Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
When is the cool season growth supposed to start? Toplef10When is the cool season growth supposed to start? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

When is the cool season growth supposed to start? I22gcj10When is the cool season growth supposed to start? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
When is the cool season growth supposed to start? Toplef10When is the cool season growth supposed to start? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

When is the cool season growth supposed to start? I22gcj10When is the cool season growth supposed to start? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

When is the cool season growth supposed to start?

4 posters

Go down

When is the cool season growth supposed to start? Empty When is the cool season growth supposed to start?

Post  Marc Iverson 10/27/2013, 2:17 am

I planted spinach starting in July. It failed to germinate. I kept planting. It started to germinate. So I planted more, in a relatively shady place, in August. Then some more in September and October. What have I got? One planting has thin leaves that look like grass blades, maybe three inches long, two or three per plant. Another later planting has two tiny leaves, anywhere from a quarter inch to an inch long. I'm not impressed.

I planted lettuce, pretty much the same pattern. Some grew well starting from August, though. I got a few bitter plants that leaped for the sky which I finally pulled out because they never shook their unpleasant taste, and perhaps a dozen survivors that found their happiness at an inch high and stayed there.

Most of the lettuce is uncovered, but a single pot of lettuce is covered and finally giving a real leaf or two. All the spinach is uncovered.

Should I expect anything better, or is this as good as it gets? It's hard to believe there will be anything worth harvesting through the winter, covers or no covers, at this rate.

P.S.: My kale, covered or uncovered, also thinks half an inch to an inch is delightful. If only more often such were an easy sell.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

When is the cool season growth supposed to start? Empty Re: When is the cool season growth supposed to start?

Post  littlejo 10/27/2013, 8:52 am

Well Marc, sounds like you need some nitrogen. I don't know how your compost is, but lettuce, spinach, and kale all take nitrogen like candy. Something liquid would be good, worm or compost tea, any organic fertilizer mixed in some water well, so you could pour it on/near plants,(so as not to disturb plants by digging) . Any heat in air will prevent these from germinating. Winter salads are great!
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

When is the cool season growth supposed to start? Empty Re: When is the cool season growth supposed to start?

Post  camprn 10/27/2013, 9:11 am

Autumn plants do not grow is vigorously or as big. Maybe you need to beef up your compost but most likely what you see is what you're going to get at this point. All of my late season spinach is also quite small.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

When is the cool season growth supposed to start? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/27/2013, 9:50 am

I've found that the best way for me to get the greens to grow in autumn/winter is to start them indoors or plant them direct when needed in order to be full grown by fall.  Also, I use a lot of diluted urine to add the nitrogen that is needed to keep them going.  Seems to work.
Buttercrunch in a 5 gal bucket of MM started inside in 6 packs: When is the cool season growth supposed to start? 100_0311 
I have more buttercrunch and romaine scattered around the SFGs from this method.

Below are plants from seeds probably started in August, then I used a row cover for shade once sprouted.
6 sqs clockwise from top left -beets, Black Simpson lettuce, pak choi, spinach, carrots, collards: When is the cool season growth supposed to start? 100_0312

I find that kale needs to be full grown by fall for me.  These 2 sqs of dwarf kale (the smallest plants in the photo) were direct seeded in Sept & are only medium sized, but I don't mind since I have another box full of matured dwarf kale: When is the cool season growth supposed to start? 100_0313

Mature dwarf kale, front box, & collards, next box, that have been harvested many times all spring, summer & fall: When is the cool season growth supposed to start? 100_0314
We'll be harvesting them again today.

The row cover came off once the weather stayed in or below 70 and goes back on during the nights when the temps drop to 37 or below.  Once we hit freezing I'll start using the plastic.

Of course every area is different.  You'll get to know the timing of your area soon. Wink 

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down