Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
West Nile Virus and Aerial Spraying Toplef10West Nile Virus and Aerial Spraying 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

West Nile Virus and Aerial Spraying I22gcj10West Nile Virus and Aerial Spraying 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
West Nile Virus and Aerial Spraying Toplef10West Nile Virus and Aerial Spraying 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

West Nile Virus and Aerial Spraying I22gcj10West Nile Virus and Aerial Spraying 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

West Nile Virus and Aerial Spraying

+4
littlejo
Lindacol
GloriaG
TexasTracy
8 posters

Go down

West Nile Virus and Aerial Spraying Empty West Nile Virus and Aerial Spraying

Post  TexasTracy 8/13/2012, 4:46 pm

The county has declared a state of emergency in Dallas County because of the mosquitoes infected with W. Nile Virus. They are going to start aerial spraying different cities. What can I do to protect my SFG from the pesticide? Cover with plastic during night hours?
TexasTracy
TexasTracy

Female Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

West Nile Virus and Aerial Spraying Empty Re: West Nile Virus and Aerial Spraying

Post  GloriaG 8/14/2012, 11:19 am

Hi Tracy,

I'm concerned too. We're in Denton county so no areal spraying yet, but it might happen.

I suggest you don't cover with plastic. It's too hot even at night and the plants will suffer. Perhaps a floating row cover or sheet would stop most of the spray and shouldn't cause the same heat build-up underneath. Just be careful that you put it on the same side up each time so you don't accidentally transfer the insecticide to the plants from the sheet.

Honestly, I'm really concerned about the whole area. I know that Dallas is the epicenter of the West Nile mosquito threat in the US. But, I've seen a noticeable decline in the bee population recently and I'm afraid this won't be the only year that we have a West Nile problem. If mosquito control spraying becomes an annual event, I'm afraid we'll lose too many pollinators.

GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

West Nile Virus and Aerial Spraying Empty Re: West Nile Virus and Aerial Spraying

Post  Lindacol 8/14/2012, 12:08 pm

What pesticide are they using? Knowing that would help in figuring out what to do.
I don't have any experience with this but think it would help to hose off your garden plants ASAP after the spraying.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  GloriaG 8/14/2012, 1:38 pm

They are using synthetic pyrethroids
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 8/14/2012, 3:58 pm

Down here in SC they used to spray, from a truck, on the ground in each county. Only areas that were the main breeding grounds for mosquitos, the spray was something to prevent eggs hatching and prevent breeding? It seemed to work, but the bad economy put it by the wayside.
West Nile has shown up here, they haven't decided what to do. The mosquitos are larger than I've ever seen. You will still get bit using that backwoods spray!
I have an idea that the spray that they used to use is not available anymore, it probably caused something, but, death from West Nile is bad too.
They may have to resort to aerial spraying here too.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  TexasTracy 8/14/2012, 10:31 pm

I definitely feel the use of pesticides are a huge reason for the decline of bees and other beneficial insects. I've fought hard to keep my garden organic and I just don't think aerial spraying is good for the environment or for humans.

Gloria, I really didn't think plastic would be the best idea, thanks!
TexasTracy
TexasTracy

Female Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 8/15/2012, 7:38 pm

Maybe you could rig up a tarp like an awning over the garden? No heat would build up and you can take is down in the morning?
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/15/2012, 8:41 pm

You may in fact not even be in a spray zone. Call and find out exactly where they are spraying. Your town may even have spray schedual online.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

West Nile Virus and Aerial Spraying WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 8/15/2012, 11:41 pm

I found this article about the aerial spraying in Tx, Ma, and Ca. The diseases are scary, but found no mention of what the spray will do to us, our pets, or crops. Didn't find any info on SC.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  CWJones 8/16/2012, 2:21 pm

The product they are using is DUET. Google it for MDS and application information. It has been around since the 80's and is considered safe (safe being relative) for use around people and pets. The local media should be posting application schedules. If they are not start aggitating until they do, I would. Yes, it will kill benificials also but if the spraying is limited to dusk and after hopefully the bees will be back in their hives. That being said, with 26 deaths so far nationwide and the epicenter of activity in that area the health officials are in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I feel for you. The upside of the "exceptional" drought I'm in is the mosquito and tick populations are low.

CWJ
CWJones
CWJones

Male Posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/16/2012, 3:07 pm

This is what it says on our .gov website:

Mosquitoes in Six Southeastern Massachusetts Towns to Reduce Risk of EEE
Spraying to take place during evening hours on Monday, August 13

BOSTON — The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) today announced plans to conduct aerial spraying for mosquitoes in Bridgewater, Easton, Norton, Raynham, Taunton, and West Bridgewater on Monday, August 13. Spraying will take place from 7:45 p.m. until 2:30 a.m. the next morning. Aerial spraying is heavily dependent on weather conditions, and spraying can be postponed up to the last minute — so residents are urged to check the DPH website at www.mass.gov/dph for the latest updates.

Click here for a searchable spray map.

Watch a YouTube video in American Sign Language: www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDI_runJYXc

Residents of these communities should take simple precautions to avoid exposure to pesticide during the time that their city or town is scheduled to be sprayed:

Stay indoors, keep your windows closed, and turn off window fans during the time spraying occurs. If your air conditioner has a fresh air intake feature, you may want to shut off the intake during the time of spraying.
Keep pets indoors when spraying is occurring in your immediate area to minimize their risk of exposure.
If skin or clothes or other items are exposed to the sprayed pesticide, wash with soap and water.
If the spray gets in your eyes, immediately rinse them with water or eye drops, and call your doctor.
If you have a small ornamental fish pond, you may want to cover it during the night of spraying.
Following the aerial spray, rinse any homegrown fruits and vegetables with water.

Aerial spraying of pesticides reduces but does not eliminate the risk of mosquito-borne illness. All residents, whether inside or outside the spray zone, are urged to continue taking personal precautions to avoid mosquito bites. These include using insect repellent, covering exposed skin when outside, and avoiding outdoor activities between the hours of dusk and dawn, when mosquitoes are at their most active.

Officials decided to conduct aerial spraying in the six towns following the recent detection of numerous additional EEE-positive mosquito pools collected from sites in Easton and surrounding communities.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 8/16/2012, 3:28 pm

I just checked in on this thread, and I forgot to put the link in my last post. There is a lot of info available, but have found nothing concerning whether toxic to plants or what to do about the crops affected.
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/other/wnv/news/aug1312spraying2.html
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 8/17/2012, 4:21 pm

It was on the news that the spraying has begun. How many days will it take? Let us know how it went, and if you think it helped. I hope the gardens are ok. It seems that immediate human protection is more important than the long term health risks.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down