Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - Am I too late for potatoes? Toplef10Potatoes - Am I too late for potatoes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - Am I too late for potatoes? I22gcj10Potatoes - Am I too late for potatoes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - Am I too late for potatoes? Toplef10Potatoes - Am I too late for potatoes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - Am I too late for potatoes? I22gcj10Potatoes - Am I too late for potatoes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Am I too late for potatoes?

+2
Farmer Don
cautery
6 posters

Go down

Potatoes - Am I too late for potatoes? Empty Am I too late for potatoes?

Post  cautery 3/18/2013, 11:40 pm

Going to either make some 2x2 frames with 1x6 lumber or use some (free to me) heavy duty contractor bags to plant potatoes.... the boy wants to do them... anything that gets him in the garden with me voluntarily.... well, we're doing it.

Do I HAVE to use mulch, or can I simply use Mel's mix? I have an "extra" 16 cu. ft. that I can make up from stuff I let get wet that I don't want to worry about getting all the lumps out of... It'll blend fine for potatoes I think... and maybe by next year, I can blend it all up well enough for use elsewhere....

Ordering fresh ingredients tomorrow for another 4 boxes...
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Am I too late for potatoes? Empty Be careful which varieties you choose!

Post  Farmer Don 3/19/2013, 12:50 am

Hi Cautery,

If you are using a raised bed, remember Mel recommends using high risers for those squares planted with potatoes. Or you could just make a 12" deep raised bed instead of a 6". That's what I do because it is just easier for me to work with for carrots and the like as well. Potatoes, just like tomatoes, come in determinate and indeterminate varieties. The determinate varieties generally flower all at once and produce a single crop at the same depth. (Great for mechanical harvesting.) They are generally early and midseason varieties. Mel's mix will work fine. Just remember that potatoes need some friable soil and air to produce good tubers. Clay is tough on potatoes. Although Red Pontiac handles clay better than most. Not an issue with Mel's Mix. A good determinate variety is Yukon Gold. Indeterminate varities which are generally late season varieties are suitable for growing in potato towers or contractor bags. They will continue to grow and flower as long as you keep adding Mel's Mix until the end of the season when the foliage dies back and they are ready for harvest. They will send out tubers at different depths along the roots. A classic indeterminate variety is German Butterball. Be sure to rotate your potato crop squares on a 3 year rotation if at all possible. This will help reduce the possibility of many potato diseases. There is no comparison in flavor between a home grown potato and a store bought one. Also be sure to get organic seed potatoes if at all possible. Organic guidelines for certification prohibit GMO or GE stock. Experiments in England were performed by feeding GMO potatoes to aphids. Ladybugs were then introduced to eat the aphids. Test results showed a 50% decrease in lady bug fertility and lifespan. The USDA does not require the labeling of any GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) or GE (Genetically Engineered) component in our food supply. The EU, Russia, China and Japan have all banned these largely untested products due to the health implications involved. If this isn't a great reason to grow your own safe and nourishing food using the low impact and highly successful SFG method, then I don't know what is! Grow organic, fresh and local!
Best of luck.
Farmer Don

PS There are as many opinions as varieties when it comes to potatoes, maybe more. LOL! I'm sure other gardeners will be able to add much more to this for you. The right way is the one that works for you. Mel has a potato growing video on You Tube which shows him using a square five gallon bucket to grow potatoes. Here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH1Z_dUEgIg
My guess is that they were an indeterminate variety.
Farmer Don
Farmer Don

Male Posts : 17

http://dkanarr@optonline.net

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Am I too late for potatoes? Empty Re: Am I too late for potatoes?

Post  cautery 3/19/2013, 7:08 am

So, I am not too late for potatoes? Wink

Thanks for all the info!

I was going to build 2'x2' frames out of 1"x6" lumber suitable for stacking... Smile Weed block on ground, seed in bottom frame. As I "hill" the potatoes, I simply add a frame as needed.

Here in 8b (NW LA), if I get started right away, and assuming I can find indeterminate potato seed in one of my local farm supply stores, approximately how many times should I be able to raise the level before I need to stop and let them develop tubers? Approx. month to stop hilling...
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/19/2013, 9:13 am

Cautery - here is a link to lsu growing potatoes in louisiana (sp). It says early spring. If you are going to try to grow them, get them in the ground now. I am still not sure if it is too late. I am in middle georgia and plant late Feb early March.

