Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cats and lettuce / Dogs and carrots Toplef10Cats and lettuce / Dogs and carrots 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cats and lettuce / Dogs and carrots I22gcj10Cats and lettuce / Dogs and carrots 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cats and lettuce / Dogs and carrots Toplef10Cats and lettuce / Dogs and carrots 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cats and lettuce / Dogs and carrots I22gcj10Cats and lettuce / Dogs and carrots 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cats and lettuce / Dogs and carrots

+7
rabbithutch
herblover
manda99
AtlantaMarie
Dara
GloriaG
llama momma
11 posters

Go down

Cats and lettuce / Dogs and carrots Empty Cats and lettuce / Dogs and carrots

Post  llama momma 5/28/2014, 5:06 pm

This is new to me - just discovered my almost 'sweet 16' year old cat loves lettuce.  Little Gem lettuce from Ray Praxxus and Forellenshluss from Baker Creek.  What a surprise, guess I'll be growing extra lettuce now for Miss Daisy.  Rolling Eyes  Red romaine is almost ready too.  Can't find anything online that says its bad for cats.  I'll double check with the vet tomorrow.  

I've heard of dogs eating carrots too.     Wink    Wow, organic veggies for our pets!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Cats and lettuce / Dogs and carrots Empty Cats and lettuce / Dogs and carrots

Post  GloriaG 5/28/2014, 5:23 pm

Hi llama momma,

Yes - we have an older cat that also loves lettuce.  So - we have to be very careful not to leave any salads unattended - although she's not fond of salad dressing. 

When we have too much lettuce for a salad, we store it in plastic bags in the fridge.  She must be able to sense when we're getting lettuce bags out, because she comes running and will paw at us until we share. 

I spoke to the vet about her lust for lettuce and found out it's fine as long as there aren't any pesticides on it.

Her favorites seem to be loose leaf varieties like Grandpa Admires.
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Cats and lettuce / Dogs and carrots Empty Re: Cats and lettuce / Dogs and carrots

Post  llama momma 5/28/2014, 5:50 pm

GloriaG-- That's great the vet gave a thumbs up on lettuce for cats with no pesticides of course.  It was funny the way my cat took a quick sniff and tore right into the lettuce.  Hmm, now I'll be checking into other little garden treats to share with her.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Cats and lettuce / Dogs and carrots Empty Dogs and veggies

Post  Dara 5/28/2014, 7:17 pm

I had a cocker spaniel that LOVED my garden...she would nab a pea pod from the vine, chew it open, eat the peas, and spit the pod between the rows! I also had to fence my asparagus as she ate it off as soon as it appeared!  These 'new' pet foods that are veggie based just might be on to something...
Dara
Dara

Female Posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Cats and lettuce / Dogs and carrots Empty Re: Cats and lettuce / Dogs and carrots

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/29/2014, 8:28 am

My alpha husky, Nicky, would eat raw zukes all day long if I let him!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  manda99 5/29/2014, 9:41 am

I had to add fences around my lower SFG because my dog would eat every vegetable in there if I let him. He follows me when I garden because he knows I'll toss him the "imperfects". He'll eat a whole pepper or tomato or cucumber within seconds. I also found out the hard way last summer that newly picked vegetables left on the kitchen counter aren't safe. None of my snap peas ever even make it inside between the my son, neighborhood kids, and the dog. The dog will eat the pea steams, leaves, tendrils happily, too. He waits for me to toss them to him when I prune, lol. I always give him the pepper/tomato tops and cucumber skins as "treats" when I chop. Smile
manda99
manda99

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 5/29/2014, 9:46 am

We have always given our family dogs veggies; we did have a dog who would help himself to any ripe tomatoes before we could get to them though!
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  rabbithutch 5/29/2014, 10:43 am

Dogs will also eat onions, but it is not good for them because it contains a substance that cannot be broken down by enzymes their bodies make.  It is poisonous to dogs in the same sense that chocolate is . . .   depends on individual animals sensitivity, amount ingested, etc.

I'm glad to see that you folks checked with knowledgeable sources.  That is always the best idea.
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  tagyourit 5/29/2014, 11:17 am

Good to know about the onions.   I plant mine in the inside boxes but our dog has long reach so I will keep an eye out for that one.    We have been adopted by a stray and he has taken up residence in our garden.   At first I was not happy but then I noticed that the voles and squirrels were no longer waging war on my veggies so I told furball he could stay as long as he protects his land.
tagyourit
tagyourit

Female Posts : 48

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/29/2014, 1:27 pm

My cat stays out of the boxes but she loves corn stalks, bean, zinnia, catnip and young borage leaves.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 5/29/2014, 3:57 pm

Our dogs have eaten small amounts of cooked onion (leftover meatloaf or stir-fry, etc.) too many times to count, but I would never give it to them raw, and always try to remember not to give it to them cooked either.

Funny thing is, one of my dogs gets extremely excited when I chop raw onions and gives me the trademark imploring look and even occasionally a bark wanting one. I know if I drop a scrap on the ground, she'll gobble it up before I can stop her and no matter how quick and loud I try to shout her away. So I have to be very careful.

And she has gotten a stray chopped piece once in a rare while,, too. Thankfully she was fine. But I do my best to be careful.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/29/2014, 4:20 pm

My cat, Jasmine, LOVED cantaloupe!  It even sounded like she was meowing for it when ever we cut one up, "meolennnnnn...".  Too funny.  But she also loved getting cooked spaghetti on her back and trying to get it off.  That's how I tested it's done-ness...if it stuck to the cat it was ready.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 5/29/2014, 4:30 pm

LOL that sounds like a good way to get a very goopy cat!

I remember some show about leopards that live in a desert and get a lot of their moisture out of melons that grow wild there.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  rabbithutch 5/29/2014, 4:35 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:snip snip

Funny thing is, one of my dogs gets extremely excited when I chop raw onions and gives me the trademark imploring look and even occasionally a bark wanting one.  I know if I drop a scrap on the ground, she'll gobble it up before I can stop her and no matter how quick and loud I try to shout her away.  So I have to be very careful.  

And she has gotten a stray chopped piece once in a rare while,, too.  Thankfully she was fine.  But I do my best to be careful.

That's happened with my dachshunds, too.  It seems each of them has had a thing for raw onions.  Every time I slice or dice, they would stand around waiting for the inevitable piece to hit the floor and would get it before I could stop them.  There never was enough to make them ill, but I consulted my vet afterward which is where I learned that onion is not good for them.
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down