Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 Toplef10eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 I22gcj10eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 Toplef10eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 I22gcj10eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+91
TCgardening
nycquilter
svanahgirl129
Gilly21
NEWBIE99
GardenGroupie
68carguy
VJ72584
Windmere
jrfrommd
dilewis
FeedMeSeeMore
davecourington
sfgbeginner
Cajunsmoke14
GloriaG
AtlantaMarie
tagyourit
bonnie0128
kauairosina
Gardendog
dstack
Roseinarosecity
Applegate
AvaDGardner
GWN
pattipan
Cherbear
cyclonegardener
jimmy cee
2SooCrew
Nonna.PapaVino
sfgteachers
Pollinator
cheyannarach
Windsor.Parker
TxGramma
Pox
sfg4uKim
unit649
meatburner
boffer
Kelejan
wcfujita
Robind
jmsieglaff
greatgranny
Thomas
grownsunshine
pryz123
darci.strutt
landarch
mrwes40
jewlz2121
johnp
R&R 1011
WriterCPA
NAR56
Marc Iverson
Triciasgarden
brainchasm
Amethyst42
SalsaMom
donnainzone5
Cheryl5
simpletwist
Josh
yolos
quiltbea
Turan
walshevak
sarah465
mschaef
herblover
lyndeeloo
camprn
bnoles
plantoid
southern gardener
llama momma
FamilyGardening
kbshark
Dunkinjean
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Nicola
Goosegirl
CapeCoddess
sanderson
RoOsTeR
mollyhespra
gwennifer
95 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  sanderson 9/22/2014, 12:23 am

Thank goodness I have a late dinner in front of me or I couldn't stand all of your photos of delicious food!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  johnp 9/22/2014, 7:24 am

The leek-potato soup was great. It is an Alton Brown recipe and it came out perfect. Today my next experiment is roasted tomatillos with apple, garlic and serrano peppers with cilantro blended together.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  darci.strutt 9/22/2014, 9:03 am

The hot peppers are HOT this year.  A little goes a long way.  I harvested peppers, tomato (finally ripening!), probably the last of my cilantro, carrots, and some cucumbers. The carrots went into the crock pot with a roast, and the cilantro was used in a sauce for chicken drumsticks.  I made a couple jars of refrigerator pickles with the cucumbers and stuck hot pepper slices in the bottom.  This is my first time trying this.  I'm looking forward to tasting them in a few days!  We ate the chicken last night and the roast is what's for lunch today - probably with some swiss chard and tomatoes on the side!  I'm not good at storing the harvest yet, but sure love eating it fresh from the earth!
darci.strutt
darci.strutt

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 9/23/2014, 1:57 pm

Our first Carnival squash for dinner tonight Very Happy

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 Dscf1157

Carnival Squash is a Acorn type squash

*Plant carnival squash in soil ranging from neutral to acidic, after the threat of frost is past.* 

I thought it was interesting that this squash likes neutral to acidic type soil
Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8480314_carnival-squash.html

I will let you know how it taste eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 Icon_biggrin
Rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/23/2014, 5:24 pm

Another lunch of a seven ounce beefsteak tomato out the glasshouse , various slices of salami , schinken  some smoked , some not. with a teaspoon of last years red & green tomato chutney and a dash of orange flavoured thick balsamic vinegars over a chunk of strong  local Welsh cheese .

I've also been making this years red & green tomato chutney in between all manner of other tasks around the garden & home . Using home grown toms  ( too many green ones ) , onions , garlic , capsicum and half  a chilli pepper .. along with shop purchased onions , celery and some not quite sour enough apples that were a bit red ( PINK LADY )

It's turned out a very light colour compared to last years batch but I do have 6 & 3/4 litres of it in pressure canned sealed up jars . Hopefully the taste will mature to a better flavour  after a couple of months of being stored away in a cool dark cupboard .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/23/2014, 5:35 pm

There are so many different kinds of chutney, and I'm so unfamiliar with nearly all of them, that I would find it hard to judge chutney in general. Why does the apples not being sour enough hurt the taste? And is there a different kind of chutney in which better-ripened apples is a good fit?