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonlyres/45E69F58-57DD-4E49-90A4-1B173B7DBCA2/26609/pub1903irishpotatoes.pdf
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Farmer Don 3/19/2013, 11:14 am

Hi Clay,

Great site recommended by Yolos. Being located in Northern NJ, we still have about 4 inches of snow on the ground right now and can't plant yet. From my experience and the article seems to agree, the tubers start to form when the plant flowers. I would think that Mel's recommendation of 12" of MM should work fine so that would be two tiers of 6" boards (untreated wood Very Happy )for indeterminate varieties. We harvest after tops die back or frost hits. You are blessed with a much longer growing season than we are. Even if you are a bit late, get them in right away. "New" potatoes are great too. Good luck!
Farmer Don
Farmer Don

Male Posts : 17

http://dkanarr@optonline.net

Back to top Go down

Post  cautery 3/19/2013, 11:14 am

Well I bought some seed potatoes today... I was wanting to do square buckets, but in the interest of time, I'm going to put them in using contractor bags and not cut the seed potatoes (no wait for scabbing).

The seed potatoes are already sprouting....
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Post  cautery 3/19/2013, 11:15 am

Thanks folks... gonna put them in as quickly as I can... Gotta mix some dirt. Wink
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Am I too late for potatoes? Empty Thanks yolos - Potatoes in middle GA - Hope it's not too late!

Post  Windmere 3/19/2013, 12:44 pm

yolos wrote:Cautery - here is a link to lsu growing potatoes in louisiana (sp). It says early spring. If you are going to try to grow them, get them in the ground now. I am still not sure if it is too late. I am in middle georgia and plant late Feb early March.

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonlyres/45E69F58-57DD-4E49-90A4-1B173B7DBCA2/26609/pub1903irishpotatoes.pdf

You are always a wealth of information yolos! I have bunch of tubs from kitty litter. I will clean them super well and use those as my potato containers. I have organic potatoes from the farmer's market and plan to use those. They are sprouting right now. Hope I'm not too later in the season though.

Very Happy
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Am I too late for potatoes? Empty Using buckets...

Post  cautery 3/20/2013, 9:40 pm

OK... switched from frames to buckets... saved a little money, but mostly time. I'll be able to plant tomorrow (ULINE delivered in 1 day).

They're square but only 10"x10"...

Questions:

1) Can I still use 4 seeds per bucket?

2) Should there be holes in the bottom? Mel didn't cover that in his Potato Bucket video. If so, how large... I was considering 4 each 3/8" holes and line the bottom with landscape fabric.

Thanks!

PS - Had to accept Yukon Gold as seed... Is this a determinant variety? Will I be able to even do the multi-hilling technique?
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/20/2013, 9:50 pm

Yukons only put out one set of potatoes....so no multi hilling.... but...they are yummy!

yes drill some holes at the bottom of the bucket for water to drain....

one thing you could try is put some MM in the bottom of the bucket and then a couple Yukon seed potatoes, then a few inch's of MM....layering the potatoes in the soil and see if you get a bigger harvest.....we are trying it this year in a container......i know Josh a gardener on here did this last year in his garden and it worked well for him....i dont remember what kind of potato he planted...you could try and do a potato search and see if you can find the thread he had..... Very Happy

keep us posted on how it goes
happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  cautery 3/20/2013, 10:59 pm

Can't hurt.... I've got 5lbs of seed and nowhere but the 4 buckets to put them... I'll give it a shot...
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Am I too late for potatoes? Empty Two-pronged attack...

Post  cautery 3/24/2013, 2:52 pm

So, I have the 5 lbs of Yukon Gold that is late going in... I've put it under the grow light, and as soon as this cold snap passes, I've decided to put it ALL in using the 16 cu ft worth of MM ingredients I let get wet and that I haven't mixed up yet.

I'm going to put down a row of weed barrier across the yard near the back fence and border it with bricks. I'll put the MM in the center in a row. Then I'll plant the potatoes whole under MM i a shallow trench. Then, I'll "hill" the MM over them as required during the next 2 months or so. I'll mulch if necessary to guard against hot early summer, and keep them well watered. I'll harvest them in about 3 months.... and reclaim my dirt for use elsewhere. Maybe till it into the soil UNDER where I plan to plant the blackberries, or blueberries, etc...

Potatoes - Am I too late for potatoes? Yukon_Gold_800

And, I ordered some late/indeterminate German Butterball that will get here in "April"...

I'm going to plant the German Butterballs EITHER in the square white buckets I bought for the purpose, or build some SFG/Henley Tower hybrids I'm working on.... probably both.
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/24/2013, 3:04 pm

Cautery - Is that a sweet potato in the background in the jar trying to root??
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  cautery 3/24/2013, 3:06 pm

yolos wrote:Cautery - Is that a sweet potato in the background in the jar trying to root??

Nope... that's 3 of my tomato cuttings in the latter stages of death... or the first stages of composting... whichever way you want to look at it. Trying to save the other 5 in MM...
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Am I too late for potatoes? Empty Bed ready....

Post  cautery 3/25/2013, 10:01 pm

Finally got warm enough to work outside about 1030hrs... Spent the rest of the day mixing up all the wet MM ingredients I had left.... about another 16 cu ft... Laid out a 48" wide weed barrier in the 10 foot easement across the back yard.... 15' net inside length.

