Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Boy did it get COLD - Page 3 Toplef10Boy did it get COLD - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Boy did it get COLD - Page 3 I22gcj10Boy did it get COLD - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Boy did it get COLD - Page 3 Toplef10Boy did it get COLD - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Boy did it get COLD - Page 3 I22gcj10Boy did it get COLD - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Boy did it get COLD

+16
Turan
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
GloriaG
Kelejan
jimmy cee
boffer
donnainzone5
walshevak
johnp
audrey.jeanne.roberts
CapeCoddess
sanderson
plantoid
camprn
mschaef
20 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Boy did it get COLD - Page 3 Empty Re: Boy did it get COLD

Post  sanderson 12/9/2013, 2:32 am

For those in the extreme areas, I don't know how you do it.  I have my little heating pad as I sit here in flannels and sweat shirt.  My DH is from Missouri.  One year he had to go back in January - snow and cold.  Suddenly, my California didn't seem so bad!  Good thing, because we are going on 22 years.

Marc, I think CC meant the hot water heater.  There is a draining faucet at the bottom of the tank.

Good luck to all you hardy souls.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/9/2013, 10:50 am

sanderson wrote:...Marc, I think CC meant the hot water heater.  There is a draining faucet at the bottom of the tank...

I thought that odd too, but maybe he has an on-demand, instant water heater ie. no tank?  

CapeCoddess wrote:...Can you use the water in your water tank?  There's a faucet at the bottom of mine and I always figured I could use that if my pipes freeze...

Definitely a good idea, but be aware there will probably be a lot of rusty sediment to drain out before you get to the clean water.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 12/9/2013, 11:20 am

It hasn't been that cold here yet, but predictions for the end of this week are in the single digits which is unusual for this time of year. We also had about 4 inches of snow on Friday; that is alot in one storm for us. Ours usually comes in 1-2 inch waves.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 12/9/2013, 1:20 pm

welp. Mr. Frost finally showed up and took care of our peppers, eggplant, beans and tomatoes. I consider us lucky compared to others! Stay warm out there!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 12/9/2013, 2:03 pm

boffer wrote:
sanderson wrote:...Marc, I think CC meant the hot water heater.  There is a draining faucet at the bottom of the tank...

I thought that odd too, but maybe he has an on-demand, instant water heater ie. no tank?  

CapeCoddess wrote:...Can you use the water in your water tank?  There's a faucet at the bottom of mine and I always figured I could use that if my pipes freeze...

Definitely a good idea, but be aware there will probably be a lot of rusty sediment to drain out before you get to the clean water.

We do have an on-demand heater, but we have a tank of some sort too. I didn't look for a faucet at the bottom of it. We definitely aren't getting hot or cold water, now.

Re draining out all the rusty water etc, I'm glad that might be an option, but it sounds just as clean and drinkable to get snow from outside and let it melt, like I did yesterday. I boiled a couple of pots of it on the stove, just in case, filled up a gallon jug, and put a pitcher of it in the fridge, to.

What I really find irritating is that if I have to do serious potty, I'll have to run to the neighbors or take my butt out into the freezing woods behind the house, both of which sound quite uncomfortable, especially considering I have a short countdown before take-off, if you follow my meaning.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 12/9/2013, 2:05 pm

sanderson wrote: My oranges are ripe (second photo) whereas last year they weren't until January.  I need to pick them just to make sure I have some for my orange cookies for Christmas.
Boy did it get COLD - Page 3 Ice_1210

Boy did it get COLD - Page 3 Ice_2_10

sanderson, one of my favorite treats during the summer is a frozen orange. Shame if you lose all your crop, though. I'd be happy to have plenty of frozen ones in my freezer, though.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/9/2013, 2:18 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:...What I really find irritating is that if I have to do serious potty, I'll have to run to the neighbors or take my butt out into the freezing woods behind the house, both of which sound quite uncomfortable, especially considering I have a short countdown before take-off, if you follow my meaning.

