Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pesto  Toplef10Pesto  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pesto  I22gcj10Pesto  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pesto  Toplef10Pesto  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pesto  I22gcj10Pesto  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Pesto

+7
nosmok
Icemaiden
Kate888
Hoosier in Louisiana
JackieB999
GWN
plantoid
11 posters

Go down

Pesto  Empty Pesto

Post  plantoid 1/12/2013, 7:36 pm

I've seen several references to making " A Pesto ", I 've aways thought of it as making " pesto ".
What is the english word equivalent process for PESTO ?

So would some kind pesto make please enlighten me :-

Is making a pesto a process that can be applied to many different herbs & veg or is it soley for basil
Does it have to be cooked / canned for it to be storable for a few months after it is made?

If it is able to do other veg /herbs as a pesto can I have a few recipes please?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Pesto  Empty Re: Pesto

Post  GWN 1/12/2013, 7:56 pm

Plantoid.
There are many ways to make "pesto", and when one refers to "a pesto", it would be one of those, I guess
I have a couple of ways I make it, one with basil, I just take all the basil leaves Ihave, throw in Garlic, olive oil and freshly grated parmeso reggiano cheeze, pine nuts, and blend them all up.... and serve over pasta...
Also you can spread above pesto over pizza.

I also make it with cilantro and olive oil and walnuts, and parmesan in the blender.
I know in restaurants they would put in LOTS of olive oil, but I only use a little, and everything else is really according to taste.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieB999 2/3/2013, 9:16 am

Dave... I think of the term Pesto as a combination of herbs, nuts, cheese, salt and oil. Of course there can be many variations in there! I believe it comes from the Pestle and Mortar in the olden days before gadgets. It's Italian, like salsa would be a Spanish term.

I have never canned it but I assume you could. I freeze mine in icecube trays and then pop them out into a freezer bag for longer storage.
JackieB999
JackieB999

Female Posts : 125

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoosier in Louisiana 4/23/2013, 4:46 pm

I make a variety of pestos. I typically use walnuts, instead of pine nuts, because I find pine nuts to be too expensive. No one has ever been able to tell the difference.
*regular basil pesto
*basil-kale pesto
*sage pesto (wonderful on pork and with butternut squash ravioli)
*sage-kale pesto
*cilantro pesto (great on tacos)

I freeze in the 4 oz. ball jars. Just scoop the pesto in the jar and cover with oil. Put the lid and ring on and freeze. 4 oz. is about perfect for most applications.
Hoosier in Louisiana
Hoosier in Louisiana

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate888 4/23/2013, 5:14 pm

I've never even thought of making pesto before, but now I really want to do it. I wasn't sure how many of my basil starts I was actually going to plant. I guess I'll plant them all. :-)

And glad you\'re here Hoosier in Louisiana! I'd love to see your recipes.
Kate888
Kate888

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/23/2013, 7:30 pm

Thanks everyone ,

So basically it is chopped /pulverized , olive oil based , green herbs and nuts with hard cheese sometimes . it freezes well .
Questions :-

Is thick tomato puree ever added to the pesto's ?

When defrosted does it have to be cooked or can it be used straight away on a ham salad for instance ?

When thawed out how long will it keep in a fridge at say 3 oC, 35 oF ( ish )

Do you add salt to the stuff you are hoping to freeze?
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 4/23/2013, 7:36 pm

I persuaded my family that it would be restful to do a one-day cookery course in Italy, as a change from driving long distances to look at lovely places. Big mistake as far as the "rest" went because it was hard slog from 10 til 5 though we did have a nice lunch break Very Happy .
Pesto was one of the things demonstrated and the lady used just what has been said: pine nuts, basil, and Parmesan cheese in roughly equal amounts, olive oil, lemon juice and salt to taste. Maybe garlic too. Whizzed in a food processor. She said it kept fine all winter in a glass jar in the fridge as long as you keep a layer of oil on the surface.
I would keep it a month myself - if it lasted so long. I love it spread on warm toast. And it is great to use pecans or walnuts instead.
It defrosts fine and can be used straight away, no cooking. You can also freeze herb leaves blitzed with oil, then add the other stuff later. I've never tried tomato puree in the mix. You could look at the ingredients of pesto rosso in a shop maybe, that has sun-dried tomato puree in it I think.
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nosmok 4/23/2013, 7:38 pm

