Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
homeade compost does it stand alone Toplef10homeade compost does it stand alone 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

homeade compost does it stand alone I22gcj10homeade compost does it stand alone 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
homeade compost does it stand alone Toplef10homeade compost does it stand alone 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

homeade compost does it stand alone I22gcj10homeade compost does it stand alone 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

homeade compost does it stand alone

4 posters

Go down

homeade compost does it stand alone Empty homeade compost does it stand alone

Post  kbshark 4/14/2013, 4:11 am

When we compost at home should our homemade compost stand alone in the Mel's mix or in some cases would it be advisable to mix our compost with store bought brands to ensure that it was from more diverse sources?

I started square foot gardening and composting last fall. My original bed contained commercial compost that I sourced through nurseries and big box retailers and contained a nice variety of many sources of compost. I had very good results.

Now this year my composting is very advanced and I am able to use 100% of my homemade compost. I own a restaurant and I am able to pull out a very large amount of diverse ingredients from our waste and I also own a horse and have a large supply of composted horse manure and I am also raising a large amount of worms and have the castings.

My spring garden has been up and running for about six weeks now with some of the newest beds containing my compost representing the 1/3 compost requirements of the Mel's mix. I am having some excellent results for the most part. The swiss chard, spinach, carrotts, Bibb lettuce, and all of my herbs are thriving. Now the tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, peas and beans are showing mixed results some of the plants are very healthy but many are not growing as fast as the best examples. Nighttime temps are still a little cool in the 40-50 degree range. sunlight and water needs are very consistent and I started all of my own seeds.

I have been concerned that my compost might be less effective?
My ingredients include: Creekbed loam and leaves from the forest behind my house, produce waste, organic coffee and tea grounds, draught beer overflow, aged composted horse manure, worm castings, sawdust from stumps ground down in my yard, recycled brown paper shreds from the restaurant. the compost has been created using the hot method and turned out beautiful. Should I blend with other types of purchased compost in the next beds?
kbshark
kbshark

Male Posts : 10

Back to top Go down

homeade compost does it stand alone Empty Re: homeade compost does it stand alone

Post  Unmutual 4/14/2013, 7:29 am

Your compost should be great as-is. It comes from at least 5 different sources and is mixed from turning.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

homeade compost does it stand alone Empty Re: homeade compost does it stand alone

Post  plantoid 4/14/2013, 1:08 pm

Sounds like your home made compost is good enough to be a stand alone .
Perhaps consider adding a fish dish or two to the restaurant menu for shimp, lobster , prawn and fish trimmings & the frame waste adds lots of micro nutrients that are needed for extra special crops .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

homeade compost does it stand alone Empty fish waste

Post  kbshark 4/16/2013, 2:29 am

Plantoid I do have access to fish trimmings and shrimp and lobster shells! I have been putting the fish scraps in a bucket to allow it to liquefy and break down so that I could use it as a homemade fish fertilizer. I have also considered burying some of the fish in the compost but the smell is very strong so I have stayed with the bucket method for now. Smile

I have a place in the woods behind my house where I can bury and dig up later so I will try to break some down in the ground and see what happens
kbshark
kbshark

Male Posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/16/2013, 7:57 am

wow I wish my compost pile could have your offerings.
Regarding the fish
I used to go steelhead fishing on Lake Erie, came back with 9 fish each trip, weighing app. 15 lbs.
Went with others, that enabled me to have more than limit.
After cleaning the fish I had quite a bit of remains, buried them all in my raised beds.
This was Oct, in May when I was ready to till, the remains were all decomposed, a slight odor was present, however that disappeared quickly.
I had to place wire mesh over the beds during the winter, we have racoons, skunks, and such.
I think fish is an excellent addition, although it will attract local animal elements.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down