Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Use home canned toms for some fresh V8? Toplef10Use home canned toms for some fresh V8? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Use home canned toms for some fresh V8? I22gcj10Use home canned toms for some fresh V8? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Use home canned toms for some fresh V8? Toplef10Use home canned toms for some fresh V8? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Use home canned toms for some fresh V8? I22gcj10Use home canned toms for some fresh V8? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Use home canned toms for some fresh V8?

+3
Marc Iverson
camprn
llama momma
7 posters

Go down

Use home canned toms for some fresh V8? Empty Use home canned toms for some fresh V8?

Post  llama momma 1/21/2014, 8:40 am

It's January, it's snowing, and I'm a newbie canner.  
Do you think I can use a jar of my preserved tomatoes to make a batch of V8 juice? Has anyone done this?  I can't find any topics online that use home canned tomatoes.  Seems all the recipes use fresh tomatoes, which I did in the summer and it was so tasty. I'd like to duplicate the results.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Use home canned toms for some fresh V8? Empty Re: Use home canned toms for some fresh V8?

Post  camprn 1/21/2014, 10:30 am

llama momma wrote:It's January, it's snowing, and I'm a newbie canner.  
Do you think I can use a jar of my preserved tomatoes to make a batch of V8 juice? Has anyone done this?  I can't find any topics online that use home canned tomatoes.  Seems all the recipes use fresh tomatoes, which I did in the summer and it was so tasty.  I'd like to duplicate the results.
found in the food section under beverages.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t12573-juice?highlight=vegetable+juice

and then there is the Boffer is a Juicer thread.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Use home canned toms for some fresh V8? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Use home canned toms for some fresh V8? Empty Re: Use home canned toms for some fresh V8?

Post  llama momma 1/21/2014, 11:10 am

Came across most of those references already.  The question was about using preserved tomatoes vs. fresh to make V8, and if anyone tried it and what they thought of it.  Seems to me I'd be cooking the heck out of the tomatoes twice and I have no idea if that would wreck the quality overall. But maybe I'm looking for a problem that doesn't exist in this case.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/21/2014, 11:29 am

I imagine it would not be all that different to use homemade canned tomatoes and fresh tomatoes. I'm sorry I seem to have misunderstood your question. I have used canned tomato juice with satisfaction.

I think if you want duplicate results from using fresh tomatoes, that is probably what to use.

If you give the canned tomatoes a go, please do let us know if you liked the results as much as when you used fresh tomatoes.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Use home canned toms for some fresh V8? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/21/2014, 2:03 pm

Appreciate the input. I'll try it out. Hope it's not a waste of a quart of toms.
Will do a follow up too.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/21/2014, 3:20 pm

I make delicious tomato gazpacho and don't cook the tomatoes. I don't know why you would feel you had to cook the tomatoes unless you prefer that "cooked" taste. I like V8 a lot, but think the taste of fresh tomato gazpacho is much brighter and more appealing. I drink it out of a glass most of the time. That summer freshness would be very appealing right now.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 1/21/2014, 3:56 pm

Hey Marc, what is tomato gazpacho? I love V8 and curious how it compares to TG?

bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/21/2014, 4:07 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:I make delicious tomato gazpacho and don't cook the tomatoes.  I don't know why you would feel you had to cook the tomatoes unless you prefer that "cooked" taste.  I like V8 a lot, but think the taste of fresh tomato gazpacho is much brighter and more appealing.  I drink it out of a glass most of the time.  That summer freshness would be very appealing right now.

The tomatoes have been quasi-cooked first then boiled in the water bath canner.  Then, the recipe calls for tomatoes to be cooked with onion and celery.  So there's a third stage of cooking.  After all this cooking I have to wonder if there is any nutrition left in the tomatoes!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/21/2014, 4:14 pm

Gazpacho is a traditional Spanish soup served cold. The two most well-known types are a white one made with ground almonds and a red one made with tomatoes and usually cucumber, finely chopped, and onion. You can strain it if you like, or leave it chunky. I like a little texture in it, myself, but not so much that you have to eat it rather than drink it. Epicurious.com has recipes for it, and recipes are easy to find elsewhere on the web. There are some youtube videos on it too. I think it's wonderfully refreshing, but would rather sip it from a glass or cup than go to the trouble of eating it out of a bowl.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 1/21/2014, 4:22 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:Gazpacho is a traditional Spanish soup served cold.  The two most well-known types are a white one made with ground almonds and a red one made with tomatoes and usually cucumber, finely chopped, and onion.  You can strain it if you like, or leave it chunky.  I like a little texture in it, myself, but not so much that you have to eat it rather than drink it.  Epicurious.com has recipes for it, and recipes are easy to find elsewhere on the web.  There are some youtube videos on it too.  I think it's wonderfully refreshing, but would rather sip it from a glass or cup than go to the trouble of eating it out of a bowl.

Thanks Marc, I always enjoy trying new things.
bnoles

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/21/2014, 4:47 pm

This is off the top of my head so take it with a caveat.I was in too much of a hurry when canning and left the skins and seeds in my tomatoes. I needed some tomatoes that were smoother for a sauce so I poured the jar into a large strainer( Like a tea strainer but larger) and just mashed the pulp through with my hands. Sot a nice fine but still pulpy mix at the end. Finely chop or liquify your cukes and onions in a food processor and add to the tomato pulp. No second cooking.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/21/2014, 5:38 pm

Thank you K!  But  I missed your post cause I was in the kitchen chopping and putting everything in the pot and it's all gently simmering.  Tomorrow it will go in the blender then strained.   At least my kitchen smells like V8 for now!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/21/2014, 5:39 pm

llama momma wrote:
Marc Iverson wrote:I make delicious tomato gazpacho and don't cook the tomatoes.  I don't know why you would feel you had to cook the tomatoes unless you prefer that "cooked" taste.  I like V8 a lot, but think the taste of fresh tomato gazpacho is much brighter and more appealing.  I drink it out of a glass most of the time.  That summer freshness would be very appealing right now.

The tomatoes have been quasi-cooked first then boiled in the water bath canner.  Then, the recipe calls for tomatoes to be cooked with onion and celery.  So there's a third stage of cooking.  After all this cooking I have to wonder if there is any nutrition left in the tomatoes!

Taste and fiber! A lot of vitamins are destroyed by heat, but that's the tradeoff to have homegrown in the off season!  Very Happy 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/21/2014, 5:52 pm

I'll go with that!  Use home canned toms for some fresh V8? 3170584802
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 1/21/2014, 6:31 pm

Bet that will be some great V8 LM
bnoles

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/22/2014, 10:03 am

The experiment using a preserved quart jar of tomatoes
(instead of fresh tomatoes) to make V8 juice is a smashing success.  
This morning I'm enjoying the taste of summer in mid January.  Smile   
Saved the pulp into a freezer zip-lock bag to break off and toss into soups, sauces, whatever. I will do this again and again.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 1/22/2014, 9:04 pm

Sounds really good Gina, wish I had some Smile
bnoles

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/23/2014, 5:23 am

You will, Bob!  You'll be enjoying yummy fresh red tomatoes when mine are still immature.
 cherry  cherry   cherry  (ok these are cherries not tomatoes but its the closest choice available)
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/23/2014, 8:29 am

llama momma wrote:
 cherry  cherry   cherry  (ok these are cherries not tomatoes but its the closest choice available)

Call them Cherry Tomatoes!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/23/2014, 8:34 am

You clever girl
 rofl 
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down