Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Asparagus from seed in SFG Toplef10Asparagus from seed in SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Asparagus from seed in SFG I22gcj10Asparagus from seed in SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Asparagus from seed in SFG Toplef10Asparagus from seed in SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Asparagus from seed in SFG I22gcj10Asparagus from seed in SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Asparagus from seed in SFG

+2
FamilyGardening
Nadine Pinkerton
6 posters

Go down

Asparagus from seed in SFG Empty Asparagus from seed in SFG

Post  Nadine Pinkerton 2/21/2014, 12:00 am

Hello! I'm defying sensibility and trying to grow asparagus from seed (Mary Washington).  I've created an extra tall 4x4 and have it all nice and clean and composted and ready to fill with asparagus.  But I'm very confused about one thing.  I'm in the Pacific NW (Marine area)... Can I plant my seeds, spaced "correctly" and to the "correct" depth and then do the gradual dirt filling in as they grow and then just winter them right there in the square and let them grow from the crowns next Spring?  Do I have to transplant (move) the crowns next Spring?  It looks like there has been some success in the forums with growing asparagus from seed in a SFG, but I'm not clear if I need to replant them at some point.  Would appreciate any and all advice!
Nadine Pinkerton
Nadine Pinkerton

Back to top Go down

Asparagus from seed in SFG Empty Re: Asparagus from seed in SFG

Post  FamilyGardening 2/21/2014, 1:17 am

Im doing the same thing this year because after planting 6 two year old crowns about two years ago and only getting a couple tiny, thin hints of asparagus, I went ahead and bought some seeds that im going to just sprinkle into my asparagus box  Very Happy 

I have seen a video on this from a great gardener on youtube.....but im having a hard time finding the right video, as I believe he just sprinkled the seeds into the bed and didn't do anything transplanting and they grew great for him.....if I find it I will post it!

happy gardening
rose who hopes someone will come along with an answer  Very Happy
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 2/21/2014, 11:55 am

TRying reading through this discussion. Littlejo talks about her asparagus self seeding.

My guess is that if you have to take seedlings and then replant them deeper has to do with how deeply your ground freezes solid. This is my guess why I do not see wild asparagus around me, but did a zone or so warmer. Deep mulching could compensate to some degree.

I am just hoping my plants make it through this winter. I deep planted in a 12" bed 2 year crowns, 1 year crowns, and some seedlings, each a little higher up so not to overwhelm them. I intend to deep mulch them that survive and sprinkle some annual flowers to grow among the fronds. Now to see what survived

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Nadine Pinkerton 2/21/2014, 12:32 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I too have been wading through Youtube and past posts on this Forum and have gotten some great information, but nothing specific about successful direct sowing of asparagus without the transplant step  Sad .  Your thought about the level of ground freezing is a good one.  We are relatively temperate here on the Olympic Peninsula, but can have some hard freezes (this past winter for example was a bad one).  Being in a raised bed also seems to contribute to the degree of frozen earth.  I'm hoping that if I plant deep enough (without jeopardizing the initial seedling) and then cover and perhaps even surround the outer bed, with mulch over the winter, things might work out.  Would still love to hear from someone who actually did this though.
Nadine Pinkerton
Nadine Pinkerton

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 2/21/2014, 1:15 pm

I believe Littlejo did this. Maybe some one else. But Littlejo lives in SC, I do not know how your climates compare.
In zone 5/6 asparagus self seeds and grows wild in the ditch banks. No one is transplanting those seedlings to deeper depths. But what is probably crucial is that it is banks with excellent drainage, much like a raised bed...

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 2/21/2014, 10:21 pm

Well this is just my experience.  I know that in the north 1/3 of the country you can find wild stands of asparagus that come up year after year with no care taken for them. My brother who is in Central Michigan tells me you can locate old abandoned farm site by the asparagus beds that still exist. I am located in the north panhandle of Florida. I have had an asparagus "Clump" ongoing in a Rubbermaid Storage Tub for 5 years now... I don't get a huge harvest, but I'm the only one in the house that eats asparagus so its enough...Wink Every year I have a number of new tiny plants that come up from the "berries" that fall off the plants..I am seriously thinking of devoting one of my two meager 2 by 6 beds to asparagus.. I enjoy it just that much..Smile I have found it very easy to take care of, just keep it moistly watered, add some compost from time to time, and if I have any extra compost or fish emulsion tea I add that as well.
I have found asparagus to be very forgiving..
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Asparagus from seed in SFG Empty Unexpected asparagus in NH

Post  edfhinton 2/21/2014, 10:48 pm

Back in the late 1980s and the 1990s, we discovered single and small clumps of asparagus growing in the back yard of the house I had in Goffstown, NH.  We didn't plant it.  It was just there growing year after year 4 to 5 feet tall.  Since it was there from before we bought the house, I don't know how long it had been growing there or how deep the roots were, but it came back year after year so the NH winters were not killing it.

-Ed
edfhinton
edfhinton

Male Posts : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/16/2014, 1:02 am

happy to report that we were able to eat 1 nice size asparagus this year! after all this time some came up....we left the couple others as they were a bit thinner then the one we gobbled up  Razz 

after they turned into ferns.....something exciting happened....

a few baby asparagus ferns are coming up from sowing the package of asparagus seeds into our asparagus bed in the spring Very Happy I will keep ya posted on how they end up doing next year....I will take some photos if anyone is interested  Very Happy so far I would say about 6 ferns are up from those seeds.....

and the ones we didn't eat have gone to seed as well.....hmmm

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  westie 6/17/2014, 3:47 am

A friend hunts ditch asparagus and supplies enough for himself his two daughters and me to each freeze around 25 bags besides fresh used. Personally I would not put it in a sfg unless you want that box dedicated to just asparagus. The tops would shadow anything else near it and tops are necessary for the root system to store energy for winter and new growth. The roots will grow over 10 feet deep in time and the clump will continually spread out in the direction it decides too. My 30 year old clump now covers a 3x10 foot area in my regular garden area.
westie
westie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down