Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Types of Tomatoes Toplef10Types of Tomatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Types of Tomatoes I22gcj10Types of Tomatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Types of Tomatoes Toplef10Types of Tomatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Types of Tomatoes I22gcj10Types of Tomatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Types of Tomatoes

+5
walshevak
Marc Iverson
sanderson
Turan
Millenia
9 posters

Go down

Types of Tomatoes Empty Types of Tomatoes

Post  Millenia Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:31 am

If you don't want to eat fresh tomatoes, but only want to can or freeze them for sauces or salsa, what would be a good type to grow?

Not being a tomato connoisseur myself, I've never paid much attention to the different types that are out there. I married someone who also has the tomato aversion gene and we apparently produced two offspring with the same taste buds.

I'm a juicer and will add small cherry tomatoes to a smoothie for the vitamins they contain so should probably try to grow some cherry tomatoes. Other than that, can someone suggest a simple, easy tomato that will work well in sauces?
Millenia
Millenia

Back to top Go down

Types of Tomatoes Empty Re: Types of Tomatoes

Post  Turan Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:31 pm

The first step is to look up in a catalog their paste/sauce tomatoes and see what is there and how they describe them.

I like my paste/sauce tomatoes to be firm when ripe. I roast them before making sauce. So far I have tried ~
Roma, they were too mealy and lacking flavor but the determinate bush plants were easy to work with.
Oroma, another bush but they are taller than Romas. They are just ripening now and so far seem to have good firm fruit like a SanMarzano, but I have not eaten or cooked any yet.

SanMarzano, tasty, firm, tall growing indeterminate but do not need a lot of pruning to stay in bounds. Lower yield. prone to green shoulders. These are the standard to compare Italian paste tomatoes to for taste.

Striped Romans, firm, tasty, tall exuberant indeterminate with lots of long big fruits. Definitely a repeater for me.

Cour de bue, an Italian oxheart. tall exuberant indeterminate. big fruits. They are still ripening so I do not know how they cook.

Early Girl. Indeterminate. lots of fruit. no taste. mealy yuck

Silver fir. bush. cool looking. no taste mealy yuck.

Russian Black paste. too soft. not enough flavor. wispy looking tall plant that produces pretty well.

Principe Borghese, supposed to be a bush but it is 8 feet tall this summer. Reasonably good fruit for cooking. Golf ball size, borderline firm enough. Tasty when cooked not so much when raw.

There are many more to try in the search for the perfect cooking tomato. Next year I want to try Gilbertie that I hear so much raves about here.

Good luck in your quest Laughing 

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:59 pm

I ordered seeds for Amish paste for next year. I had some BER problems with the 8'+ Roma until I added non-fat milk and epson salts periodically.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:22 pm

Maybe I'm too easily pleased, but I've had some pretty tasty Early Girls this year. They need to be left on the vine till they're fully ripe to develop that flavor, but I did get ones with enough flavor that I wouldn't mind growing them again.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Millenia Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:25 pm

HAHA...I like your 'mealy yuck' description. Gets the point across.
My problem with taste testing is my taste buds don't appreciate them so it would be all but impossible for anyone in my family to do a tomato taste test. I prefer to bow to the superior knowledge of the tomato experts here. Very Happy 

From your description, it sounds like Principe Borghese might be one for me to try, although I'm not crazy about the whole 8 foot tall part of it.
Millenia
Millenia

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:32 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:Maybe I'm too easily pleased, but I've had some pretty tasty Early Girls this year.  They need to be left on the vine till they're fully ripe to develop that flavor, but I did get ones with enough flavor that I wouldn't mind growing them again.
You remind me that every ones mileage WILL vary. We all have different micro climates. There are thousands of variables involved in how a tomato tastes, including the taster as well! But what can one do? Early Girl was highly recommended to me as a sauce tomato and I did not find it good for that. O well. Best we can do is tell some one how it was for us, and hope they understand that that is but one data point.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Millenia wrote:HAHA...I like your 'mealy yuck' description. Gets the point across.
My problem with taste testing is my taste buds don't appreciate them so it would be all but impossible for anyone in my family to do a tomato taste test. I prefer to bow to the superior knowledge of the tomato experts here. Very Happy 

