Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Introducing myself - Don Curry Toplef10Introducing myself - Don Curry 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Introducing myself - Don Curry I22gcj10Introducing myself - Don Curry 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Introducing myself - Don Curry Toplef10Introducing myself - Don Curry 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Introducing myself - Don Curry I22gcj10Introducing myself - Don Curry 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Introducing myself - Don Curry

+5
Goosegirl
sfg4uKim
TxGramma
sanderson
dcurry9541
9 posters

Go down

Introducing myself - Don Curry Empty Introducing myself - Don Curry

Post  dcurry9541 9/2/2013, 2:07 pm

Hello, All:

My name is Don Curry.  I reside in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and currently have nine 4' X 16' and one 8' X 16' raised beds as well as other assorted beds around the house.

I am currently growing everything from strawberries, asparagus, sweet potatoes and pumpkins, to many herbs like fenugreek, basil, sorrel, sage, etc.

I LOVE gardening.  I started the hobby while living in an apartment in Austin, and have loved it ever since.

At one time, I was growing over 250 different types and cultivars of herbs.  

I love the history of the plants, their utility, and the actual act of gardening - including pulling weeds (when it isn't incendiary hot outside).

Recently I have taken up propagating methods to increase my garden aptitude and save some money on expensive shrubs and trees.  That is still a work in progress...

I look forward to learning from everyone and will be happy to share anything I can.  I am currently finishing a degree in molecular biology and have taken some botany and virology courses, so I may be able to assist in some different ways.

Sincerely,
Don Curry
dcurry9541
dcurry9541

Back to top Go down

Introducing myself - Don Curry Empty Re: Introducing myself - Don Curry

Post  sanderson 9/2/2013, 2:37 pm

Don, Welcome to the Forum! glad you\'re here 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 9/2/2013, 3:43 pm

Welcome Don! Sounds like you have a good bit of gardening experience. Are you currently doing SFG in your beds? What do have in the 8 x 16 and is it hard to work with? I would definitely have trouble reaching the inner squares of that plot especially once the plants really started filling out. lol But then I'm short and don't have 4 foot long arms lol. Can't wait to see some pics. You have some of my favorites growing...strawberries, asparagus and sweet potatoes...yummy.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Introducing myself - Don Curry Empty An 8' X 16' bed is a BIG bed

Post  dcurry9541 9/2/2013, 4:10 pm

Howdy,

I put strawberries and asparagus in the big bed.  I figured those I don't need to get into all the time.

However, some of the bare-root strawberry crowns didn't do great so I had extra space and put in the sweet potatoes (supposed to be a "bushy" cultivar that wouldn't take as much space - HA!), cilantro, salad burnet, french sorrel, fenugreek, and right now, some wandering pumpkin vines.

After this Fall, I will keep it Strawberries and Asparagus.

I am looking to add a couple of SFG beds, but currently the beds are not SFG.  I will start the SFG beds over the Winter for Spring planting.
dcurry9541
dcurry9541

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 9/2/2013, 10:32 pm

Sounds like a good choice for that big of a bed for sure...but that's gonna hold a lot of strawberries and asparagus. Good luck with your garden! And again welcome aboard!!!
TxGramma
TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 9/3/2013, 7:16 am

glad you\'re here  to the Forum.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Introducing myself - Don Curry WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 9/3/2013, 8:45 am

welcome  Don Curry!  Looks like you are on the edge of regions, between Upper South and North & Central Midwest.  Looking forward to hearing more of what you have going, and seeing pics (hint, hint) when you can.  We LOVE pictures of everyone's gardens!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 9/3/2013, 1:20 pm

Welcome from Oregon, Don!

I know that your expertise will be appreciated here.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/3/2013, 2:57 pm

Welcome!

P.S.: Wow, 8x16!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/3/2013, 3:14 pm

Welcome to the world of " All New Square foot Gardening " Don .

Your education aspects interest me no end  , I'd love to read posts from you that tell us about Meristem propagation and how to do it.

I would llike to master it and be able to produce hundreds of identical clones from a good plant host or root  stock .

I've tried dabbling in it several times of late  but only had a very low success due to bacterial infection in the what was once a sterile gel on sterile cotton wool growth in supposedly effectively sterilized sealed test tubes ( plugged with sterile cotton wool plugs ) which may /may not have arisen from infected plant material .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 9/3/2013, 7:07 pm

Welcome to the forum, glad you found us!!  Do you have compost piles?  If not you should start right away to help you fill up your new SFG boxes this winter!!  Your garden sounds wonderful and HUGE!!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Introducing myself - Don Curry Empty Sterile Propagation is tough to do...

Post  dcurry9541 9/3/2013, 10:54 pm

plantoid wrote:Welcome to the world of " All New Square foot Gardening " Don .

Your education aspects interest me no end  , I'd love to read posts from you that tell us about Meristem propagation and how to do it.

I would llike to master it and be able to produce hundreds of identical clones from a good plant host or root  stock .

I've tried dabbling in it several times of late  but only had a very low success due to bacterial infection in the what was once a sterile gel on sterile cotton wool growth in supposedly effectively sterilized sealed test tubes ( plugged with sterile cotton wool plugs ) which may /may not have arisen from infected plant material .
I spent the last couple of semesters inserting genes into plant genomes.  We used sterile techniques with sterile seeds to prevent contamination from fungi or other microorganisms.  It takes very sterile techniques using positive-flow ventilation, magenta boxes, etc.  It is tough to do.

I have been reading books about propagation.  They are much less concerned about sterile methods when propagating from cuttings and more concerned with the right mix of humidity and light to promote root growth.

What kind of dabbling have you done?
dcurry9541
dcurry9541

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/4/2013, 5:24 pm

All sorts of cuttings green plant ,soft wood , hardwood , evergreens , budding , grafts  of all kinds , increasing bulbs the quick way , growing bulbs from seeds and of course trying to grow clones by the meristem method .

I have a good pal who used to be the head honcho microbiologist responsible  for all microbiology & disease control aspects of a large group of hospitals ( £ 160 ( 201$ USD ?? )  million budget) .

He has given me ideas of converting a HEP filter vacuum cleaner into a clean air source and to use taped up plastic bags over my arms that are fitted into a bigger bag to make a sort of bio control tent containing all my gubbins for the task of meristem propagation . I've also used sterile latex gloves on my hands

I've been using a regular solution straight out of the bottle made up already of simple sodium hypochlorite (normal baby bottle steriliser solution )  to sterilize my instruments and equipment and to also immerse the host plant parts in immediately prior to putting them in then HEP clean air bag set up
 I pressure cooked sterilized all the test tubes , cotton wool plug and associated equipment and only open the still slightly warm cooker once it is inside the tent inside the .

It could be that the sterilizer solution was either not strong enough or I didn't allow things to soak in it long enough especially the host plant material. Could also be the light frequencies and strengths not being quite right .

I will be trying again in the near future but this time round am thinking of using a 3high  x 2 wide x 4 foot long sealed air filtered Plexiglas cabinet with the sort of arm long gloves used in AI of cows taped into the front so I can work in a total clean sterile atmosphere.

I think I will also have to do some trials on how long to leave host plant material in the sterrilant and try to culture them to see what if anything grows on the agar-agar

Like as not I'll end up with a reasonable microscope to see things better ..may be even with an integral video camera set up so I can see things on a large screen flat screen monitor in colour .
 Any advice as to the magnifications needed / suitable  would be welcomed .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down