Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Keeping bees - Page 38 Toplef10Keeping bees - Page 38 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Keeping bees - Page 38 I22gcj10Keeping bees - Page 38 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Keeping bees - Page 38 Toplef10Keeping bees - Page 38 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Keeping bees - Page 38 I22gcj10Keeping bees - Page 38 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Keeping bees

+43
countrynaturals
JohnKelly
Escaped Lunatic
Scorpio Rising
Elizabeth
Turan
mschaef
Marc Iverson
Cajunsmoke14
AtlantaMarie
kauairosina
recoush
rabbithutch
R&R 1011
brainchasm
Millenia
at2wooden
malefacter
boffer
martha
grownsunshine
Goosegirl
sanderson
LittleGardener
bnoles
CapeCoddess
yolos
Pink Pandora
HillbillyBob
Triciasgarden
Unmutual
NHGardener
Lavender Debs
landarch
walshevak
Kelejan
llama momma
plantoid
GWN
CindiLou
RoOsTeR
camprn
Pollinator
47 posters

Page 38 of 38 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38

Go down

Keeping bees - Page 38 Empty Re: Keeping bees

Post  OhioGardener 9/29/2021, 9:02 am

sanderson wrote:I read this article this evening, and thought about the beekeepers of the Forum.  Is this a fairly realistic article? 

Interesting and amusing article. I loved keeping bees for many years, starting from the time I was a young lad in 4-H, up through the 1970's when I had a commercial apiary for 7 years. I hated giving up bees, but a back injury made it impossible to continually lift the heavy supers full of honey.

The biggest problem with new, novice beekeepers if being over-attentive of the hive. The bees do better when left alone as much as possible. The second biggest problem, which is related to the first, is that new beekeepers tend to remove too much honey in the fall instead of leaving adequate stores for the bees to survive the winter.  Side note: I replaced queens every 2nd year to ensure there was always a young, strong queen to keep the hive active.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 9/29/2021, 12:24 pm

On a side note, I heard on one of those science podcasts that nearly 100% of the commercial bees in the U.S. are sent to the almond farms of CA every year. The guy said it was about $300 per hive. I wondered if that covered transportation.

It must be confusing to a bee. You went to bed the night before dreaming of that new patch of hibiscus you discovered yesterday. You had joined in the bee dance where you learned there was a new field of clover that would be blooming at 7am tomorrow. You've memorized all the water sources. Big plans. Big plans.

And then you wake up and you can't get out of the hive. There's a huge growling sound. There's whizzing and whooshing sounds as if your hive were suspended over a waterfall. There's a burning, oily smell too, and you worry there might be a forest fire. You're trapped this way for a week. Then one morning you wake up and the noise has stopped and the hive is open. But there's no hibiscus. There's no clover. Darn, Bea, the bee! She must have danced 30 hertz northward when she meant 20 hertz southward.

Eventually you work out that there's some other stuff that's in bloom. Up in trees. Well, any port in a storm. Well, gotta buzz. But Bea is going to get an ear-full.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 9/29/2021, 4:07 pm

markqz wrote:On a side note, I heard on one of those science podcasts that nearly 100% of the commercial bees in the U.S. are sent to the almond farms of CA every year. The guy said it was about $300 per hive. I wondered if that covered transportation.

Fortunately, it is only 80% of the commercial bees that are moved to that Almond orchards, and those mostly are from west of the Mississippi. They require approximately 2 hives per acre of Almonds, so that is a lot of bees! I used to move mine to fruit orchards in the spring, and hay fields in the summer, and back to their "home" for the winter where they had plenty of Golden Rod.

But, now that I am old and retired, I just have native bee houses.... Smile

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/30/2021, 10:55 pm

markqz wrote:. . . It must be confusing to a bee. You went to bed the night before dreaming of that new patch of hibiscus you discovered yesterday. You had joined in the bee dance where you learned there was a new field of clover that would be blooming at 7am tomorrow. You've memorized all the water sources. Big plans. Big plans.

And then you wake up and you can't get out of the hive. There's a huge growling sound. There's whizzing and whooshing sounds as if your hive were suspended over a waterfall. There's a burning, oily smell too, and you worry there might be a forest fire. You're trapped this way for a week. Then one morning you wake up and the noise has stopped and the hive is open. But there's no hibiscus. There's no clover. Darn, Bea, the bee! She must have danced 30 hertz northward when she meant 20 hertz southward.

Eventually you work out that there's some other stuff that's in bloom. Up in trees. Well, any port in a storm. Well, gotta buzz. But Bea is going to get an ear-full.
rofl

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/9/2021, 10:50 am

This is the first time I have read about bees, and now I am going to ask my family in England with  their two and a half acres of old farmland  if they are going to consider including bee-keeping in their new place.  They are already ordering a variety of fruit trees. fruit bushes and wild flowers.  Bees must be on their agenda.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 38 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum