Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hurricane Sandy- Mid Atl & NE: How do YOU prep? - Page 2 Toplef10Hurricane Sandy- Mid Atl & NE: How do YOU prep? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hurricane Sandy- Mid Atl & NE: How do YOU prep? - Page 2 I22gcj10Hurricane Sandy- Mid Atl & NE: How do YOU prep? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hurricane Sandy- Mid Atl & NE: How do YOU prep? - Page 2 Toplef10Hurricane Sandy- Mid Atl & NE: How do YOU prep? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hurricane Sandy- Mid Atl & NE: How do YOU prep? - Page 2 I22gcj10Hurricane Sandy- Mid Atl & NE: How do YOU prep? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hurricane Sandy- Mid Atl & NE: How do YOU prep?

+14
Patty from Yorktown
llama momma
RoOsTeR
Kelejan
mollyhespra
FamilyGardening
quiltbea
Triciasgarden
binfordmj
VJ72584
gregrenee88
walshevak
camprn
CapeCoddess
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hurricane Sandy- Mid Atl & NE: How do YOU prep? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hurricane Sandy- Mid Atl & NE: How do YOU prep?

Post  mollyhespra 10/29/2012, 4:45 pm

Well, we've tied/staked anything down that could blow away & we also went ahead & filled up one of our spare propane tanks for the grill and bought an extra tank just-in-case.

Let's see...what else...oh, yea! we topped off the gas tank in the car and are now in the process of filling up some extra water jugs to put in the freezer after lowering the freezer temps as far as the dial will let me.

Batteries we already have, flashlights are working, gotta go charge up the cel phone just in case...

OH, but most importantly Wink I was able to FINALLY get my garlic in the ground earlier today!!! I thought I'd blow away, the winds were so strong, but it's done, phew!

I have an un-named mystery hardneck variety that I got from a local farmer that I think will get dubbed "Sandy's Garlic" after today.

But anyway, stay safe, everyone! This isn't a storm to underestimate.

mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Hurricane Sandy- Mid Atl & NE: How do YOU prep? - Page 2 Empty Re: Hurricane Sandy- Mid Atl & NE: How do YOU prep?

Post  Kelejan 10/29/2012, 4:55 pm

From here in British Columbia on the west of North America, my thoughts are with you. I am following the course of Hurricane Sandy and thinking of you all, especially as darkness approaches and you have a long night ahead of you.
BIG hug
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 10/29/2012, 6:19 pm

CC that must have been an adventure going to the beach. All of you keep safe!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 10/29/2012, 6:54 pm

All of you in the hurricane/storm area, stay safe.

Hurricane Sandy- Mid Atl & NE: How do YOU prep? - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/30/2012, 6:26 am

Sandy is blowing hard with sloppy wet snow in Central Ohio
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/30/2012, 8:01 am

Hang on LM!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Hurricane Sandy- Mid Atl & NE: How do YOU prep? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 10/30/2012, 8:11 am

Well Sandy mostly missed us. I live on the coast in Virginia, Yorktown to be exact. On Saturday my family helped put all of the toys and potted plants and trash cans in the garage. I ran a million loads of laundry, finished that on Sunday. I finished cleaning the house, made sure we had sandwich fixings, leaf bags, ran the dish washer and washed the kids (not in the dishwasher). Then we waited, and waited. Unexpectedly we did not loose power. A lot of places were closed for the day, no school or work. The storm has now mostly passed. We will probably get a bit more rain to top off 8 inches already down. I expect to have a few days of yard work, but that can wait until the yard dries more. Stay safe.

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/30/2012, 9:37 am

Just a reminder to anyone with flood water around their area or violent seas

Last edited by plantoid on 10/30/2012, 9:41 am; edited 2 times in total
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/30/2012, 9:40 am

plantoid wrote:Just a reminder to anyone with flood water around their area or violent seas STAY AWAY FROM IT

Far too many people end up drown because they failed to recognise the dangers .
Not so long ago a Munchkin walked across a sports field in a puddle that his mum let him play in , he disappeared from sight in front of his mum and was sucked down a storm drain that some pratt had removed the cover from . Thankfully he came to the surface in the adjacent river 100 yards away and was rescued almost unharmed by a very quick thinking bystander.

