Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 Toplef10strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 I22gcj10strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 Toplef10strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 I22gcj10strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Can we talk strawberries?

+12
philct
walshevak
littlesapphire
UnderTheBlackWalnut
SwampCatNana
JennAndCompany
littlejo
llama momma
plantoid
gregrenee88
quiltbea
daryl.weaver
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can we talk strawberries?

Post  gregrenee88 Wed May 09, 2012 10:00 am

quiltbea wrote:@gregrenee.....Leave the plant alone to overwinter and come back next spring. You'll leave her there til she produces her biggest harvest her 3rd year.

@plantoid......I can only go by what works for me here in Maine,USA.

I leave my strawberry plants right where they are but after the 3rd year, they start to get weaker and stop producing. Sometimes you'll still get a good amount of berries a 4th year, but its always iffy. Its the nature of the plant. They are NOT perennials. After 3 years they really should be replaced, either by putting in new plants, in which case you won't have any berries that year unless you've allowed some runners to root before this. That's how I do mine.

The 2nd spring, I allow 2 runners to form from each 'mother' which will take root. This 2nd year the runners are establishing themselves and energy is growing roots. Mother is also giving many blossoms this year.

The 3rd year Mother is at her peak and the runners have some blossoms, too, so there's a lot of berries. When I'm done with 'mother's' harvest, I remove her completely from the bed. The runner will now take over as 'mother' next year. The plant configeration is a little different because I've removed the old one and the new mother is in a different place. The cycle continues. I hope I am making myself clear here.

Thank you Quiltingbee! We have 8 plants and they are starting to produce some berries.

Renee thanks
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280

Back to top Go down

strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can we talk strawberries?

Post  SwampCatNana Wed May 09, 2012 10:19 am

llittlesapphire - the last ones Tarpan, is the right color of those I saw. Will watch for the berries to see if same.
Thanks for the info, will google as well to see where to get seeds. strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 3170584802 Might just give it a try. Always up for a challenge! cheers
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut Wed May 09, 2012 11:08 am

I know this sounds odd but I saw pink flowered strawberries at my local Walmart. I didn't think to check the variety though... Sad The flowers were the lighter pink... Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea Wed May 09, 2012 11:31 am

I'm actually thinking of marking my latest mothers this year. Usually the runners just come out at the sides and I let them do their own thing, When its time to remove the mothers, they are all down the middle (or left side or right side mostly). This year there are new mothers on both sides with the center being almost empty and ready for the next crop of runners. I'm getting at the age tho, where remembering which is which might be a prob so I'm going to 'tag' them by putting a piece of fabric punched in the soil near mother.

strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 04-20-11

Above: I've got new mothers along both sides now with the center and right side mostly empty.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid Wed May 09, 2012 6:18 pm

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:QB - I have 8 plants in their second year and probably 8-10 more new plants this year. When you let the runners form do you guide them to a particular place? As my plants multiply, will the older plants be obvious? I know what the original 8 are but the runners are rather willy nilly. I'm wondering if I should have been more concerned with placing them so I'd know. I thought about tagging them in some way, but is all this necessary? Are the plants that are ready to come out obvious?

Your last post made me smile QB . I have a memory like that and have had to revise how I do things as I can no longer rely on memory alone .

If you train the runners in to 3 inch plant pots around the host plants , it's a cinch to sever them when they have got growing ,. leave them in situ for a few weeks after severing them so they are independently growing .

The runner will grow to about four to six inches long from the host plant and start to form a cluster of leaves at the end .

Fill the pots with MM and gently press the underside of the runner leaves into them leave it attached at this point .

Place a small, stone or use a bent wire to gently hold the runner tip into the MM and keep them watered . After 14 day the runners should have developed octopus type legs going dow into the mm .. try and gently lift one of the runner to se if it has developed roots , if it has sever the withering stem
that attached it to the host plant .

Once fully independent lift the plant pots with the new strawberry plants in them & re plant the new plants out of the pots elsewhere in straight lines , you will also be able to write a label for each potted plant if you feel like it.

For the ambitious amongst you all , last year I sucessfully cut 45 runners off eight plants that were growing in a grow bag in the glasshouse . Straight away put them in clean water till I had enough then snipped the runner cleanly off the leaf head ,then pressed the head into wet compost from a new unused grow bag , fixed them down with light wire clips and found that ten days later they had 1/2 inch roots like octopus legs . Three weeks later I planted them out into my new strawberry barrel .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak Wed May 09, 2012 7:03 pm

I have some in vermiculite right now to see if I can get them to root. These are where I cut them off my first year plants.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid Wed May 09, 2012 7:26 pm

Neat vermiculite may not be nutricous ( sp ) enough to grow the roots down , it may be that the nutrients are what spurs the roots to break out . Perhaps hedge your bets and do some in MM as well .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak Wed May 09, 2012 8:26 pm

I put in some weak liquid fertilizer for the immediate. The ones I tried to start in MM all died.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid Thu May 10, 2012 3:48 am

I forgot ( seniors moment & 3/4 ) to add I kept the fledgling plants damp on the leaves by regulary lightly watering and spray misting them with a hand triger spray for a couple of days till I got my misting/ spray system up & running properly.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire Thu May 10, 2012 10:20 am

I've always had the worst time with bareroot strawberries... Out of the three times I've tried, I've only managed to get 1 strawberry plant to survive. Maybe I'm doing it wrong... (or probably not *actually* reading the directions, lol)

But no matter! I bought four large potted strawberries several years ago and have just been letting them run amuck in their own special box.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea Thu May 10, 2012 10:44 am

The secret to transplanting strawberries is to replant them no deeper than the container from which they came or in the case of barerooted ones, the little demarcation line (where one part joins another). Too deep and the growing tip rots.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  philct Sat May 12, 2012 8:36 pm

So I wanted to share my planted raised strawberry bed... Can you all take a look and let me know if you think I put on too much straw mulch?? I have 10 live plants and 30 dormant ones that I replaced. The first set of dormant never took off unfotunately...

