Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
To those of you with compost tumblers Toplef10To those of you with compost tumblers 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

To those of you with compost tumblers I22gcj10To those of you with compost tumblers 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
To those of you with compost tumblers Toplef10To those of you with compost tumblers 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

To those of you with compost tumblers I22gcj10To those of you with compost tumblers 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

To those of you with compost tumblers

+14
Lemonie
brainchasm
GloriaG
sanderson
Veteran Compost
rgrider
camprn
GWN
plantoid
No_Such_Reality
donnainzone5
jimmy cee
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Partsgal
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

To those of you with compost tumblers Empty To those of you with compost tumblers

Post  Partsgal 10/8/2013, 5:52 pm

I have read quite a few of the posts in the composting area. I recently bought and have received a tumbler. The instructions are pretty simple. This one says to add everything all at once and do not add more except in the case of too wet or dry. I am wondering since we in our area are heading into winter do they work in the winter as well or should I wait til spring? I am not going to have my yard stuff ready for a while yet so I might be just at winter when I get it filled. Our front deck faces the south so I plan to put it there, or would it be better if I keep it in the garage? Any help will be appreciated!
Partsgal
Partsgal

Back to top Go down

To those of you with compost tumblers Empty Re: To those of you with compost tumblers

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/8/2013, 8:50 pm

We have such mild winters that I can't really give you advice that would apply to where you are.

However, here's a little tip I learned.  On your first batch be sure you use some old compost to "seed" your new tumbler and then don't wash it out  in between loads.  It's sort of like yogurt cultures, the bacteria need to be innoculated into the tumbler to get things rolling.

I have made my compost adding constantly and I can tell you it just never seems to get all the way done, so I would absolutely do what they say :-)  Or at least add ingredients to the point where you get full and then stop adding.

My tumbler has never heated up much, but it still has composted the material over time.  

Good luck!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

To those of you with compost tumblers Empty Re: To those of you with compost tumblers

Post  jimmy cee 10/8/2013, 10:17 pm

Last season was my first for a tumbler, worked ok, however all I got was a ball of gook.
Not giving up, here is what I am going to do this year.
All kitchen scraps, turn every day or whenever I pass by., add enough browns to keep it from becoming to wet.
I dont think I kept enough brown material, it became to wet and balled up...
People have had success with tumblers, work with it and eventually you'll succeed.
To those of you with compost tumblers Compos10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 10/9/2013, 11:23 am

It also helps to chop things up a bit.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/9/2013, 12:20 pm

I keep a bag of shredded bills and material right next to the tumbler and add it each time I add kitchen scraps.  I also have added leaves when available or sawdust that we get from a friend of ours who does woodwork.  

Now I have a huge pile of woodchips for mulch (mixed materials small branches with leaves from a tree service).  I assume I could add that as my brown as well.  I'm going to experiment with it with the next batch I do.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 10/9/2013, 6:24 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:It also helps to chop things up a bit.
I think this statement says alot when it come to composting.
Tiny pieces are so much better
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/9/2013, 8:45 pm

My husband is so sweet to me that he spends the time to chop up anything that's too large that's in my compost pile bowl before taking it outside.  (Forget roses - that man knows the way to this girl's heart <3 !!)

It really does make a difference, I heard it explained this way:  The more surface area you have the more effective the bacteria are in breaking down the material.  So when you chop a large piece of material into small pieces you massively increase the surface area they can work on.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Partsgal 10/22/2013, 3:58 pm

On the topic of chopping do you need to chop finer things like carrot and potato peelings? Also Jimmy Cee I see that your picture of your tumbler is in the snow. How did it work in the winter? I was wondering if maybe I should keep mine in the garage or is it okay outside?
Partsgal
Partsgal

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 10/22/2013, 4:46 pm

I just refilled my tumbler. Mostly as a holding device. I tend to use my big home made trash barrel and just let things rot.

Anyway, I found wonderful black gold this weekend courtesy of my trees out front. Spent Sunday cleaning the gutters. Last time I clean them was this time last year so I have a year worth of leaves in the gutter that for most of the year collect drippings from condensation. Half leaves and half black gold came out.

No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Partsgal 10/22/2013, 5:11 pm

No_Such_Reality wrote:I just refilled my tumbler.  Mostly as a holding device. I tend to use my big home made  trash barrel and just let things rot.

Anyway, I found wonderful black gold this weekend courtesy of my trees out front.  Spent Sunday cleaning the gutters.  Last time I clean them was this time last year so I have a year worth of leaves in the gutter that for most of the year collect drippings from condensation.   Half leaves and half black gold came out.  
Nice! I would try that but our gutters are too high for me!  I am anxious to get my tumbler full and get started.  Our fall has been so wet that I haven't been able to gather my leaves yet-going to do some tonite I hope. I don't know if my composting will be successful now given the time of year we are moving in to. Next week is supposed to be in the 30's-yuck! Looks to be a miserable winter here.  I didn't have much luck with my Mel's Mix mixture this first year.  I had five different kinds of compost but I think I ended up with too much nitrogen. So I'm hoping I can make some good compost to even it out some.

Last edited by camprn on 10/23/2013, 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed quote box)
Partsgal
Partsgal

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 10/22/2013, 5:14 pm

Partsgal wrote:On the topic of chopping do you need to chop finer things like carrot and potato peelings? Also Jimmy Cee I see that your picture of your tumbler is in the snow.  How did it work in the winter?  I was wondering if maybe I should keep mine in the garage or is it okay outside?
Hi Partsgal
I keep my tumbler close by during winter.
Moved to under our deck cover last year, either way, wasn't successful.
Maybe this year.
My compost piles are doing great tho.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Partsgal 10/22/2013, 5:19 pm

I know I should ask this somewhere else, but how do you get the post to appear in the gray and then reply to it? I will be a long time newbie!
Partsgal
Partsgal

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/22/2013, 5:29 pm

Partsgal wrote:I know I should ask this somewhere else, but how do you get the post to appear in the gray and then reply to it?  I will be a long time newbie!

