Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just got a new plot, what should I plant right now? Toplef10Just got a new plot, what should I plant right now? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just got a new plot, what should I plant right now? I22gcj10Just got a new plot, what should I plant right now? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just got a new plot, what should I plant right now? Toplef10Just got a new plot, what should I plant right now? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just got a new plot, what should I plant right now? I22gcj10Just got a new plot, what should I plant right now? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Just got a new plot, what should I plant right now?

+2
cheyannarach
yosoypanadero
6 posters

Go down

Just got a new plot, what should I plant right now? Empty Just got a new plot, what should I plant right now?

Post  yosoypanadero 10/31/2012, 10:26 pm

Hello all, sfgardener from Cincinnati here! I just obtained two 8x4 plots at a community garden and I am going to plant a winter crop on Friday. I know for sure I am going to throw some garlic in but what all else would you all suggest starting at this time of year in my area? The plots get a lot of sun and I am going to amend the soil with peat and manure before I plant. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions!
yosoypanadero
yosoypanadero

Male Posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Just got a new plot, what should I plant right now? Empty Re: Just got a new plot, what should I plant right now?

Post  cheyannarach 11/1/2012, 8:59 am

Egyptian walking onions and shallots!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Just got a new plot, what should I plant right now? Empty Re: Just got a new plot, what should I plant right now?

Post  yosoypanadero 11/1/2012, 10:04 am

What the heck is a walking onion??? Where would I get seeds for that?
yosoypanadero
yosoypanadero

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/1/2012, 11:26 am

Yoso, this is my first year of SFG and Egyptian walking onions. If you put 'Egyptian walking onions' into the SEARCH box on this site and you'll get a few recent posts on them. If they work like they are supposed to they look very cool! I planted some for the first time this fall and they have sprouted already.

Good luck with your community plot. Do you have an SFG already?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  yosoypanadero 11/1/2012, 2:02 pm

Thanks! I found that thread about the walking onion https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t13755-friday-rookie-topic-egyptian-walking-onions ; Great stuff!
yosoypanadero
yosoypanadero

Back to top Go down

Post  toledobend 11/2/2012, 12:00 pm

You might want to try some Mache (aka Lambs Lettuce). Supposed to be good even if temps get lower than freezing (can't take hot weather though). I bought some seeds from Johnny's Seed (they also show the name as "VIT"). It supposedly grows pretty slowly so I've planted a few squares. Per someon's recommendation here, I've planted 16 to a squre though it's possible 9 might be a good number too. It's supposed to be a good spinach substitute when it gets too cold for spinach.
toledobend
toledobend

Back to top Go down

Post  yosoypanadero 11/2/2012, 1:09 pm

How cold will Kale survive? How cold can spinach survive? I am going to plant some onion seeds/sets, some corn salad per your suggestion, lettuce, swiss chard, and snow peas and see what happens.
yosoypanadero
yosoypanadero

Back to top Go down

Post  yosoypanadero 11/2/2012, 1:14 pm

I also plan on covering the 2 8x4's with some plastic and making them into mini cold frames for the winter. I want to pile up a bunch of dirt beside them to try and insulate.
yosoypanadero
yosoypanadero

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 11/2/2012, 3:48 pm

You might want to look up Eliot Coleman's book '4-Season Harvest' at your library. Its about gardening with hoop houses and coverings thru the winter with crops that can handle the cold. In your area you'll definitely need protection of some kind but you don't need a greenhouse.

If you just want to sow seeds to overwinter that will come up very early the next spring, try sowing carrots and spinach. You won't get any crops during the winter, but they will restart growing in early spring and you'll have the earliest harvest on the block.

Good luck and keep us posted.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  yosoypanadero 11/2/2012, 4:02 pm

Thanks for the reply! I will add carrots and spinach to the list. I have two plots at the garden for a total of 64 square feet, so, I am going to spread the love around and plant a large variety for my winter and spring harvest. Hopefully, by spring, I will have 1-2 more plots and can rev those up with summer crops come spring.
yosoypanadero
yosoypanadero

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/2/2012, 5:38 pm

yosoypanadero wrote:How cold will Kale survive? How cold can spinach survive? I am going to plant some onion seeds/sets, some corn salad per your suggestion, lettuce, swiss chard, and snow peas and see what happens.
Kale, if it is already established with a good root system may go past Thanksgiving and into December in your area. Seeds are cheap, but I fear it is too late for sowing onion seed, but probably worth a try. You may want to hold back some of that seed for sowing indoors in March, then set out the plants in late April. Swiss chard will tolerate some cold if it is well established, but will not make it past Christmas, depending upon the weather. Snow peas take 70 days, you would be better saving the seed for planting on Saint Patrick's day.

Good luck with the winter garden. If it were me I would put in garlic and gray shallots if you are lucky enough to find any (I leave red shallots for early spring planting). Then I would leave it at that. At this time I would concentrate on finding as many leaves as I could to build a compost pile to rot over winter, so there will be compost to add to beds in the spring. Realistically in the north, the hoops will allow you a few weeks on either end of the normal growing season. Then comes old man Winter to give the gardens a few months of rest.

Last edited by camp on 11/2/2012, 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : had more thoughts to share.)

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Just got a new plot, what should I plant right now? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down