[img]https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 0071110[/img] My son ate the first strawberry of the season... I'm a low carb dieter but had a small bite, WOW!!!! strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 217255It was that good!!!
philct
philct

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana Sat May 12, 2012 9:01 pm

Phil - so am I! You need to check out this link:

Your Lighter Side

It's great and very helpful! BTW - I have 8-10 strawberries everyday!
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo Sat May 12, 2012 10:18 pm

philct wrote:So I wanted to share my planted raised strawberry bed... Can you all take a look and let me know if you think I put on too much straw mulch?? I have 10 live plants and 30 dormant ones that I replaced. The first set of dormant never took off unfotunately...

[img]https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 0071110[/img] My son ate the first strawberry of the season... I'm a low carb dieter but had a small bite, WOW!!!! strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 217255It was that good!!!

I'd leave off the straw til they start growing. You should put some around the live plants only. By putting the straw you are keeping the soil too cool and the plants will stay dormant. Only put straw after leaves start growing. Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea Sat May 12, 2012 11:21 pm

I agree with littljo. Remove the mulch for now so you don't keep the soil too cool.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  philct Tue May 15, 2012 6:20 pm

[img:93d3]https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 016-3[/img] So I didn't have time to remove it, but it didnt matter. They all popped in 2 days, and in fact, I just squished 8 more into the bed they grew so well...

[img:93d3]https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 017[/img]Also getting some strawberries.. Ate my first one with my 2 year old son the other day, sooo good!!!

[img:93d3]https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 018[/img]Here is one of the new plants

[img:93d3]https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 020[/img] And yes, I broke down and bought this contraption... sigh
philct
philct

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana Sun May 20, 2012 11:49 am

Just came across this site and thought you all might be interested. Anyone else tried this method for getting more berries from their plants?
Get more berries from your plants
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma Sun May 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Excellent Swampcat, the pictures help so much.
My berry starts were planted in April are producing, and when I first saw those things, I thought, Ahaa, they must be runners I keep reading about but never saw till now. The article said to make sure it is a runner, but didn't elaborate. So I wonder if I have cut off long stems that might have produced flowers and berries, thinking it was a runner? Wonder whats the difference? Other than a runner is really long.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea Sun May 20, 2012 1:48 pm

@llama mamma.....If you have a definite strawberry plant with green leaves and maybe blossoms on it, then look for a runner coming from the base of this mother plant and traveling 6-10 inches away where it will send out a tiny root to stick in the soil. It might have a green leaf or 2 on the end of it. That's the one you want to remove if you are removing most of the runners.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma Sun May 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Thanks Once Again QuiltBea, yes, I have plants w/blossoms and fruits and from your description, 6 in + runners that are going into the next box with a green tip. Although, my confusion are the other plants without blossoms or berries that throw runners too, I've been cutting them also. :scratch: Reading material suggests plants throw runners with or without blossoms, What is your experience? Much appreciated. sunny
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea Sun May 20, 2012 2:06 pm

I never check for runners until my plants are getting bigger. They may not have blossoms yet, but they are definitely larger plants so the runners are easily noticed. I know that runners can have their own runners. Even if letting a few runners establish for the next generation, the 2nd set of runners coming off of those first runners need to be removed.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

strawberries - Can we talk strawberries? - Page 2 Empty QuiltBea's the Best!

Post  llama momma Sun May 20, 2012 2:14 pm

You and others have been kind and extremely helpful throughout my strawberry journey. Could not have done this alone. Or with books.
Thank You so much.
LlamaMomma
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Sun May 20, 2012 2:36 pm

quiltbea wrote:I never check for runners until my plants are getting bigger. They may not have blossoms yet, but they are definitely larger plants so the runners are easily noticed. I know that runners can have their own runners. Even if letting a few runners establish for the next generation, the 2nd set of runners coming off of those first runners need to be removed.

That was a question I asked last season. Thanks for the answer, Quilt.

As it happened I did remove the 2nd runners.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana Sun May 27, 2012 3:47 pm

Can strawberry plants be transplanted? The ones I have in the new plot(just got the assigned plot yesterday) and the strawberries were there already. Not happy about where there are and how they were planted.
I don't care if I get nay berries this season, I don't even know if they are ever-bearing or not.
Suggestions? I don't see any runners, and I'd like to move then soonest.
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening Sun May 27, 2012 4:01 pm

i have transplanted plants before with no problems....just dig a bit deep to get as much roots as you can....they may even grow roots side ways......Very Happy ....then make sure that when you transplant you dont cover the crown part of the plant....water real good....they may look real sad for a few days.....just make sure they dont dry out and they will perk right back up.....Very Happy

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next