan
plantoid
camprn
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Triciasgarden
sanderson
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil? Empty Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil?

Post  sanderson 2/13/2015, 2:31 pm

We had the tree in the back yard removed and the stump ground down.  Any use for this product for non-MM use?  It's very fine sawdust plus some native soil.  Can I mix 6-month old horse manure 50/50 plus maybe some Ecoscrap compost and composted cow manure and use it immediately??  Can I move it and use for flowers beds in front?   Squash?  Frame some of it in place for a square flower bed?  I use the space near the large rose pot for some veggie pots during the heat wave and shade with curtain shears.  Otherwise, the material will go in the garbage can. Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil? Tree_c13
Closer view:  I had the crew save some stump sections as pot stands. Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil? Tree_c14
Fine texture, not a lot of soil but some: Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil? Tree_c15

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil? Empty Re: Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil?

Post  Triciasgarden 2/13/2015, 3:38 pm

That is beautiful stuff!

My two cents worth:  Since your sawdust is so fresh, as it breaks down, it will use up the nitrogen in the soil.  So if you use it in a bed, I would suggest you add something high in fresh nitrogen to balance out the wood.  Also, since it is sawdust and such small particles, it should break down very quickly and not need the nitrogen for very long.  How about watering it with some diluted urine, 20 parts water to one part the yellow stuff.

I think adding the older manure and compost would not accomplish the faster composting of the sawdust as something of a fresher nature.  Although adding those would be wonderful in the soil.

How nice to have fresh sawdust, I would not dump it in the garbage!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil? Empty Re: Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil?

Post  sanderson 2/13/2015, 4:04 pm

Tricia, Thank you. Yes, I hate to waste it. I won't be putting it in the sfg beds but I would like to use some of it.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/13/2015, 4:07 pm

PS  One of the guys wanted to engrave one of the stumps for me.  Here is what I chose. Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil? Tree_c16

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/13/2015, 5:30 pm

I had a trash can full of sawdust from a friend that is a woodworker. I mixed it in small portions with my compost pile or especially with the fresh kitchen waste in my tumbler. I like Tricia's suggestions as I have found even very small sized saw dust takes a long time to break down. You might also be able use the soil/sawdust mix as a top dressing on flower beds dusted with some manure or other high nitrogren item. I would experiment before going whole hog though Smile
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 2/13/2015, 5:46 pm

Sanderson, I forgot to say I like your ideas of using stumps to put your planter pots on!  I like your SFG stump!   I didn't notice at first the SFG because the middle of the stump has such a pretty color.

Audrey-Jeanne it's good to get information from someone like you who has had the sawdust and their experience with using it!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/13/2015, 5:49 pm

I would use it for flower beds and use a 10-10-10 fertilizer sprinkled on top. Then topdress with coffee grounds .

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/13/2015, 6:36 pm

Compost it with some manure & other green stuff keeping it covered with a weighted down tarp & carpeting to get it sweating and composting till autumn.
Then spread it over your flower beds good & thick to use it up .
As it is " Green wood "  chippings with earth it will break down far quicker than dried wood chips in a compost heap . 
You may find that you get some sort of toadstool fungi that grows on/in  dead tree roots/ foot prints growing where you spread it .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/13/2015, 8:22 pm

Maybe you could mix it with larger wood chips so that you get more air?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/14/2015, 1:15 am

Thanks folks. I used shavings for pets the first year and found they were still present through 3 compost cycles. These are very fine, so like Plantoid suggested, maybe by fall they would be sufficiently composted. Meanwhile, Camp's suggestion may allow me to use some of it for flowers.

DH wants to go to the coast next week - he wants to ride his toys. So, I'm thinking of sea weed!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/14/2015, 8:12 am

Woo-hoo!

Have fun!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/14/2015, 10:53 am

Have Fun!!!  When you mention seaweed, I laugh thinking of my dogs sneaking the seaweed off of my garden and eating it!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnKelly 2/14/2015, 8:37 pm

Same situation with me in The Land Down Under; just had a stump grinder remove the stump and have used the sawdust mixed with soil plus a few hand fulls of Dynamic Lifter to form a new garden bed.
JohnKelly
JohnKelly

Male Posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/15/2015, 1:34 am

Irish Digger, Are you using it in veggie beds or on the ground like row gardening? I really hate to waste such fine, clean sawdust.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnKelly 2/16/2015, 4:18 am

sanderson wrote:Irish Digger,  Are you using it in veggie beds or on the ground like row gardening?  I really hate to waste such fine, clean sawdust.
For use on veggie beds.

