Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Greenhouse Gardening with Mels Mix Toplef10Greenhouse Gardening with Mels Mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Greenhouse Gardening with Mels Mix I22gcj10Greenhouse Gardening with Mels Mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Greenhouse Gardening with Mels Mix Toplef10Greenhouse Gardening with Mels Mix 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Greenhouse Gardening with Mels Mix I22gcj10Greenhouse Gardening with Mels Mix 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Greenhouse Gardening with Mels Mix

3 posters

Go down

Greenhouse Gardening with Mels Mix Empty Greenhouse Gardening with Mels Mix

Post  bakermtb 7/3/2012, 4:56 pm

I just got a small greenhouse and would like some information about any good greenhouse gardening books.

Has anyone used the Mels Mix in a greenhouse?

Any advise on greenhouse gardening?
bakermtb
bakermtb

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Greenhouse Gardening with Mels Mix Empty Re: Greenhouse Gardening with Mels Mix

Post  plantoid 7/3/2012, 6:41 pm

I have used it for all my seeds , potting and potting on as well as for sack grown potatoes , all brassicas peppers & tomatoes in the glasshouse .

Very occasionaly I have had to give the seed tray a liquid feed and I put that down to there only being a bit of compost in the small amount of MM in some of the smaller tray sowings.

I made my liquid feed by putting a 2 pint jug full of my own made up MM into 4 pints of water and stirred it every day for 4 days then strained the infusion off & used it in a minature watering can carefuly onto the mm round the seedlings not on them just incase the sun came out and burnt them through the droplets of liquid onn the leaves.

Watering is by micro fan spray jets on a timer of 1 minute at 05 .00 and 19.00 from over head ( these can be turned on or off )onto the seedlings and seed trays . Dripper nozzles that are on long unbellical tubes from the main timed water run , these go direct into bigger plant pots .

When things have been set up like this on a time clock for auto watering everything grows like crazy as ther is no check in growth .

The plants are phenominally strong and healthy .

The smaller sized seeds I've sown in pots and seed trays have beeen covered in a very thin layer of fine grade hroticultural vermiculite . This covering wicks up moisture out the MM and over the seeds it keeps the seeds ideally damp for germination .

The beans and peas marrows and courgettes were all soaked for 24 hrs and then started in the glashouse in pots . they only took a fraction of the time that it would take if they wer sown outside even if 24 hr soaked.

The sweet peas were also done in the above manner and were up in just a few days.

21 day germinations have typically been coming through in 6 days and are often plantable in three weeks or less.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/3/2012, 8:03 pm

I just use my greenhouse as a warm place to grow warm season veggies. I have a couple 1x5 boxes and various pots, all filled with MM. I'm growing the majority of my tomatoes and peppers in there, along with a couple squashes and cukes. Proper ventilation is critical when the sun is shining. I do get bees inside, and they pollinated the squashes and cukes. I manually pollinate the tomatoes.

This spring, I tried a hoop house inside the greenhouse. Overnight temps stayed 8-10° warmer inside the hoop house.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/4/2012, 4:26 am

Thanks for the hoop house comment Boffer , that is something I can try with a small kiddies pop up tent perhaps .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/4/2012, 11:32 am

Perfect!

I got the idea on the forum too; probably from someone talking about Elliot Coleman's techniques.

It used to be that our houses were built with covered front porches where folks could sit in the evening until the oppressive heat in the house dissipated 'long about midnight or so. They would hang a two seater bench chair, often made from wooden slats, from chains attached to the rafters to make a porch swing.

The front porches are seldom constructed anymore in this age of air conditioning and small lots, but the porch swing nostalgia is alive and well. I picked up a used free standing porch swing that had rotten slats that needed replaced. I discarded the swing, and was left with a 2 inch metal tubing frame that the swing hung from. The end view is that of an isosceles triangle with a rounded top, about 4 feet high. It's about 5 feet long. Perfect for draping some plastic over.

You can just see one end of it in the rear of this picture, with the plastic still on it.

Greenhouse Gardening with Mels Mix Dscn2022
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/4/2012, 11:59 am

Thanks for the explanation and the picture..

We have similar porch constructions called conservatory's and we use them almost all year round due to the more intemperate wet weather and lower temperatures .

Though now adays due to extortionate cost of them & cheaper building of smaller homes most are " lean-to " constructions with polycarb multi walled roofing sheets .

Where I use to live I grew most of my seedlings in the conservatoory for we were post and had an all glass tinted , one way sunlight roof .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down