Boy did it get COLD - Page 3 143910

Wink 
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 12/9/2013, 2:39 pm

I find it odd that our local newspaper has printed no feature articles about this cold wave, just notices of cancellation of school and the annual Christmas parade.

Supposedly, the low temperatures here were -24F and -27F over the weekend. Shouldn't that be newsworthy?
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/9/2013, 3:20 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:I find it odd that our local newspaper has printed no feature articles about this cold wave, just notices of cancellation of school and the annual Christmas parade.  

Supposedly, the low temperatures here were -24F and -27F over the weekend.  Shouldn't that be newsworthy?
Everyone probably already knows, unless there are cold related deaths or it's record cold, I cannot imagine it's news. Was it a record over the weekend?

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?location=USOR0031

http://weatherspark.com/#!dashboard;q=Bend%20Oregon

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Boy did it get COLD - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 12/9/2013, 3:42 pm

Camp,

According to The Weather Channel, a record was broken for December 9:

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/97702
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/9/2013, 4:32 pm

Donna, it looks like your average winter lows in Dec is 24°.  I also think a temp that is 50° colder than average is newsworthy.

Puget Sound media are going crazy about our temps in the teens, warning about exposure dangers and listing available warming shelters for homeless people.

Of course, around here, people go nuts just at the thought of snowflakes!  Shocked
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 12/10/2013, 6:07 pm

Donna I agree, it's odd that it didn't make the news.  The news stations here take the weather very seriously - often going into full time programming when we get some snow or ice, overriding regular broadcasts for hour upon hour of shots of bundled up newscasters at various locations around the city, pointing to a car in a ditch or scooping up a handful of snow.  

My sister is getting married June 21st in Alaska.  The kids' last day of school was scheduled for June 17th, so we were going to be able to go but without much time to spare.  Two weather cancellations this year already means school isn't getting out until June 19th.  Phooey.  There wasn't even any more snow overnight. Seems like they used to just put chains on if it's ice they were worried about. Hope there aren't any more cancellations.

BTW, I have a friend from college who went back up to Montana a few years back to take over the family cattle ranch.  This was his facebook post a few days ago:
Boy did it get COLD - Page 3 Captur11

Ha! Now THAT's cold!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 12/10/2013, 7:33 pm

I was thinking that perhaps the media is being pressured in some way to avoid publishing such news in order to prevent people from questioning Global Warming.

However, the Bend Bulletin finally ran an article today about the cold weather.

Nevertheless, others around the country have noticed an apparent paucity of such news.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/11/2013, 6:21 pm

Marc, have you gotten your indoor water running yet?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Boy did it get COLD - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 12/11/2013, 9:52 pm

Nope. Called the local well service today and they told me there were 200 people ahead of me, and that they'd try to get to me on Friday.

Took a closer look at the well head, which has a doghouse-sized wooden enclosure with no accessible openings. Could still stick half a face under the eaves to see the well pump where it meets the pipe that goes into the ground. Looks like an inch or so of insulation is still right by the join, but the rest of the pipe goes bare into the ground. My guess is someone got in there to repair something at one point, tore off the insulation, but was too foolish or lazy or cheap to re-insulate it. There's plenty of unsealed space around the well head, and no heat source is nearby, so the whole area is basically ambient temperature. Which was getting into the low teens. D'oh! I guess problems were inevitable once we got a cold enough winter ... which is now. Really poorly done. *sigh* Oregon workmanship.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/11/2013, 11:13 pm

The culprit could be a rodent or Oregon workmanship.  The pump should be way, way down in the casing, so it is at least protected.  The cold weather wells I inspected when I worked usually had an electrical heating wire to prevent freezing.  Then plenty of insulation wrapped around the pipe and heating wire until the supply pipe was well buried.

Caution:  sticking your head into a well shed/box could result in. . . wasp sting in the summer, black widow bite, startled rodent, etc.   affraid

Okay, another sanderson work story:  I almost cold-cocked myself twice with rodents.  One, I was creeping into a small, short area to check out rat control effectiveness in a restaurant.  My flashlight caught 2 shiny beady eyes staring at me.  'Whack' when I jerked upright.  The rat was dead in a trap but facing me.  Second time, I was checking a condiment cabinet for mice.  I don't know who scared whom the most, but when the mouse jumped straight up, I jerked back and . .  waiting. . .waiting . . whack!  It's so hard to be dignified when you feel like passing out.