We have also recently see news of an elderly couple driving to a strange destination using sat nav and driving into four feet of running flood water at a ford because their sat nav didn't indicate that the road might be flooded .
The husband died after the car was swept away down stream , his wife managed to get out becasue she was down side of the flow , was able to open the door without the pressure of the stream trying to keep it closed , she was also closest to the bank area.
I've also lost a couple of good sea fishing pals who didn't fully appreciate that the sea is a cruel mistress when they got dragged in & under by rogue waves or taken under by the wake from a fully laden oil tanker well over a mile away .

Stay safe , we can always build another SFG but not build another one of you.

David
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/30/2012, 10:57 am

camprn wrote:Hang on LM!

You too!
Currently silly snow, wind, and windchill of 23 degrees before Halloween is plain wrong.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 10/30/2012, 11:49 am

Glad to hear that Sandy has brought garlic planting weather. Laughing
I hope you all stay safe and weathered the night well.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 10/30/2012, 12:05 pm

We did OK here in southern Maine. Rain was 1 and 1/10th inch total, winds high and blowing. Nothing broken here. We never even lost power, just a few blinks off and on around 8 pm and then it stayed on. Thousands without power all around us. We were just lucky but I always prepare like a good scout. Hope all our friends here were OK and suffered little or no damages.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 10/30/2012, 1:01 pm

plantoid wrote:
plantoid wrote:Just a reminder to anyone with flood water around their area or violent seas STAY AWAY FROM IT

...snip...

Stay safe , we can always build another SFG but not build another one of you.

David

Sage words, Plantoid (David). We seem to have missed the worse of it up here in the White Mountains of NH, but I feel for the folks further west of us. Hope everyone in Sandy's path makes it through OK.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 10/30/2012, 1:21 pm

CapeCoddess....I hope all is well with you. My friend in Harwichport got her power back on at five this morning. Hope you are OK. Did you check your PM's?
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 10/30/2012, 5:40 pm

hope you all are doing well!

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  bakermtb 10/30/2012, 6:50 pm

The garden and greenhouse survived 10" of rain and 50mph winds. Wishing everyone a speedy recovery.
bakermtb
bakermtb

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/31/2012, 12:37 pm

quiltbea wrote:CapeCoddess....I hope all is well with you. My friend in Harwichport got her power back on at five this morning. Hope you are OK. Did you check your PM's?

No PM's. Did you write me?

All's well here, thanks for asking, QB! We had winds to 81 but no rain. Like you, we had power surges all night but never lost power. Lost internet though but it's back up.

The tulle on the garden held! I'm so amazed by those clothespins! Laughing

I'm unable to get in touch with my co-worker who works in NY though. She must be without power and cell ph service. Bummer.

Is your friend the photographer who works at the Dennis library? I've yet to visit her since I don't use that library.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 10/31/2012, 1:56 pm

CapeCoddess.....Please check your PM's once again. I didn't realize my box was full so the last one didn't get sent. I've rewritten a new one.

Glad you did OK during the storm. We got 1 and 1/10ths inches of rain, lots of gusting winds, but nothing damaged at my house. The coast was another story. Lots of flooding there. We live 25 miles inland, thank goodness. If any trees fell, they must have fallen in the woods around us which is very woody woodland.

I hope all our gardeners soon check in along harm's way and all is improving, at least.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam 10/31/2012, 5:25 pm

Hope everyone came through OK, we've been seeing some amazing and scary pics here in Sydney. Lots of damage done!

I've got a FB friend who is on Staten Island and he has just got his power and cable back but his son and brother are in NJ and they haven't got power or phone and from reports I've been reading in the paper, most of Manhatten is out as well.
ericam
ericam

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 11/2/2012, 8:57 pm

bakermtb wrote:The garden and greenhouse survived 10" of rain and 50mph winds. Wishing everyone a speedy recovery.

That's wonderful you came out ok! That's a good testimonial about your greenhouse survival!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 11/2/2012, 9:02 pm

Just have to say this. It's been amazing there was not more damage and more loss of lives with "Sandy"! It's also amazing they got the subways going so quickly. I don't know if they got all of them working, but those things were totally flooded! I'm so proud of so many taking the necessary precautions and also evacuating when needed! I am also so proud of so many helping those in need and each other and even a big this as supplying the electricity so people can charge their cell phones! I know there is a lot more clean up and rebuilding but you all did very well!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 11/2/2012, 9:40 pm

I have found that one thing you can always be sure of......we Americans step up to the plate and do what needs to be done after disasters. Some are in the thick of it and some are in the background, making quilts and clothing and donating foods for those that lost everything.
We're a great country and I'm proud of my fellow citizens.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2