Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help - tomatoes blooming under lights Toplef10Help - tomatoes blooming under lights 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help - tomatoes blooming under lights I22gcj10Help - tomatoes blooming under lights 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help - tomatoes blooming under lights Toplef10Help - tomatoes blooming under lights 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help - tomatoes blooming under lights I22gcj10Help - tomatoes blooming under lights 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help - tomatoes blooming under lights

+4
Marc Iverson
southern gardener
brainchasm
landarch
8 posters

Go down

Help - tomatoes blooming under lights Empty Help - tomatoes blooming under lights

Post  landarch 4/16/2014, 11:01 pm

I think I may have started my tomatoes indoors too soon this year...plants are becoming large and setting bloom while still under my grow lights.  I have also been setting them outside for real sunshine when weather permits.

Should I just remove the tiny blossoms?  Do I pinch the entire plant back and let a new leader/ main stem develop after planting in the garden in a couple weeks?

Same thing is happening to my tomatillos.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Help - tomatoes blooming under lights Empty Re: Help - tomatoes blooming under lights

Post  brainchasm 4/17/2014, 2:10 am

Pinch the blooms off, and maybe lower them/move them a little further away from the light.  You don't want them to stall, but definitely try to slow them down until you can plant them out.

How are your overnight temps so far?  Which KC are you in?

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Help - tomatoes blooming under lights Empty Re: Help - tomatoes blooming under lights

Post  southern gardener 4/17/2014, 2:34 am

We went to a master gardener class on tomatoes last night. HE said to cut off the first two fruit stems to encourage more growth. He said once the plant starts setting fruit, it kind of slows down and thinks, "I'm good, I've reproduced".  I honestly have NO idea if he is right/wrong, but I'm gonna try it this year! He said the same for peppers. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, maybe try his idea since you're a little early??  Let us know Smile
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Help - tomatoes blooming under lights Empty blooms

Post  landarch 4/17/2014, 8:48 am

I may experiment with both...pinching blooms vs. pinching stems.  The blossoms are barely forming on a few plants (very tiny and green).  I still have a 2-3 weeks before planting.  We had an overnight temp of 24 a few days ago...and last year we had snow in early May.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 4/17/2014, 12:21 pm

I wonder if re-potting them,maybe a little early and as always with tomatoes too deep, might both slow them down a little because of transplant shock and divert some of their energy into growing new roots. Then you'd have to worry about still getting light to them properly at their new height, though. But that could be a good excuse for snipping off a few low stems that might then lie below the soil line, again sacrificing top growth but enhancing root growth.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/17/2014, 12:59 pm

I have a hand written note in my SFG book to put fast tomato plants in cool environment, in the 50's, to slow them down. I put mine in my window where it's in the 50's right now, and they go outside for hardening off when it's in the 50's.

Sorry, no idea where I got that info but it's what I do.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/17/2014, 1:45 pm

My guess is that your plants are ready to go out, but because they remain under lights, this is causing the plant stress, which will promote premature bloom.

My suggestion is to pot-up and pinch the blooms off then try to reduce any other factors that may be causing the plants stress.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Help - tomatoes blooming under lights WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 4/17/2014, 6:41 pm

thanks all for the info and advice...I'll let everyone know how it goes.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 4/18/2014, 12:52 am

I don't know if this would work, but also how about reducing the hours your plants have sunlight.  I would think that would slow them down some along with the pinching.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 4/18/2014, 8:08 am

I was thinking of leaving them in the dark while we travel for Easter weekend.  I have not been good with light consistency...some days too much light, others not enough.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 4/18/2014, 2:57 pm

landarch wrote:I think I may have started my tomatoes indoors too soon this year...plants are becoming large and setting bloom while still under my grow lights.  I have also been setting them outside for real sunshine when weather permits.

Should I just remove the tiny blossoms?  Do I pinch the entire plant back and let a new leader/ main stem develop after planting in the garden in a couple weeks?

Same thing is happening to my tomatillos.

Main thing is to not let them get potbound, and if they are blooming, they probably are. Bump them up into a larger container, if you can't set them out.

Otherwise they'll be fine.  I overwintered some tomato cuttings in my greenhouse. they have bloomed and set fruit this spring, before going out. I hope to have some very early tomatoes!
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down