Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Went out on a limb. Milorganite.... Toplef10Went out on a limb. Milorganite.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Went out on a limb. Milorganite.... I22gcj10Went out on a limb. Milorganite.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Went out on a limb. Milorganite.... Toplef10Went out on a limb. Milorganite.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Went out on a limb. Milorganite.... I22gcj10Went out on a limb. Milorganite.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 4:10 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Went out on a limb. Milorganite....

3 posters

Go down

Went out on a limb. Milorganite.... Empty Went out on a limb. Milorganite....

Post  claudiamedic 5/17/2013, 12:55 am

I went out on a limb and used Milorganite as part of my compost mixture. I struggled to find compost last year and didn't find much this year either (my compost barrels weren't draining properly -unbeknownst to me- and froze solid all winter. So I ended up with nicely ice-block-preserved veggie/fruit scraps and paper instead of compost).

I have read some good things about Milorganite, so I just figured I'd try it. I am not so concerned about the source of the Milorganite as I am about the potency. I also used Chickity Doo Doo and composted cow manure to amend last years' soil.

I just put the plants in the soil today. If I got too much nitrogen in the soil, how fast will I know it?

Last years' garden was a flop....the drought and extremely hot temps just stunted everything. On a 0-100 scale, I give last years' garden a 25 (it stayed alive for the most part, and looked pretty, but bore very little fruit). If this year isn't significantly better the garden will die with me. My caregiver really didn't want to help again this year, but she did...but if this bunch crashes and burns, it's all over. I can do about half of the limited things I could do last summer. For someone with ALS, that's a pretty 'good report'. Many are pushin' up daisies as their only gardening at this stage. flower

So, I'm praying that the Milorganite, CDD, cow manure mixture is not too strong. I'm also praying for good rain this summer, since watering every night about killed us last summer.

What are your words of wisdom!? study
claudiamedic
claudiamedic

Female Posts : 121

http://www.claudiasfamily.com

Back to top Go down

Went out on a limb. Milorganite.... Empty Re: Went out on a limb. Milorganite....

Post  Turan 5/17/2013, 11:59 am

The literature says it does not burn and is a nice slow release nitrogen source So I am guessing you are ok. Besides you are mixing it into your mix, not sprinkling it on young plant tissues.

Can you lay in a wiggly way a soaker hose over your boxes and put it on a timer for watering? Or maybe a sprinkler hose, you know those ones with holes all along the length. I use these along the sides of the house snaked among my bushes. When I broke down and put in a automatic watering system I was amazed at how much better the garden did. My system is not fancy, just a couple soaker hoses and an over head sprinkler connected with Ys to the automatic water timer.

Here is a link to the one i like because it is sooooooo simple.http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=159978-53852-27729W&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3713890&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

I hope this year is a good success for you, fun and satisfying. Please keep us updated.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Went out on a limb. Milorganite.... Empty Re: Went out on a limb. Milorganite....

Post  yolos 5/17/2013, 12:17 pm

The timer I use is the same as the one Turan linked to. It works great. I also use a soaker hose purchased from Lowes on some parts of my garden.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  claudiamedic 5/17/2013, 2:07 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words and for the tip on the timer! I'll have to look into the best hose set up... I have about 10 5-gallon buckets in addition to my two raised 6'x2' beds so that might make the hose situation more complicated, at least as far as the buckets are concerned.

You all are awesome! Went out on a limb. Milorganite.... 3170584802
claudiamedic
claudiamedic

Back to top Go down

Post  claudiamedic 5/17/2013, 2:11 pm

Turan, if you have pictures of your set up, I'd love to see them!

Any pictures/videos of automatic watering systems are welcome! I think I'll start a new thread. Very Happy

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t15702-pictures-videos-descriptions-of-watering-systems#162766
claudiamedic
claudiamedic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down