Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
To those of you with compost tumblers - Page 3 Toplef10To those of you with compost tumblers - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

To those of you with compost tumblers - Page 3 I22gcj10To those of you with compost tumblers - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
To those of you with compost tumblers - Page 3 Toplef10To those of you with compost tumblers - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

To those of you with compost tumblers - Page 3 I22gcj10To those of you with compost tumblers - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 12:13

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 14:20

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed 24 Apr 2024 - 16:08

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed 24 Apr 2024 - 9:13

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed 24 Apr 2024 - 5:16

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue 23 Apr 2024 - 17:52

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue 23 Apr 2024 - 10:53

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon 22 Apr 2024 - 22:36

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon 22 Apr 2024 - 13:57

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon 22 Apr 2024 - 11:07

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon 22 Apr 2024 - 7:36

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun 21 Apr 2024 - 14:02

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun 21 Apr 2024 - 5:00

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun 21 Apr 2024 - 3:56

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat 20 Apr 2024 - 14:25

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat 20 Apr 2024 - 12:08

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 8:19

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu 18 Apr 2024 - 20:22

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 21:25

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 15:17

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 5:04

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:22

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:15

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:37

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:33

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 14:50

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:24

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:16

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed 10 Apr 2024 - 10:43

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 19:28

Google

Search SFG Forum

To those of you with compost tumblers

+14
Lemonie
brainchasm
GloriaG
sanderson
Veteran Compost
rgrider
camprn
GWN
plantoid
No_Such_Reality
donnainzone5
jimmy cee
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Partsgal
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

To those of you with compost tumblers - Page 3 Empty Re: To those of you with compost tumblers

Post  GWN Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 15:52

Laughing you think of everything Plantoid. ... thanks
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

To those of you with compost tumblers - Page 3 Empty Re: To those of you with compost tumblers

Post  jimmy cee Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 19:01

GWN wrote:
plantoid wrote: GWN do you have any adjustable air vents on the tumbler ?  It sounds a though it is too wet all the time.
Perhaps used less wet greenery  & open any vents you might have.

You know I think you may have a point there
I wonder if there was an opening at the bottom (or at least what is usually the bottom) to drain xs water out....  I wonder if I need to drill a few holes.
I will have to see if there is a place where rain water gets in
Thanks Plantoid
To those of you with compost tumblers - Page 3 Tumble10
This tumbler is sitting upright, door at top and 5 holes on the bottom for drainage. The liquid will drain out regardless of where one wants it to go. It can be directed into the lower stand (tank) or just left to drain to the ground.
A cap is in place to be able to drain the leachette to use..
When temps go down to winter weather this tumbler isn't going to heat up, above freezing and the right ratio's it very well may.
I'm going to wait till temps get into the 40s and stay there, then I'll load it up full to the door, it will have lots of frozen and thawed kitchen scraps, so I am going to add lots of browns, the I will keep it tumbling every day..
It does have vents on both sides.
Last summer my batch became very anaerobic, I believe I had not enough brown material in it.
If this doesn't work I'll most likely get rid of it, I'lll tell some one how good it works, just the way I've been told.... Very Happy
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Baysidebob Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 19:18

Anyone who is disgusted, disappointed and wanting to do away with their tumbler I'll pay for shipping to send it to me.
Baysidebob
Baysidebob

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach Thu 16 Jan 2014 - 21:40

You can buy one at the store for the price of shipping Bob!  You should check out Rooster's homemade tumbler!!  Anyone remember the thread this is on?
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  roaminroad Tue 28 Jan 2014 - 9:41

I've had good luck with compressed pine pellets used for horse bedding for my browns. I add about 1.5 cups of pellets per gallon of kitchen scraps. My tumbler has stayed in the 120's to 150's throughout the winter. It completely froze while I was away over Christmas. 

I put boiling water in mason jars, and put them in the tumbler overnight. After several days, this helped thaw and warm the tumbler back up.

Just remember to get the jars out before you start spinning the tumbler again! I had one disappear for a couple of weeks before coming back to the surface!

When I have had problems with compost balling up in the tumbler, I used a small hand rake to break things up, then dumped more pellets on top and gave it another good spin. Usually, there was a moist inner core that was attracting drier particles to it. 

I'm new to composting, but that's what I've learned so far from my tumbler!
roaminroad
roaminroad

Male Posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid Tue 28 Jan 2014 - 10:06

Baysidebob wrote:Anyone who is disgusted, disappointed and wanting to do away with their tumbler I'll pay for shipping to send it to me.

Bob does that offer stand for me ? I live in the UK adjacent to Europe  Laughing  Laughing  Wink
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN Tue 28 Jan 2014 - 11:29

WOW roaminroad, that was a great post.  I have been unable to ever heat mine past about 50 degrees any time of the year, that is so encouraging. Perhaps I need to just try a big harder, and find something like those pellets.

Thanks
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson Tue 28 Jan 2014 - 16:28

Your ratio with those pine pellets was interesting; very low carbon. I haven't had much success, especially keeping any volume, in my open-air pile without keeping the carbon at a much higher ratio.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm Tue 28 Jan 2014 - 17:49

So a week or so ago, I did as planned and chippered everything to a uniform small size, and combined my three piles/batches.

We are hitting 60-70deg air temps during the day, down into 40s and occasionally high 30s at night.  It is very arid here.

Watered the batch, and within a few days I hit a sustained 80degF.  Saved up some uh, human(me)-sourced high-nitrogen liquid, and dosed the pile last night.  With that, the sun today, and a good turn this past weekend, we'll see where we are.  If temps are up but not high enough, I'll save some more "used water", and dose it again.

The things I do for gardening, I swear...

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3