Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can Mexican oregano be propagated by cuttings? Toplef10Can Mexican oregano be propagated by cuttings? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can Mexican oregano be propagated by cuttings? I22gcj10Can Mexican oregano be propagated by cuttings? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can Mexican oregano be propagated by cuttings? Toplef10Can Mexican oregano be propagated by cuttings? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can Mexican oregano be propagated by cuttings? I22gcj10Can Mexican oregano be propagated by cuttings? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Can Mexican oregano be propagated by cuttings?

2 posters

Go down

Can Mexican oregano be propagated by cuttings? Empty Can Mexican oregano be propagated by cuttings?

Post  iiiigardener 4/25/2013, 1:08 pm

My Mexican oregano (grown in a pot) overwintered as I kept it covered for frost but the wind got it two days ago an broke off the top two stems (each about 13 inches tall). I stripped the lower branches off and put it in water. Does anyone know if it might grow? If so, I'll do the experiment; otherwise, I'll probably strip the branches for various dishes over the next week or so. My plant is okay but really short. I think I read these plants can grow five feet tall (hence the potted version in my little yard.)
iiiigardener
iiiigardener

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Can Mexican oregano be propagated by cuttings? Empty Re: Can Mexican oregano be propagated by cuttings?

Post  Unmutual 4/26/2013, 12:14 pm

iiiigardener wrote:My Mexican oregano (grown in a pot) overwintered as I kept it covered for frost but the wind got it two days ago an broke off the top two stems (each about 13 inches tall). I stripped the lower branches off and put it in water. Does anyone know if it might grow? If so, I'll do the experiment; otherwise, I'll probably strip the branches for various dishes over the next week or so. My plant is okay but really short. I think I read these plants can grow five feet tall (hence the potted version in my little yard.)

First, let's make sure what you have. Mexican oregano(Lippia graveolens) is a shrub/small tree in the verbena family(Verbenaceae), and it is hardy to zone 9(I might have to try this!). It can be propagated by softwood cuttings. Softwood cuttings are new growth, and generally green. It was difficult to find anything specific(and trustworthy) about propagating this, so take this with a grain of salt. Cut off ~4" of softwood with at least one node and with some leaves. Remove all but the top 2 leaves. Cut the bottom in to a 45 degree angle. Stick the cutting in to some sterile potting mix, all the way up to just below the 2 leaves, and keep moist. Rooting hormone may be used, but I doubt it's necessary(you can also make your own 'willow water' if you have willow trees handy). It will probably take a while(months maybe), and you should probably keep the cutting in a shady place. Don't be tempted to pull the cutting out of the medium to check for roots, as these roots can be easily damaged when young. Use a clear plastic cup(or some such) if you want to be nosy(like I usually am).

If you have any unused vermiculite handy(yay SFG!), you can use that for the sterile medium.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Can Mexican oregano be propagated by cuttings? Empty Re: Can Mexican oregano be propagated by cuttings?

Post  iiiigardener 4/26/2013, 2:27 pm

Yes, this is exactly the type of oregano that I am talking about. I also grow Greek and Italian oregano. Two stems around 13" tall of the Mexican oregano snapped off in the wind (leaving the plant around 3 inches tall.) It sounds as if I might want to use the lower portions and cut the top off to try to propagate it. I usually use the oregano fresh when I want it but I'll try freezing what I have to strip off. I absolutely have vermiculite so I will use that to grow them in.

Thanks for all the information!
iiiigardener
iiiigardener

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down