Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
single vine trellising tomatoes Toplef10single vine trellising tomatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

single vine trellising tomatoes I22gcj10single vine trellising tomatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
single vine trellising tomatoes Toplef10single vine trellising tomatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

single vine trellising tomatoes I22gcj10single vine trellising tomatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

single vine trellising tomatoes

+6
FamilyGardening
kinggarbear
floyd1440
Hasselback
quiltbea
javaaddict
10 posters

Go down

single vine trellising tomatoes Empty single vine trellising tomatoes

Post  javaaddict 6/6/2012, 9:10 am

I am trying to single vine trellis my tomatoes. For the most part, I've been successful. (I think. lol) I've been pulling off the suckers between the main branch and the existing shoots, taking the top of the "Y" basically. There are two MONSTER plants though that are huge - I can't tell even where to prune them. I removed an independent vine from the very bottom of each of these plants, it was huge and starting to look like it was going to flower. They have equal growth coming out of the top, one in 3 directions and one in 4!!!!! I've watched some youtube videos but they are smart and prune them long before they have my issue. How do I decide where to cut them? Can I at this point without killing them? Any advice is welcome. I'm hoping there's a simple answer to this...
javaaddict
javaaddict

Female Posts : 60

Back to top Go down

single vine trellising tomatoes Empty Re: single vine trellising tomatoes

Post  quiltbea 6/6/2012, 9:47 am

Are you removing the growth BETWEEN the Y? It sounds like you're removing the producing branch instead, but then maybe I'm not reading you right.

In any case, if I understand you correctly, you have more than one leader on your tomato.......a few strong branches that are growing taller than the rest.

I saw a video on having the dilemma of having 2 leaders and the idea was that any branch you choose in that situation can be your new leader, so just make your decision and remove the others. But I would not remove more than a few branches or suckers at any one time so as not to shock the plant too badly.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  javaaddict 6/6/2012, 9:56 am

Yes, I'm removing the little guy that starts growing in between the main branch and the one that sticks out almost at a perpendicular from the main branch. It's usually very little and obvious, but not so much with these two big ones.

It's good to know I won't completely stunt it if I prune, that the left over one will take over as the main vine. I'll work on it over the next few days and see if I can gain control again. These are my black krim heirlooms that I grew from seed, so it's shocking to me to see them doing so well. I figured it would just be a good try this first year to grow them and that I'd end up buying plants anyway. haha
javaaddict
javaaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/6/2012, 10:10 am

I'm going to have to get some Black Krim seeds next year. I hear good things about it. I'm growing Black Plum for the first time.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Hasselback 6/6/2012, 8:19 pm

I've had the same dilemma before. You can save yourself significant emotional duress by pruning early and often. It's easier to prune if you're not taking down HUGE healthy pieces of plant.

Good luck.

G.
Hasselback
Hasselback

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 6/6/2012, 8:35 pm

Hasselback wrote:I've had the same dilemma before. You can save yourself significant emotional duress by pruning early and often. It's easier to prune if you're not taking down HUGE healthy pieces of plant.

Good luck.

G.

I have the same issue with a few of my tomatoes as well. Most of them are single stem but two of them have two stems now and it is difficult to determine which stem is the main one.

Will take some pics tomorrow and perhaps someone could provide some ideas of were to prune of if I should just let it go........
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  kinggarbear 6/6/2012, 8:47 pm

quiltbea wrote:Are you removing the growth BETWEEN the Y? It sounds like you're removing the producing branch instead, but then maybe I'm not reading you right.

In any case, if I understand you correctly, you have more than one leader on your tomato.......a few strong branches that are growing taller than the rest.

I saw a video on having the dilemma of having 2 leaders and the idea was that any branch you choose in that situation can be your new leader, so just make your decision and remove the others. But I would not remove more than a few branches or suckers at any one time so as not to shock the plant too badly.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

You can also pinch off the apical tip of a secondary leader, if ther are flowers on it, and terminate further growth. That will allow the flowers to fruit out, but stop the leader aspect of that branch.