Cheers.
JohnKelly
JohnKelly

Male Posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/16/2015, 4:46 am

The wood will grab the nitrogen so it can decompose. Make sure you have enough nutrients in the mix. I'm going to use some in flower beds and compost the rest all summer with lots of horse manure.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 3/17/2018, 2:27 pm

I was wondering about the sawdust. I knew it would lock the nitrogen.  I just started my wood shop up again and will have LOTS of sawdust but luckily there are two places near me where I can get lots of horse manure.   Sawdust....  Think of it as using one hobby to feed another.
Think of it as using one hobby to feed another.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Using Sawdust In Your Compost Pile https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/ingredients/using-sawdust-in-your-compost-pile.htm
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 3/17/2018, 6:06 pm

Pretend its wood chip mulch.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/17/2018, 6:24 pm

sanderson wrote:PS  One of the guys wanted to engrave one of the stumps for me.  Here is what I chose. Any suggestions on the stump grinding sawdust plus soil? Tree_c16

+1
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/17/2018, 6:35 pm

TD, You remembered this photo?? Never mind, I just noticed it's within this post. Embarassed

If memory serves me, I spread a lot on the 1' x 50' worthless strip of dirt, then topped with cheap compost and coffee grounds with the ramial chips from the tree on top of all. The next summer I planted spare tomatoes and peppers and some tomato suckers. They did great.

In the 4' x 4' framed area of the tree stump, I added cheap compost to the stump grinding-dirt and planted flowers the following spring.

Mr. Booker, I would use the saw dust/shavings in a longer term compost pile, or mix like 50:50 with compost for flower beds. Hate to waste it. Do you have any trees to spread it around with some compost or organic plant food like Espoma - Plantone? You know, like ashes to ashes for the trees?

Last edited by sanderson on 3/17/2018, 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/17/2018, 6:37 pm

MrBooker wrote:I was wondering about the sawdust. I knew it would lock the nitrogen.  I just started my wood shop up again and will have LOTS of sawdust but luckily there are two places near me where I can get lots of horse manure.   Sawdust....  Think of it as using one hobby to feed another.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Using Sawdust In Your Compost Pile https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/ingredients/using-sawdust-in-your-compost-pile.htm

On my local authority council allotment I had a big compost heap , made up in layers of a foot of 7 yr old veterinary stable beddings & dung ,  a foot of fresh untreated green wood fine ( ish )  saw dust  . Built to a height of six foot or so tall with a base something like 20 foot by 15 foot . It took many 2 ton small tipper truck loads over a couple of weeks to build .

It was well wetted as it was being built & sheeted down to get it rotting when some "  *%^$£  pyromaniac "  set fire to it .
As it was far from any habitation or valuable property the fire people let it burn out naturally as access to it was very difficult . .  It burnt for two days along with my creosote soaked / pickled railway tie constructed 50 year old garden shed  roto-tiller , tools seeds , garden bench & seating .
It broke my heart ,  but every cloud has a silver lining ...... it give me a lot of sacks of potash to sell to the other allotment growers .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/17/2018, 7:08 pm

Plantoid, great ending for a sad story! $$

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/18/2018, 3:44 am

put soaker hose on it or place into a tub of water to get it very wet. it may take a couple of days to truly get the water to soak into the sawdust chips otherwise it will pull water out of your pile and takes a while to break down. After soaking you can allow it to break down on it own because it will cause fungi to grow on it to break it down. I would cover it to speed up the process and keep it moist.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 3/18/2018, 4:24 am

sanderson wrote:TD, You remembered this photo??  Never mind, I just noticed it's within this post.  Embarassed

If memory serves me, I spread a lot on the 1' x 50' worthless strip of dirt, then topped with cheap compost and coffee grounds with the ramial chips from the tree on top of all.  The next summer I planted spare tomatoes and peppers and some tomato suckers.  They did great.

In the 4' x 4' framed area of the tree stump, I added cheap compost to the stump grinding-dirt and planted flowers the following spring.

Mr. Booker, I would use the saw dust/shavings in a longer term compost pile, or mix like 50:50 with compost for flower beds.  Hate to waste it.  Do you have any trees to spread it around with some compost or organic plant food like Espoma - Plantone?  You know, like ashes to ashes for the trees?

Yes I have trees, bagged compost and Plantone but the Plantone is pretty expensive in my area. I use it in the sfg at planting time.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 3/18/2018, 7:36 pm

On my drive to the grocery store one of the corner houses took down a mature cottonwood-type tree late last summer.  And by mature I mean like trunk that had good 4-5 foot diameter.

Anyway their pile of sawdust looked way more woody than your's appear.  Six months later with regular watering, you can't tell it was there any more.  There's a bit of a mound but otherwise, just growing plants.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next