Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How often to apply Diatomaceous Earth? Toplef10How often to apply Diatomaceous Earth? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How often to apply Diatomaceous Earth? I22gcj10How often to apply Diatomaceous Earth? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How often to apply Diatomaceous Earth? Toplef10How often to apply Diatomaceous Earth? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How often to apply Diatomaceous Earth? I22gcj10How often to apply Diatomaceous Earth? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How often to apply Diatomaceous Earth?

+2
camprn
lalawson
6 posters

Go down

How often to apply Diatomaceous Earth? Empty How often to apply Diatomaceous Earth?

Post  lalawson 5/9/2013, 12:35 pm

I've been researching on the forum that this is a great way to keep ants and other insects out of the garden. I just got some and am wondering how often and the best method of application is for this. When I search for it on the internet, it comes up with a million ways to get rid of bed bugs with it. All I want to know is how often to use it for my plants. Smile

I just dusted my whole garden but if it rains later this afternoon will I need to reapply it to get rid of the ants and other pests? This could get expensive if I have to keep this up all summer. I don't mind doing it, but just wonder if there is an economical application for this product.

Thanks,
Linda
lalawson
lalawson

Back to top Go down

How often to apply Diatomaceous Earth? Empty Re: How often to apply Diatomaceous Earth?

Post  camprn 5/9/2013, 12:38 pm

Regarding the question in the title of this thread... what does the package label say>?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

How often to apply Diatomaceous Earth? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

How often to apply Diatomaceous Earth? Empty Re: How often to apply Diatomaceous Earth?

Post  lalawson 5/9/2013, 12:46 pm

It doesn't really have any directions pertaining to gardens.

How often to apply Diatomaceous Earth? Photo_10

lalawson
lalawson

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 5/9/2013, 12:53 pm

Diatomacious earth will wash off in the rain and no longer be effective.

But, like all pesticides, care is needed in use. It should be reserved to spot treatments in cases of genuine need.

There are many beneficial insects that are (or should be) in your garden. If the garden is balanced, they should pretty much take care of pest insects. But pesticides kill off the good guys, too.

The bad guys can almost always reproduce faster than the good guys, so the bad guys can quickly take over. If you use a pesticide as a broad blanket early in the season, you probably are committing yourself to continuous pesticide use for the rest of the season. It's a treadmill that the pesticide companies just love.

And you may also have to hand pollinate your veggies, because pesticides, yes, even "organic" DE can also kill off your pollinators.

So use it with great care, only in extreme cases, as a spot treatment.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  jjlonsdale 5/9/2013, 1:26 pm

I had a ton of aphids earlier in the season, so I used DE to get rid of the ants that were farming them. (Ladybugs were still larvae so I wasn't too worried about killing them off.) My SFG is edged with cinder blocks and the ants were loving all the cracks between them.

I did two applications of DE, a few days apart, each time shaking it liberally in the cracks between cinder blocks and then a light dusting over the garden (which was just little baby plants at the time.) Ants were totally gone for about a month!!!

They're back now -- just noticed them a couple of days ago -- but they seem to be eating the little weird gnat-things I have in the crevices of my lettuce heads, so I might let them stay for a while. Also at this point the DE would kill the ladybugs too, and I have lots of them and I definitely don't want that to happen. I did, however, give everything a big dousing of NEEM solution last night. That may or may not do anything to the ants (results are mixed), but it should help with the caterpillars I've seen and help prevent powdery mildew.

I'm in love with NEEM -- it affects the bad guys that eat the leaves, but not the good guys that eat the bad guys.

Having tons of fun trying to manage my little backyard mini-ecosystem!!!!
jjlonsdale
jjlonsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 5/9/2013, 2:45 pm

I find that it is ineffective when it gets wet but is still very useful when needed (and organic!). I mostly use it 2 ways: 1) put it in a recycled shaker canister (Parmesan cheese or large spice containers work well) and shake it on plants where you see bad bugs (works great on cabbage loopers). 2) I mix it up w/ cornmeal and a few crushed iron tablets, put 1-2Tbs in a glass jar and tip it on it's side (keeps the bait mostly dry for a few days)....this seems to attract and kill ants, slugs, pill bugs and some centipedes.

Overall, I think you are right that this would be a huge investment when using as your only source of pest prevention...but is less costly when paired with a natural, homemade spray and especially with infestations. It will kill your beneficial bugs too. Sad
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

How often to apply Diatomaceous Earth? Empty Apply as often as you need

Post  mallory4DE 6/4/2013, 1:26 pm

Glad to hear you are finding success with diatomaceous earth. You are right about having to re-apply after a rain storm. When you apply DE to your garden, you can actually wet the plants first and then apply the DE. This helps the DE to adhere to the plants. However, after a rain, it may wash away some of the DE. But each time the DE dries, it will become effective again.

You can apply DE to your garden as often as you need. If you are in a rainy area, I would suggest applying it every month. (This is assuming it rains every month).

Best of luck to you.
mallory4DE
mallory4DE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down