Also, suckers root readily. If you snip off a large sucker and have a space for another tomato plant, just stick it in the ground & keep it well watered... it will root, and because this "Clone" is the same age as the parent plant it will start producing flowers rather quickly.
kinggarbear
kinggarbear

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/6/2012, 9:44 pm

glad for this thread Very Happy

this is our first year growing heirlooms and all of our tomatoes we started from seed....

we want to try single stem as well....but most of the plants have more then two main growing stems....Shocked first time to ever see tomatoes grow like that.....we have been taking off the suckers.....but not sure what to do with the two or three main stems.....we will take some pic's too and share.....see what you all think....is it a heirloom thing or what?

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/6/2012, 10:12 pm

here are a quick snap of a few of our tom's with the problem of more then one main stem.....i know a few look like the suckers that have grown, but the problem is the sucker looking main stem has just as many if not more blooms What a Face

single vine trellising tomatoes Dscf0523

single vine trellising tomatoes Dscf0524

single vine trellising tomatoes Dscf0525

single vine trellising tomatoes Dscf0526

single vine trellising tomatoes Dscf0527

single vine trellising tomatoes Dscf0528

single vine trellising tomatoes Dscf0529

single vine trellising tomatoes Dscf0530

single vine trellising tomatoes Dscf0531

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 6/7/2012, 6:40 am

If your leads are that big; I wouldnt go chopping them off.

Single vine technique is one of those things that you need to start the plant with & continue through the life of the plant.

Going back and applying the technique "retro" is just going to stress & expose the plant to disease/bugs at all the trim sites & I don't know hat you would gain anything.

No need to risk what sounds like a healthy and produtive vine.
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  javaaddict 6/7/2012, 12:09 pm

The weird thing is that I've done nothing different with these two monster plants than I have any of the others. Everybody is single stem pruned except those 2. I swear they are mutants - grew like crazy one night while I was alseep and now I can't regain control affraid I don't even know how to post pics of them, I tried but it looks like a jungle. lol
javaaddict
javaaddict

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 6/7/2012, 12:57 pm

Tie them to something solid. They can get very top heavy with mult. stems. Good Luck!
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 6/7/2012, 1:11 pm

it looks like you may have missed pinching out a middle and now it ir rather big...this happened to me and went ahead and removed it to preserve the oriinal vine.

I do have one plant that I have pinched all middle stems out of and one of the remaining side stems forked again (I don't think they are supposed to do that)...I plan to just remove that stem to keep the integrity of the main vine.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 6/7/2012, 5:44 pm

Three of mine had two stems and i decide that this might decrease the size of my tomatoes down the road so I found the one that didn't have a flowering set on it and removed it.

Down to a single stem again but will keep and eye to see how it grows.
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 6/7/2012, 6:54 pm

javaaddict wrote:The weird thing is that I've done nothing different with these two monster plants than I have any of the others. Everybody is single stem pruned except those 2. I swear they are mutants - grew like crazy one night while I was alseep and now I can't regain control affraid I don't even know how to post pics of them, I tried but it looks like a jungle. lol

It happens ... not to worry Wink
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/7/2012, 10:29 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:glad for this thread Very Happy

this is our first year growing heirlooms and all of our tomatoes we started from seed....

we want to try single stem as well....but most of the plants have more then two main growing stems....Shocked first time to ever see tomatoes grow like that.....we have been taking off the suckers.....but not sure what to do with the two or three main stems.....we will take some pic's too and share.....see what you all think....is it a heirloom thing or what?

hugs

rose

Yay for this thread! Rose - it's my first time growing an heirloom too and I was also wondering if it was an heirloom thing! Both my brandywines forked right off the bat. I cut one of the forks off each, but I was wondering if it was a mistake since it didn't seem like a sucker to me. Now I know I wasn't crazy or inexperienced.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down