Here are the two chutney recipes I sort of combined into one ... it's one of the few chutneys I've ever tasted, too:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2011/07/green-tomato-apple-chutney-recipe/

and

http://www.sbcanning.com/search?q=Green+Tomatoes
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 9/24/2014, 2:14 pm

Everything right out of my garden, tomatillos with apples, onion, serrano peppers, garlic and cilantro salsa. Roasted with olive oil (not the cilantro) and then into a food processer. Salt and pepper, it is outstanding. I have so much cilantro growing, one solid 4x4 box from one plant that went to seed, I am looking for uses.
johnp
johnp

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/25/2014, 5:23 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:There are so many different kinds of chutney, and I'm so unfamiliar with nearly all of them, that I would find it hard to judge chutney in general.  Why does the apples not being sour enough hurt the taste?  And is there a different kind of chutney in which better-ripened apples is a good fit?

Here are the two chutney recipes I sort of combined into one ... it's one of the few chutneys I've ever tasted, too:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2011/07/green-tomato-apple-chutney-recipe/

and

http://www.sbcanning.com/search?q=Green+Tomatoes

Sour apples  ( Bramley cooking apples are the best I know of )  don't give chutney a cider flavour softer sweetener one do .
 I'm also led to understand that there is also a lot more vitamin C in green sour apples
The citric acid in the  sour apples  helps keep the amount of acetic acid used down whilst still providing the levels needed for the preservative effect of a pickled / acidic food ( white or malt vinegar ) so you don't get the vinegar flavour too strong . 

This rounding of flavours using different acids will also most likely add /develop  other acids like malic acid and all manner of flavours that develop over the couple of months that the chutney is stored before use , over here we call it  maturing the flavour .

The chutney I made this time last year has a really nice rounded  flavour , has thickend enoughn to stay heaped on a teaspoon  but can be easily spread on meat or bread  and has darkened to that of the colour of the flesh of a dried date .

Both Alison & I reckon it could grace the plates in any top notch restaurant along side cold meats or on the cheese board and be declared a " A new wonder food ".

Eat your heart out Egon Ronay  ... You ain't getting any ...not even for a table for two at one of your establishments . Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/25/2014, 7:15 pm

Mikado turnips and sauteed green tomatoes w/ shallots and garlic. And a pork chop not from the garden.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/25/2014, 10:39 pm

plantoid wrote:
Sour apples  ( Bramley cooking apples are the best I know of )  don't give chutney a cider flavour softer sweetener one do .
 I'm also led to understand that there is also a lot more vitamin C in green sour apples
The citric acid in the  sour apples  helps keep the amount of acetic acid used down whilst still providing the levels needed for the preservative effect of a pickled / acidic food ( white or malt vinegar ) so you don't get the vinegar flavour too strong . 

Interesting, thanks.

One of those recipes above says specifically to put apple cider vinegar into it, so I guess some people like that and some don't. Honestly I couldn't much tell; even the apples themselves blended into the rest of the flavors like the spices, golden raisins, and candied ginger.

I'd like to explore different recipes at some point. Your using red tomatoes really surprised me, because I didn't know people did that. Does it matter what kind of red tomatoes you use? For my green tomato chutney, I threw in any and all green tomatoes I had, including cherries.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/26/2014, 7:25 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:
plantoid wrote:

Interesting, thanks.  

One of those recipes above says specifically to put apple cider vinegar into it, so I guess some people like that and some don't.  Honestly I couldn't much tell; even the apples themselves blended into the rest of the flavors like the spices, golden raisins, and candied ginger.

I'd like to explore different recipes at some point.  Your using red tomatoes really surprised me, because I didn't know people did that.  Does it matter what kind of red tomatoes you use?  For my green tomato chutney, I threw in any and all green tomatoes I had, including cherries.

No any so long as the toms are firm and their normal full red colour , use as 50 /50 with green ones  .it not only makes for good flavour it also gives depth of colour.
So instead of being a sort of khaki orangish green, it helps turn the chutney a much darker colour as it matures , without the use of colouring additives .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/26/2014, 8:22 pm

Okay, thanks. I'll put some of mine aside to mix with red tomatoes next time, to see if I like it that way too.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenGroupie 9/27/2014, 8:30 am

Tonight I'll be enjoying a feast of roasted carrots and a variety of potatoes that I picked this week. My husband tells me I need to add protein to that, but I'm perfectly satisfied with just the veggies.
GardenGroupie
GardenGroupie

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/27/2014, 1:18 pm

The peasant Irish used to get by on nothing but potatoes and a little milk. But the milk was important.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenGroupie 9/28/2014, 12:55 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:The peasant Irish used to get by on nothing but potatoes and a little milk.  But the milk was important.

Exactly Marc. I'm making my ancestors proud! I've never grown potatoes before and had no idea what they really should taste like. This year I grew varieties that don't have a long shelf life. Next year I'll be making more practical decisions about what to grow so I can have some for fall/winter. Yummy!
GardenGroupie
GardenGroupie

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/1/2014, 5:56 pm

Over 2 quarts of fresh made V8 juice. Store bought in my opinion is junky stuff.   The fresh taste of garden goodness is something I drink slowly and savor.  I swear its that good Smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenGroupie 10/1/2014, 6:11 pm

llama momma wrote:Over 2 quarts of fresh made V8 juice. Store bought in my opinion is junky stuff.   The fresh taste of garden goodness is something I drink slowly and savor.  I swear its that good Smile

I've got some tomatoes and would love to make V8. llama momma, would you mind sharing your recipe?
GardenGroupie
GardenGroupie

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/1/2014, 6:36 pm

Sure Garden Groupie !! 

I started with this recipe for Tomato Juice.   You can certainly throw in a little swiss chard or broccoli stumps or parsley if you froze any over the summer.  I also throw in 1/3 to 1/2 cup of sliced carrots. This helps to sweeten it up so you may even skip the sugar as recipe indicates.  I try to put 8 veggies into it if possible.  I think you'll love the fresh taste.

Anyway here you go and have fun!
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/homemade_tomato_juice/
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/2/2014, 2:50 am

LM, Do you want to post this recipe on the Home Page, Recipes?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/2/2014, 8:23 am

Sanderson
The recipe is for plain tomato juice and my post talks about making it into V8 juice.  If you like, maybe its more helpful to move the whole post to Recipes.  Your call.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/2/2014, 11:57 am

Carrots, tomatoes, poblanos, aubergine. The last of the green beans. Continuing with chard...YUMMMMMM YUM! What a Face

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/2/2014, 11:57 am

llama momma wrote:Sanderson
The recipe is for plain tomato juice and my post talks about making it into V8 juice.  If you like, maybe its more helpful to move the whole post to Recipes.  Your call.
LM didn't you post it last year?

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 10/2/2014, 3:31 pm

LM I just tried that post for the tomato juice, I added celery, parsley, carrots and onion. It is still warm but I tried some and it is great. I wish I had this earlier in the season but I have enough for at least 3 more batches. Thanks Very Happy
johnp
johnp

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/2/2014, 4:13 pm

Your welcome John. One time I was out of Tabasco and substituted red pepper flakes and it was real nice.  Love how you can play around with the recipe. 

Camp I poked around and can't find  the post. 
silly me
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/3/2014, 11:53 pm

Tried a new recipe tonight with brussel sprouts, yams, potimarron squash, all roasted and tossed with bacon and parmesan. MMMMMMM! Really good. The Yams and Squash we grew, we've had no luck with the sprouts. They are a bug favorite every year (same with broccoli, cabbage and any other cruciferous veggies :-( )
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next