I've made it both green and the purple basil. If you cover it with a layer of olive oil and keep it in the refrigerator, it will keep for months.
nosmok
nosmok

Male Posts : 55

Back to top Go down

Pesto  Empty re: pesto

Post  Lillyz 4/24/2013, 1:24 am

yummy, I like it on pasta, especially when I am craving those carbs.

Found a tomato based pesto on my favorite recipe website. You might like it. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sun-Dried-Tomato-Pesto-no-nuts/Detail.aspx

Last edited by Lillyz on 4/24/2013, 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link to recipe)
Lillyz
Lillyz

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/24/2013, 6:07 am

Thanks Lilly , I didn't realize it was that simple.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Janas 4/24/2013, 9:08 am

Pesto is so delicious! Plantoid, not sure if anyone answered your question but pesto is eaten raw, not cooked. Spread it on bread or toast, garnish your eggs with a flavorful dollop, etc. It's yummy tossed with pasta after the pasta finishes cooking and draining.

My favorite pesto is made with garlic scapes in lieu of basil. In former gardens I grew an abundance of hard neck garlics that gave me a generous harvest to make my pesto. It freezes extremely well.

I've never tried making pesto with walnuts or pecans, I'll have to give those a try. I use peanuts instead of pine nuts since they add a similar sweet nut flavor and are far more economical.
Janas
Janas

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/24/2013, 10:25 am

I tried some smeared on a pork chop then griling the chop .. wasn't too impresed .Now if it had been neat out the jar on a cooked chop that sounds much more edible.
Were having Nazi Goreng to night with some shredded boiled buttered perennial kale as a green veg dish ..
Shop brought Pesto will not be on the menu tonight but will tomorrow & the day after if we have roast chicken and have some left over for wraps with salad stuff on Friday
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  NAR56 4/24/2013, 12:50 pm

Home made Pesto is way better than any jar you buy in the store. In fact, I planted twice as much Basil this year to double our Pesto production from last year, LOL. We put in on sandwiches, pasta, and pizza. Just Google "Pesto Chicken pizza", choose a recipe and enjoy. My new favorite pizza!
NAR56
NAR56

Back to top Go down

Post  brenda g 4/24/2013, 1:53 pm

Hoosier in Louisiana wrote:I make a variety of pestos. I typically use walnuts, instead of pine nuts, because I find pine nuts to be too expensive. No one has ever been able to tell the difference.
*regular basil pesto
*basil-kale pesto
*sage pesto (wonderful on pork and with butternut squash ravioli)
*sage-kale pesto
*cilantro pesto (great on tacos)

I freeze in the 4 oz. ball jars. Just scoop the pesto in the jar and cover with oil. Put the lid and ring on and freeze. 4 oz. is about perfect for most applications.

Thank you so much for these other pesto ideas! I LOVE the stuff! I've only made it with basil before, with variations on the kinds of nuts I've used -- so far I actually like cashews in it best, they make for a creamier, sweeter sauce.
brenda g
brenda g

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Pesto  Empty re: pesto

Post  Lillyz 4/25/2013, 7:39 pm

We have alot of piñon pine trees relatively close to where I live. According to local lore you can gather them every 7 years or so. They do ripen in different areas in different years. I've went a couple of times, but it is hard work gathering the nuts. The second time I went I mostly made a picnic and watched everyone else do the work Wink . I still have some in my freezer that I need to roast. I can see why they are so expensive. It is labor intensive.
Lillyz
Lillyz

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down