Lined it with bricks... wrapped weed barrier around first layer of bricks to the inside with about a 4" overlap. Put on a second staggered layer of bricks to hold weed barrier in place and give some additional height.

Net inside dimensions wound up just under 24" wide by 15' long. Filled it with MM... Had approximately 33 cu ft left over and placed in vermiculite bags for use when settling sets in and or when I need additional material for late hilling/covering roots/tubers.

I'm gonna plant them tomorrow... whole seed potatoes every 6" in a furrow cut down the middle with about 1" of mix under the seed. I may actually put the seed on the weed barrier to maximize available covering soil depth.

I was really going to try and get some back yard pics today, but with the bed, clean-up, et al... I used my last few minutes of daylight to re-cover the tomatoes and peppers.
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Am I too late for potatoes? Empty Signs of life...

Post  cautery 4/7/2013, 5:17 pm

I've been agonizing over my Yukon Gold Potato bed as it was a non-planned, rush job after I found out they were 1) late and 2) determinant.

Been worrying about having used the less than optimal MM ingredients that got wet on the pallets, worried about location (less than optimal sun, and slightly low), etc, etc...

Well, yesterday when I was cleaning some of the storm debris off the bed, I noticed "cracks" in the MM on about 6" centers in about 50% of the planting locations... so I have definite growth activity.

I was hoping one or more would show their heads today, but not yet.

Checked the MM moisture and decided to give them a deep drink after 2 days of high 70s and some wind.

Hopefully, I'll have some pics of greens to show in the bed in a day or two.
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 4/7/2013, 5:54 pm

If you were in my part of the county you would be to early by about 6-7 months. Although I put some in in Feb. they're not supposed to be planted until Oct. down here. Our growing seasons are about 180 out from the rest of the country for spring planting, much to my dismay. I just pulled my lettuce because it was getting bitter. My spinach is still going good and the herbs are fine. Will now have to wait until fall to replant my spring garden as most everything goes in in Sept. Sweet potatoes are the one exception and can be planted until the middle of may. I am trying to get some slips from a store bought one, had haved it lengthwise and had the halves soaking for two weeks with no results yet, so covered them with water and after a few days am seeing what looks like growth on the skin, must have had them upside down in the water. Oh well, another learning experience :B-):
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  cautery 4/7/2013, 6:20 pm

Gunny wrote:If you were in my part of the county you would be to early by about 6-7 months. Although I put some in in Feb. they're not supposed to be planted until Oct. down here. Our growing seasons are about 180 out from the rest of the country for spring planting, much to my dismay. I just pulled my lettuce because it was getting bitter. My spinach is still going good and the herbs are fine. Will now have to wait until fall to replant my spring garden as most everything goes in in Sept. Sweet potatoes are the one exception and can be planted until the middle of may. I am trying to get some slips from a store bought one, had haved it lengthwise and had the halves soaking for two weeks with no results yet, so covered them with water and after a few days am seeing what looks like growth on the skin, must have had them upside down in the water. Oh well, another learning experience :B-):

Arizona, right? I spent a century in Yuma, AZ one week on a client visit. Wink

Yeah, I think I am still massively under-educated on potatoes, but they SAY that you can/should plant the early varieties (mostly determinant) of potatoes around here in late Feb/early March. I was a bit late...

I have some heirloom indeterminant potatoes on-order that should arrive soon, for planting in buckets/bags... whatever. Basically, it's a variety that will produce in multiple levels of hilling.

Sweet Potatoes: LOL! No telling... Sweet Potatoes are a HUGE crop further south in Louisiana, and I really should be trying some, but I want to do some more research on them to make sure I pick the right variety, time, mix, ph, etc. I want them to make...
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 4/7/2013, 6:45 pm

I plan on using separate boxes for the sweets. I have some white superior in tires and some reds in an old animal cage. So far the whites are doing better than the reds. I also put in a russet but dont hold much faith for it as was store bought. Not surprised by the reds not wanting to do much, got them at HD four months after planting time. Picked up aa small package of fingerlings at the 99 cent store and they are sprouting, might try an experiment with them and see what happens. Who knows, might beat the odds with one or the other.
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  cautery 4/7/2013, 7:36 pm

Gunny wrote:I plan on using separate boxes for the sweets. I have some white superior in tires and some reds in an old animal cage. So far the whites are doing better than the reds. I also put in a russet but dont hold much faith for it as was store bought. Not surprised by the reds not wanting to do much, got them at HD four months after planting time. Picked up aa small package of fingerlings at the 99 cent store and they are sprouting, might try an experiment with them and see what happens. Who knows, might beat the odds with one or the other.

I'll definitely be using a separate bed/bx for the sweet taters... Yep... by the time I looked at HD, all the potatoes they had were sprouted to 4" or more... Maybe would have worked, but I found the 5lb bag of Yukons at my favorite farm and garden... and prefer to give her my money when I can.
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down