Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green Toplef10Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green I22gcj10Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green Toplef10Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green I22gcj10Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green

5 posters

Go down

Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green Empty Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green

Post  jack131 8/28/2013, 4:40 pm

I have some nearly softball sized red and white storage onions that don't seem to want to quit growning.  They need some encouragement to quit growing so I can get them dried out for winter storage.  I think I read once about knocking over (bending over) the tops to encourage them to stop growing but I'm not sure.  Any ideas would be appreciated.    Thanks    Jack
jack131
jack131

Male Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green Empty Re: Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green

Post  CapeCoddess 8/28/2013, 5:13 pm

Yes, I read about knocking over the greens, too.  It may have been under Onions in the ANSFG book.  Check there.

Mine are still green but they don't seem to be growing anymore.  Wish they were.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green Empty Re: Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green

Post  camprn 8/28/2013, 5:19 pm

Jack, how long have they been in the ground and are they a mature size?
If they are still growing and not putting up flower stalks, you still have time to let them grow.

glad you\'re here  to the SFG Forum!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 8/28/2013, 6:23 pm

jack131 wrote:I have some nearly softball sized red and white storage onions that don't seem to want to quit growning.  They need some encouragement to quit growing so I can get them dried out for winter storage.  I think I read once about knocking over (bending over) the tops to encourage them to stop growing but I'm not sure.  Any ideas would be appreciated.    Thanks    Jack
Stop watering them and they should fall over on their own as the bed dries out.

If you break the stem by bending them over you can introduced disease that will affect the storage quality .

Mother nature withdraws the sugars and desiccates the stems naturally when the moisture levels start to drop off so there is less chance of a ruptured cell getting diseased .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/28/2013, 6:37 pm

plantoid wrote:
jack131 wrote:I have some nearly softball sized red and white storage onions that don't seem to want to quit growning.  They need some encouragement to quit growing so I can get them dried out for winter storage.  I think I read once about knocking over (bending over) the tops to encourage them to stop growing but I'm not sure.  Any ideas would be appreciated.    Thanks    Jack

If you break the stem by bending them over you can introduced disease that will affect the storage quality .

Mother nature withdraws the sugars and desiccates the stems naturally when the moisture levels start to drop off so there is less chance of a ruptured cell getting diseased .
+1

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Storage Onion Harvest - some tops still green WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jack131 8/28/2013, 7:44 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Yes, I read about knocking over the greens, too.  It may have been under Onions in the ANSFG book.  Check there.

Mine are still green but they don't seem to be growing anymore.  Wish they were.

CC
Thanks - I'll check it out.    Jack
jack131
jack131

Back to top Go down

Post  jack131 8/28/2013, 7:48 pm

camprn wrote:Jack, how long have they been in the ground and are they a mature size?
If they are still growing and not putting up flower stalks, you still have time to let them grow.

glad you\'re here  to the SFG Forum!
In years past my onions tops have started to die off by now so I'm getting nervous.  They are softball sized so I think their big enough.  We had a real heavy rain two days ago and two of them look like they exploded open.   Thanks   Jack
jack131
jack131

Back to top Go down

Post  jack131 8/28/2013, 7:51 pm

plantoid wrote:

I haven't watered since May.  We've had a very wet summer which is really unusual for upstate New York.   I'll be careful if I do try bending them.  I'm also thinking that bending them over will dislodge some of the roots and help them die off.  Thanks   Jack
jack131
jack131

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 8/31/2013, 12:19 am

It sounds like you are going to have to somehow keep that rain off if they are going to fall over on their own.  Small umbrellas Smile
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down