Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help ID this squash, please? - Page 4 Toplef10Help ID this squash, please? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help ID this squash, please? - Page 4 I22gcj10Help ID this squash, please? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help ID this squash, please? - Page 4 Toplef10Help ID this squash, please? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help ID this squash, please? - Page 4 I22gcj10Help ID this squash, please? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 11:16 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 11:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 11:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 9:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 8:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 5:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 11:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 6:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 4:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/8/2024, 12:26 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 8:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 8:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 11:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 4:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 8:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/2/2024, 12:24 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 5:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 5:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 4:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 7:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 9:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 11:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 4:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 12:16 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 2:36 pm

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 9:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help ID this squash, please?

+9
Goosegirl
martha
sanderson
donnainzone5
GWN
WriterCPA
Triciasgarden
camprn
mollyhespra
13 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Help ID this squash, please? - Page 4 Empty Re: Help ID this squash, please?

Post  mollyhespra 8/15/2014, 2:06 am

But anyway, back to genetics...

When I look at the pictures of the original 'Molly' squash from last year, there are actually three distinctive features:  the ridges and the long crookneck AND smooth skin (it's a plus being as it helps the ridges stand out more, I think) but I'm trying to keep a very complicated thing as simple as I can, so I'll leave skin texture out of it for now.  I'll call those desirable features R & LCN.  The "unwanted" features (no ridges & straightneck) I'll call NR & SN.  I'm going to ignore color right now also.  If anyone ends up with a totally green long-necked squash with ridges I don't think anyone will mind much.

So our tally so far is:

Molly's original seedstock:
(Stumpy)=R, SN
(Viney)= NR, LCN
(Prolific)=NR, SN

CC's original seedstock:
#1= ?
#2= ?

CC's 2nd Generation:
#1= NR, SN (& green  Shocked )
#2= ?
#3= ?
#4= ?

Donna's original seedstock:
#1 = NR, SN (I think; are the rest crooknecked or straightnecked?  The picture looks like it could go either way--and are you sure those aren't ribs?  The ones on "stumpy" aren't very pronounced either.)
#2 = ?

GWN's original seedstock:
#1 = ?

And I know that Camp has some that she's saving for next year, but I know I sent out more seeds--GG, didn't I send you seeds?  Were you able to get any planted?  Anyone else I might have missed?

Oh, and Mark, I know next to nothing about genetics. If you can post a link to that info on dominance that would be great. I'm trying to read up on what I can but it's all a bit mind-boggling right now.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/15/2014, 7:28 pm

Geez Molly...I've never seen anything that prolific as your 'Prolific Yellow Straightneck' that's doing what it's supposed to be doing!  That's incredible!

You know, now that I see your Stumpy, I'm wondering about my Gen2, #2 plant.   Are those ridges I see starting to form? Help ID this squash, please? - Page 4 Aug_1130
I'll check again tonite when I get home.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/15/2014, 7:58 pm

OH!  Maybe, maybe, maybe...YES!!! 

AND it looks like it has a long neck, too!!!  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!!  You'll know soon enough, but none of my other proto-squash had ANY ridges to speak of so yours definitely shows promise!!!

I'm so excited!!!

rock on  happy banana
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 8/16/2014, 7:00 pm

As to my "mystery squash" we ate one last night.  I haven't had a potimarron squash yet to compare it to, but it tastes as I imagine they will from descriptions.  Mild pumpkin-like flavor, quite tasty.  I have half left to fix today - yesterday's we fixed with pumpkin spice, honey and butter, today's we will fix savory flavored.  

I'm keeping the seeds and we'll see what happens next year.  I'm not as sophisticated as you guys.  I'll stick the seeds in the ground and see what comes up, LOL!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 8/17/2014, 10:32 pm

Ribs!

However, they seem to form at the blossom end and fade away toward the stem end.  

They're yellow and appear to be SN.  Pictures to follow.  I'm going to let some babies grow to full (or nearly full) size, and see what happens.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 8/17/2014, 11:09 pm

Here it is-- I hope!

Help ID this squash, please? - Page 4 10603468_950344264991512_2334981240971367042_n
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/18/2014, 2:15 am

Yes, that looks like the squash on "stumpy", straightneck and ribbed!  That's an "original" seedstock plant, right?  It's all good info one way or another as it helps us get an idea of who/what might have been last year's parents, and the genes that might be dominant.  

If you want to try to save some seeds, it's important to cover up a girl flower and a boy flower from the same plant the day before it looks like they'll open and then pollinate the girl well in the early AM with the saved-up boy flower's pollen once she's opened and immediately cover her up again to prevent any cross-contamination.  

I don't know if you read the previous posts, but I didn't know to do that last year and it looks like some other pollen might have gotten into the scene because CC got a green squash from one of the generation 2 seeds I sent her.  

If CC's 2nd plant ends up having a crooknecked squash with ribs just on the blossom end, I don't think I'm going to try to save seeds from any of my original seedstock plants this year (except maybe the prolific straightnecked one), but if she or no-one else does, then it might be up to you & me, Donna.

Is your other plant showing any girl flowers yet?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/18/2014, 5:09 pm

2nd gen plants 2 & 3 are a bust.  They don't have ribs.  But they aren't big enuff yet for me to tell if they are Lebanese or not.

1 more 2nd gen and 2 controls to go...altho if this weather doesn't warm up they won't do ANYthing.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/18/2014, 5:48 pm

OH! That's too bad, CC. Still, like I said to Donna, it's all good info one way or the other. Does that Gen2,#2 plant that we thought might be ribbed have a crookneck? What about plant Gen2, #3 that you said was also a bust?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/19/2014, 11:43 pm

I was wrong!  Got one!  Gen 2 plant #3 came thru for us!Help ID this squash, please? - Page 4 Img_2051
I can't save seeds from it because it's right next to the Lebanese squash and I didn't cover it. Unless we want to try for a ribbed Lebanese?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 8/20/2014, 12:33 am

I'm tempted to try to cross a yellow crook-necked, a (ribbed) yellow straight-necked, and a Romanesco.  Will have to get up early tomorrow.

