Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use - Page 2 Toplef10Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use - Page 2 I22gcj10Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use - Page 2 Toplef10Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use - Page 2 I22gcj10Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use

+16
HillbillyBob
plantoid
camprn
durangotan
claudiamedic
walshevak
rod champion
Nicola
Yus
Missed-Em
cheyannarach
searchnk9
Unmutual
Turan
Daniel9999
ding47
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use - Page 2 Empty Folks here are so kind to share their knowledge

Post  Windmere 3/12/2013, 11:28 am

Good morning all. I wanted to put my 2 cents in about garden center sales people. I was treated like I was crazy when I went to purchase my Mel Mix supplies at Lowe's. The man there told me all I needed to do was till the soil and add some cow manure to get fabulous results. Sigh. On a positive note, Lowe's had peat moss for the best price.

On the other hand, when I went to Home Depot, the young man there was extremely interested in what I was doing. He asked all sorts of questions. My initial question to him was, "Does this Home Depot carry cotton burrs?" He is very new to the Home Depot garden department and is soon taking a master gardening course. As Mr. Bartholomew says, it's easier for someone new to gardening to accept the SFG method.

I also wanted to say to Daniel9999, I am so impressed with how you took the time to provide so much information regarding this topic. You are a definite asset to this forum!

you rock
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use - Page 2 Empty Miracle gro has worked for me

Post  rayjgold 5/15/2013, 4:42 pm

I'm on my third year of square ft gardening. Each year I just mix in more miracle-gro, peat moss, and the white lime stuff.....i forget the name. (i have 3 4x4 squares)

And for the last two years I've grew more than my family could eat....had to give away and throw away a lot as well.

the first two years I grew, corn, watermelon, cantaloupe, tomatoes and cucumbers. I also grew strawberries and peppers in pots using that potting mix from miracle grow.

I was actually trying to find out whether or not i could just buy one bag of manure this year instead of the more expensive bags of MG but i didn't want to mess up something that wasn't broken.

Am i missing something here? would i have better results that is more cost effective using something else?
rayjgold
rayjgold

Back to top Go down

Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use

Post  RoOsTeR 5/15/2013, 5:14 pm

rayjgold wrote:I'm on my third year of square ft gardening. Each year I just mix in more miracle-gro, peat moss, and the white lime stuff.....i forget the name. (i have 3 4x4 squares)

And for the last two years I've grew more than my family could eat....had to give away and throw away a lot as well.

the first two years I grew, corn, watermelon, cantaloupe, tomatoes and cucumbers. I also grew strawberries and peppers in pots using that potting mix from miracle grow.

I was actually trying to find out whether or not i could just buy one bag of manure this year instead of the more expensive bags of MG but i didn't want to mess up something that wasn't broken.

Am i missing something here? would i have better results that is more cost effective using something else?

rayjgold, I really couldn't say. Our site promotes and supports the All New Square Foot Gardening method that uses Mel's Mix as the growing medium. There aren't many supporters of Miracle Grow on this forum. Very Happy

Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use

Post  rayjgold 5/15/2013, 5:25 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:

rayjgold, I really couldn't say. Our site promotes and supports the All New Square Foot Gardening method that uses Mel's Mix as the growing medium. There aren't many supporters of Miracle Grow on this forum. Very Happy

Oh, Im sorry. I thought this was a general gardening site not linked to any vendor or specific growing medium.

You've showed me the door, and now Im walking through it. (ice age 4)

Thanks
rayjgold
rayjgold

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/15/2013, 5:30 pm

rayjgold wrote:I'm on my third year of square ft gardening. Each year I just mix in more miracle-gro, peat moss, and the white lime stuff.....i forget the name. (i have 3 4x4 squares)

The recommendation is to simply add homemade compost each time you harvest and free up a square. No need to add more Mel's mix or the MG garden soil. The fertilizers that are used in the MG are usually used up in about 10 weeks. the compost will actually add nurtition and general organic matter that will improve the tilth of the garden mix. The MG will not.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/15/2013, 5:44 pm

Oh don't get me wrong. You're more than welcome here. There just aren't many proponents of Miracle Grow here. There is lots of great information and plenty to learn on our forum.

Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/15/2013, 6:05 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:Oh don't get me wrong. You're more than welcome here. There just aren't many proponents of Miracle Grow here. There is lots of great information and plenty to learn on our forum.
+1

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Is Miracle Gro Garden Soil OK to Use - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/15/2013, 10:59 pm

Rayjgold, Don't quit! You will find all kinds of useful tips, even enriched soil traditional gardeners chime in with good tips.

This is my first year growing a garden and I'm using the [New] Square Foot Gardening way. There's no specific vendor promoted here. This is a WAY of gardening, with a specific growing medium combination that each person makes on their own. That is, 1/3 volume of vermiculite (I had to use some perlite so my mix is close be not spot on), 1/3 volume fluffed peat moss, and 1/3 volume of blended compost. The compost needs to be composed of 5 different organic sources, each 1/5 of the volume. I used Kellogg mix as my compost to get my garden started this spring while I figured out how to compost in the city or could locate more ingredients. I'm even humble enough to admit I am using a weak solution of Miracle Grow fertilizer every 3 weeks or so because I think my mix is weak in nutrition. My mix is not "complete" yet. Consider your Miracle Grow as your starter compost while you search for 4 more ingredients, such as, farming manure (cow, poultry, rabbit, horse, etc.), worm castings, mushroom compost, kelp, dried grass clippings, or veggie and fruit trimmings. If you buy a used copy of the All New Square Foot Gardening book, you just may get hooked on it. Only 6 inches deep for the beds, except for long root veggies like carrots, parsnips, potatoes, etc.

Welcome aboard.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2