Click on the right hand side top green button on the thread post  which says " quote  "
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Partsgal 10/22/2013, 5:34 pm

Thanks for the help, and all of your replies!
Partsgal
Partsgal

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 10/22/2013, 11:48 pm

This will be my third year with a tumbler and reading between the lines of others with tumblers... I would guess that i am not alone in saying that it has not been the incredible success that i had envisioned from the pictures. I have several other sorts of composting piles so feel I know composting pretty well.
the tumbler to me tends to just create a mass of muck.
In some ways it is good here because it does freeze and I have learned that freezing in itself really breaks things down well.
I tend to use the tumbler in the winter and then some time in the spring take out all the muck and add it to another pile.
It is essentially compost, but not the fluffy stuff we are all looking towards.

I loaded mine with sawdust last year with the hopes that adding browns would counter all the greens I would be adding over the winter, it helped a bit and the compost was a bit better.. I guess I need to do that again this year as well.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/23/2013, 2:37 am

Same with me GWN, I haven't created a good batch of compost out of my tumbler yet. The last batch was wet, hard balls. I grabbed it and mixed it in with my last batch of quick compost.

I just sort of use it to store kitchen waste until I have enough to make a big batch. I certainly wouldn't have bought it if I'd known this was the results I would get.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 10/23/2013, 8:18 am

GWN
I just lugged my tumbler in from the yard, this year I am going to load it up with carbon material and go light on the greens, all kitchen scraps only.
Last year was a first for me, tumbler and compost in general.
I had a 5 gal bucket full of pears, sat there for a couple of months when I decided to dump it in the tumbler.
Before I could stop the entire bottom was liquid...what a mess that was...
We have a pear tree that supplies about 50 five gal buckets for composting.
Some for eating also.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 10/23/2013, 9:54 am

AH yes the liquid can be a problem My first few years with it, I had LOTS of tomato stuff from canning tomatoes....This year I have tried not to put that stuff in.
I am glad that this thread was started because I have not given up yet
I am thinking of sifting through my wood chip pile and putting some of the smaller wood chips into the tumbler, both the keep the balls from forming, and to soak up some of the excess liquids.
I mostly use it in the winter. BUT the frost works to break stuff down
I am going to go out with my chipper today and chips some stuff and experiment with the tumbler
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Partsgal 10/23/2013, 11:50 am

Well it's obvious that there will be a lot of trial and error with the tumbler.  It's good to know the frost helps with the break down, because I was wondering if I should try to set it up in the garage for winter.  Have any of you used compost starter?
Partsgal
Partsgal

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/23/2013, 11:52 am

I use dried blood, a  a shovel full of finished compost and water as activation ingredients.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

To those of you with compost tumblers WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/23/2013, 11:55 am

Partsgal wrote:On the topic of chopping do you need to chop finer things like carrot and potato peelings? 
Nope those are fine as is, plenty small. I do cut down anything that's larger than a few inches in length or across.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

To those of you with compost tumblers WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Partsgal 10/24/2013, 9:49 pm

Here I am with another question.  From what I've read pine needles need to be used spariingly (sp) I went to gather some this evening-I found where I went to gather that there were more dark gray than the usual rust colored (newer ones) are the gray ones still the same Ph that the rust ones are? By the way I'm filling a tumbler. Still a newbie!
Partsgal
Partsgal

Back to top Go down

To those of you with compost tumblers Empty Composting with Saw dust

Post  rgrider 1/3/2014, 12:32 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I keep a bag of shredded bills and material right next to the tumbler and add it each time I add kitchen scraps.  I also have added leaves when available or sawdust that we get from a friend of ours who does woodwork.  

Now I have a huge pile of woodchips for mulch (mixed materials small branches with leaves from a tree service).  I assume I could add that as my brown as well.  I'm going to experiment with it with the next batch I do.
Hello, It is my understanding that little to no sawdust or wood chips should be added to a compost. Grass clippings yes, pine needles maybe, but not wood. The reason I've been told is that it changes the acidity too much and robs the garden of valuable nitrogen. 

I'm curious if you can use red worms with a compost tumbler, does anyone have experience with them?
rgrider
rgrider

Female Posts : 1

http://www.reliefzone.net

Back to top Go down

To those of you with compost tumblers Empty RE: Composting with Saw dust

Post  Veteran Compost 1/3/2014, 4:39 pm

Any finished compost should up having a neutral pH.  So, some pine needles or other acidic materials shouldn't make too much trouble as long as they aren't a huge part of your raw materials.  Just let the composting process run its course and you should end up with compost near neutral.

Wood chips and sawdust are a great carbon source or "brown" material in a tumbler.  When mixed with "greens" (grass clippings, food scraps, etc) the woody material is able to break down.

The only concern when using woody material or any carbonaceous material is that they need to be mixed with nitrogen rich materials (greens) in order to break down completely.  First off, you want some good looking compost, not something that is a lumpy mulch.  Second, and more importantly, if carbon material has not broken down and you add that compost to your garden - the carbon material will rob nitrogen from your soil to aid its breakdown.  When garden plants and unfinished compost compete for nitrogen in the soil, the compost always wins.  So, you end up with plants that have a nitrogen deficiency and may end up dying out. 

So, use that sawdust and wood chips, just make sure you have some greens mixed in to help it all break down.
Veteran Compost
Veteran Compost

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 1/3/2014, 4:45 pm

Excellent info
I love composting
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum