Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Should I trash this pepper & start new? Toplef10Should I trash this pepper & start new? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Should I trash this pepper & start new? I22gcj10Should I trash this pepper & start new? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Should I trash this pepper & start new? Toplef10Should I trash this pepper & start new? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Should I trash this pepper & start new? I22gcj10Should I trash this pepper & start new? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Should I trash this pepper & start new?

4 posters

Go down

Should I trash this pepper & start new? Empty Should I trash this pepper & start new?

Post  kristinz 6/19/2013, 6:52 pm

This is one of my hot peppers (either jalapeno or tabasco)... not sure what's going on with it.... Can this be saved?  I was thinking of cutting off the curled portion (which is the top) and seeing what happens.  At one point there was a blossom or 2 there, but the dried up and are gone.  We've had plenty of rain (too much maybe?) and I keep up with watering when it doesn't rain... everything else seems to be coming along good...maybe a little slower than I thought (except the bush beans - growing like champs!)... Sorry, not the best pic to see, but the best one I took...

Should I trash this pepper & start new? Image10
kristinz
kristinz

Female Posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Should I trash this pepper & start new? Empty Re: Should I trash this pepper & start new?

Post  Yardslave 6/19/2013, 7:19 pm

Pepper leaves can curl up like that from calcium deficiency, or (if you are a smoker and handle your plants) tobacco viruses, and it may be insects munching on the bottom of the leaves. Some plants respond with curled leaves from excessive pinching back- like my tomato did when I trained it into a 9' vine.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Should I trash this pepper & start new? Empty Re: Should I trash this pepper & start new?

Post  camprn 6/19/2013, 7:22 pm

This does not look like mosaic. It may be viral, but the rest of the plant looks ok. Have you found any pests on the plant, like aphids? How long has this been going on?

Are you overwatering the plant? Let it dry out a day or two unless your temperatures are in the 90s and the mix dries out. It may bounce back. Whatever you do , do one thing at a time so you know what is effective.

I do see little peppers on the plant. That's a good sign.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Should I trash this pepper & start new? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  kristinz 6/19/2013, 7:38 pm

I noticed this when I planted it (we bought it at a local nursery a few days before).  I figured once it got in the ground, it would bounce back.  I think I will see what happens when it soil dries a little.  The weather will be clear the next couple of days.. I will just monitor the moisture.  I did not see any pests around or on the leaves.  I even checked some of my other plants (tomatoes, beans) to see if anything was on those and have not spotted anything, but will keep an eye out on that as well.  If it doesn't bounce back in the next few of days after allowing it to dry out, I will try something else.
Thank you for your help and insight... this is my first SFG and I know I have a lot to learn!
thanks
kristinz
kristinz

Female Posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/19/2013, 7:44 pm

hmm.. if you bought the plant locally, take this photo and ask if you can get a new plant...... the worst thing that will happen is they may say no....Wink Wink

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Should I trash this pepper & start new? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/19/2013, 8:29 pm

With regards to peppers, I recently watched a video on youtube where this guy just cut the tops off the plants.... JUST LOPS THEM OFF. What a Face What a Face
To allow the plant to focus its resources into building a strong stem, and it seems to work
I have several pepper plants, as I grew the from seed and so decided to lop the top off of a few of them and they seem to be doing quite well, the stem is growing stronger and new branches are coming out.

You have not too much to lose.... give it a try
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 6/20/2013, 12:04 pm

I like GWN's thinking- lopping it down to the healthy leaves may invigorate the plant and force more lateral growth. I pinch all the peppers back when they have at least 4 leaves, and they have grown very dense. I have even pinched back a Tai Dragon pepper after it produced fruit and it survived a winter to pop back in the spring.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/20/2013, 12:43 pm

Pinching the terminal end and lopping off a good 4 or more inches of a plant this small are quite different things... and in this case it may or may not be beneficial.

Kristi, did you have any luck with the Extension service? Or the store where you bought the plant?

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down