From your description, it sounds like Principe Borghese might be one for me to try, although I'm not crazy about the whole 8 foot tall part of it.
Hopefully not too strong of terms though. Embarassed 

Are you wanting to grow indeterminate or determinate? There are loads of specialty bred for sauce/paste determinate (bush) tomatoes. Principe Borghese is traditionally dried into tomato like raisins. I have not tried that yet. Need a few more to ripen to fill a drying rack. From my reading I gather that 8 feet is excessive for them, normal is 4-6, which is still tall for a bush.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:58 pm

Turan wrote:
Marc Iverson wrote:Maybe I'm too easily pleased, but I've had some pretty tasty Early Girls this year.  They need to be left on the vine till they're fully ripe to develop that flavor, but I did get ones with enough flavor that I wouldn't mind growing them again.
You remind me that every ones mileage WILL vary. We all have different micro climates. There are thousands of variables involved in how a tomato tastes, including the taster as well! But what can one do? Early Girl was highly recommended to me as a sauce tomato and I did not find it good for that. O well. Best we can do is tell some one how it was for us, and hope they understand that that is but one data point.
True; my neighbor grows Sungold cherry tomatoes and so do I, and his taste far better than mine do. Mine are good, but his are incredibly good. I think you're right on about how important the microclimate is, which in a sense includes everything we as growers do to create the plant's environment -- watering, soil prep, etc.

Another example -- I've seen brandywines described as both tasteless and great-tasting, and out of my garden, I've had them both bland and very good, but not great-tasting yet. I was surprised! I had expected to be quite disappointed.

I think the best thing I've found for making my own tomatoes taste better is leaving them on the vine until they're absolutely without-a-doubt fully ripe.

Last edited by Marc Iverson on Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:59 pm

Millenia, you are in Georgia? You might need to check for those with the greatest disease resistance. And hopefully some one from the South will pipe up. What I mentioned about microclimates can be a killer when we are talking about blight.
A quick run through google showed Principe Borghese as fairly disease resistant, but not enough data to really say.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:58 am

A check with the county extension agent will give you information on disease resistance for your area and then you can ask again, based on his recommendations, for taste.  My son-in-law gave me two hybrid supersauce roma type plants from Burpee this year.  Fruits are about twice the size of my san marzanos, meaty and not dry mush tasting.  I have only eaten them raw, but the flavor is pretty good when fully ripened on the vine.  The plants got less than 6 feet tall. The tag said indeterminate so I pruned it to a 2 main stalk plant. Here are some on the vine in late July.

Types of Tomatoes Dscn1610

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:56 pm

I believe there is a previous thread about this very subject. Look in the canning section of the forum.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Types of Tomatoes WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:52 am

This is tomato heaven this is a good thread and the page I linked to (pg4) is where the varieties of sauce tomatoes are discussed.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:11 am

Generally speaking, there are a few types of tomatoes: cherry types, beefsteak types for table (brandywines) and roma types for sauces/ preserving. San Marzano and gilbertie are my go to sauce/canning tomatoes.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Types of Tomatoes WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:54 am

camprn wrote:Generally speaking, there are a few types of tomatoes: cherry types, beefsteak types for table (brandywines) and roma types for sauces/ preserving. San Marzano and gilbertie are my go to sauce/canning tomatoes.
I tried some of camprn's gilbertie tomatoes this year. Couple things I've noticed. They are pretty decent to eat right off the vine with a bit of salt and pepper. Make a nice mater sandwich, and not bad in a fresh salsa. But they really shine and standout once cooked! Chop them up and add to a saute, or make a quick sauce. These tomatoes cook beautifully, and taste wonderful Wink  So far none of mine have been lucky enough to make it to the jar.

Types of Tomatoes Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:02 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:These tomatoes cook beautifully, and taste wonderful Wink  So far none of mine have been lucky enough to make it to the jar.
rofl You may just regret that come January! rofl

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down