Meanwhile, a gal at the local supermarket wants to buy some of my squash....  What do you know?  (Not that I care about any regulations....)
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/20/2014, 1:12 am

CapeCoddess wrote:I was wrong!  Got one!  Gen 2 plant #3 came thru for us!
CC

smiles 

YAY!!!  

If you can, wait until another girl flower is about to open and then cover her up (do the same for an unopened boy flower) and pollinate it with itself, so to speak, then cover up the girl flower again for a day or two to prevent cross-contamination.  If you're careful it shouldn't matter that it's neighbor is the Lebanese milkman's son.

Are there any other girl flowers to speak of?  All the squash from that plant should be ribbed, and your season is longer than mine, so you should still have time to grow out a squash from which to save seeds.  

YAY again!!!   BIG hug
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/20/2014, 1:34 am

donnainzone10 wrote:I'm tempted to try to cross a yellow crook-necked, a (ribbed) yellow straight-necked, and a Romanesco.  Will have to get up early tomorrow.

Meanwhile, a gal at the local supermarket wants to buy some of my squash....  What do you know?  (Not that I care about any regulations....)

What regulations are you thinking about? Do you mean because she wants to re-sell it at the supermarket? Is that on you or on her? If someone wants to buy your squash, that's great!

As to the cross, I think that the boy pollen makes contact with a single female proto-seed and once fertilized, it's fertilized.  The problem is that the squashes have so many proto-seeds (is that even a word or did I make it up?) that you can imagine where I *thought* I'd fertilized the girl flower thoroughly but I must have missed at least one proto-seed that ended up as CC's green squash.  

Think of CC's generation 2 seeds as fraternal twins.  They may have ended up with different genetics because two different sperm fertilized two different eggs.

Following that reasoning, if you try to crosss a yellow crookneck with a straightneck and also a costata romanesca zuke at the same time, you'll end up with a bunch of seeds with different combinations of mom & dads, but not two dads at the same time with one mom.  I'm also not sure if the zuke will cross with a yellow squash.  Are they the same squash sub-family?

I guess you could just try it and see what happens, but I'd suggest crossing only two to start, and taking really detailed notes.  It makes things less complicated.  You'll have to wait until those seeds grow to bear fruit before you can then introduce the third genetic variance, I'm thinking.  

OH, and come to think of it, you're growing out the original seedstock, right? There's no telling what genetics are behind those ribs.  It may already have the crookneck gene if it's a sibling to the Molly squash (they share the rib gene at the least).  Or, its offspring might end up being green because of an unknown genetic heritage that may have nothing to do with the Lebanese squash I had growing last year.

Why not start with plants that you're reasonably sure are open-pollinated, stable varieties so that when you get a variation you can accurately attribute it to your cross and not to some unknown mystery variable?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 8/20/2014, 1:49 am

Okay; I'll check to see whether my other squash are OP, or what.  

I think the gal at the market just wants some good-quality, organic squash at a reasonable price, for her own consumption.  She asked what else I might have available, which might be beans, within the next week or two.  My freezer is nearly full, as it is!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 8/22/2014, 1:31 pm

mollyhespra wrote:

...I don't know if you read the previous posts, but I didn't know to do that last year and it looks like some other pollen might have gotten into the scene because CC got a green squash from one of the generation 2 seeds I sent her... 

I may be cross pollination, or it may not. There is a virus of yellow squash that makes them turn green. Doesn't hurt them for eating, but it's a plague for market growers, as it makes the squash unsalable.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/22/2014, 1:58 pm

Pollinator wrote:
mollyhespra wrote:

...I don't know if you read the previous posts, but I didn't know to do that last year and it looks like some other pollen might have gotten into the scene because CC got a green squash from one of the generation 2 seeds I sent her... 

I may be cross pollination, or it may not. There is a virus of yellow squash that makes them turn green. Doesn't hurt them for eating, but it's a plague for market growers, as it makes the squash unsalable.
Really?!  Gruesome.  Can you give us a link so we can check out if that's what's going on here please?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 8/23/2014, 1:35 pm

Just reporting in.
I did get the one from original stock to get growing, but thus far, it has only produced on squash and it for some reason is not growing, I am suspecting that it did not get pollinated, and is just going to die
SOOOOO  it is getting late to produce a plant that will produce squash that can be used for seed, but I am still hopeful
not sure if it is significant, but it did not appear to have spines on it.
LOVED your post mollyhepsra
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/24/2014, 2:22 am

happy hi  GWN! Thanks for checking in!

Can you try to isolate a girl & boy flower as mentioned previously and do some hand-pollinating? I agree, it's getting late in the season, but something is better than nothing. It would be nice to know for certain that your squash has no ribs. Could you tell if it was straight or crook-necked?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 8/24/2014, 4:01 am

There are no flowers of either sex apparent right now, but if I see any I WILL for sure do that
The one that I had clearly was not pollinated, it fell off today, most likely too early to tell of it was crook necked, but no bend at all in it at this point
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 10/2/2014, 5:53 pm

HI guys, Thought I would update my "data"   I did manage to grow two viable squash from the generation 1 seeds and have saved the seeds, turned out with some nice ones.
What is the original name, ...just yellow crookneck?   I thought if nothing else I have a great start for seeds for zucchini next year Smile

Help ID this squash, please? - Page 4 Img_2510
Help ID this squash, please? - Page 4 Img_2511
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4