Oh, duh. Marc, do you have a top-mount turbine well pump? I re-read your post. That style is rarely used on domestic wells so I didn't think of that.

Last edited by sanderson on 12/12/2013, 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added last paragraph)
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 12/12/2013, 1:05 am

Hey all we survived the server cold and even broke the record a few days to boot. My kids have yet to go out and play in the snow due to a stomach bug that was passed around last week and me having surgery this week. Think I might send them out tomorrow with the hubby so I can get a nap in. Glad everyone is staying warm.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/12/2013, 11:11 am

Marc Iverson wrote:Nope.  Called the local well service today and they told me there were 200 people ahead of me, and that they'd try to get to me on Friday.  

Took a closer look at the well head, which has a doghouse-sized wooden enclosure with no accessible openings.  Could still stick half a face under the eaves to see the well pump where it meets the pipe that goes into the ground.  Looks like an inch or so of insulation is still right by the join, but the rest of the pipe goes bare into the ground.  My guess is someone got in there to repair something at one point, tore off the insulation, but was too foolish or lazy or cheap to re-insulate it.  There's plenty of unsealed space around the well head, and no heat source is nearby, so the whole area is basically ambient temperature.  Which was getting into the low teens.  D'oh!  I guess problems were inevitable once we got a cold enough winter ... which is now.  Really poorly done.  *sigh*  Oregon workmanship.

It must have been done by a Welshman from Ammanford South Wales UK because it is the identical standard here & has been for donkey's years    Laughing

Marc ,you'll have to construct a bigger dog kennel to go over the present one and this time double skin it say three inches between the skins so there are no cold bridges .

Fill the skin with a quality aerosol of injected expanding foam for a bit of insulation .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 12/12/2013, 1:43 pm

My low today was 10.4 degrees; it isn't supposed to be anywhere near our average low of 28.  We have already had more snow so far this late fall (it isn't even officially winter yet!) than we did the entire winter 2 years ago!
herblover
herblover

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 12/13/2013, 9:03 am

After a solid week of below freezing temps. it finally got to 36 degrees last Wed. and yesterday it hit 52 degrees. I was out throwing the ball to our ballaholic lab. and went out to the garden. Low and behold the spinach is still alive and I have new growth on a parsley plant I had left this fall. No protection on any, just some snow.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/13/2013, 9:33 am

herblover wrote:...  We have already had more snow so far this late fall (it isn't even officially winter yet!) than we did the entire winter 2 years ago!

And here we are Herblover, more unseasonable cold with snow on the ground and another 1-3+ inches expected tonight.  The llamas and barn cats are spending a lot of time sitting outside on the dry rubber matted porch, under the extended barn roof, staring at the snow.  Llamas eventually start neck wrestling matches. One pair will start up and it will get the others going sometimes.  Then it looks like a playground out there.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 12/13/2013, 3:17 pm

LM; I am in the 4-6 inch snow range and we haven't seen the ground for days!  My DH keeps whining about getting the last of the leaves picked up; I do think he has finally accepted that their will be no final mowing though!  Stay safe and warm; the llama wrestling would be well worth some pics!
herblover
herblover

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/13/2013, 6:53 pm

Herblover
I'm ashamed to say I didn't finish my composting.  Have to roll with mother nature's punches.  Re: llamas, there is video capability on the camera, haven't used it in awhile and should reacquaint myself with the feature.  May be fun and entertaining to share a neck wrestling match on the forum, since things are a little quiet compared to summer time chatter.  
 Smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/14/2013, 1:32 pm

Please do, LLM. Our very own exclusive UTube Video. Unless it goes viral.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/14/2013, 2:38 pm

Sure Kelejan, I'll keep an eye out for their playtime antics. 
 jocolor
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next