Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just starting Perry County Ohio Toplef10Just starting Perry County Ohio 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just starting Perry County Ohio I22gcj10Just starting Perry County Ohio 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just starting Perry County Ohio Toplef10Just starting Perry County Ohio 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just starting Perry County Ohio I22gcj10Just starting Perry County Ohio 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Just starting Perry County Ohio

+5
Chopper
llama momma
givvmistamps
kbb964
staci.bourff
9 posters

Go down

Just starting Perry County Ohio Empty Just starting Perry County Ohio

Post  staci.bourff 4/27/2012, 9:01 am

Hi I'm Staci Bourff. I live in Crooksville Ohio, and just started transforming my backyard into a SFG for my family of five. I have 3 boys ages 14, 11, and 8.

We reused wood froma doghouse, and privacy fence the people before use left here to make most of the boxes, and cement blocks that my mother didn't want anymore.

My husband had a bright idea of using a flatbed trap to cover the ground where I wanted my boxes that way I didn't have to take up all the grass for all the boxes, and we wouldn't have to mow around them either.

As of two days ago I have seven different peppers plants planted, chives from my middle son's teacher, strawberries, onions, garlic, carrots, beets three different types of lettuce, kale, and spinach in two 2x5 ft beds made from the cement blocks, and still have 6 boxes of 124 squares to decide what to plant in them.

I've tried to upload pics of the transformation, and have had no luck getting them to load, and even read post on how to load pics and still have had no sucuss.
staci.bourff
staci.bourff

Female Posts : 30

Back to top Go down

Just starting Perry County Ohio Empty Re: Just starting Perry County Ohio

Post  kbb964 4/27/2012, 9:37 am

glad you\'re here Staci! look forward to the pictures when you finally figure it out... I cant help because it gets me everytime.

kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/27/2012, 1:15 pm

Just starting Perry County Ohio 396615 Welcome Staci! Your garden sounds great! Is this the post you read on posting photos: https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t129-how-to-post-a-picture-located-on-your-computer? I found that if I didn't follow it exactly, I got no results. Also, sometimes it takes a little bit for the link you need to copy and paste to show up, and somebody said that if your resolution is set really high the photos just won't load so making the photo into a smaller file was the fix for that.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  staci.bourff 4/27/2012, 1:39 pm

Now I see what I was doing thanks for the link!

Now see if this blonde can get it to work.
staci.bourff
staci.bourff

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/27/2012, 1:56 pm

glad you\'re here neighbor! Good to see another Ohioan.
I'm in Amanda actually the border of northern amanda/canal winchester. Very Friendly warning, peppers like warm weather same as tomatoes!!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  staci.bourff 4/27/2012, 2:35 pm

My Backyard before starting SFG. I so hate the neighbors shed that is falling apart in my yard. Got to love in town living.Just starting Perry County Ohio 00912 The cement block beds I made from the blocks my mom gave me.

Just starting Perry County Ohio 01010

Just starting Perry County Ohio 01111

Dog House and Fence we made into boxes.

Just starting Perry County Ohio 01210

Large Rose of Sharon bush that gets pulled out, and in the back left corner the remains of other bushes that'll be made into compost or mulch.

Just starting Perry County Ohio 01410

The clay the boys found after we pulled up the Rose of Sharon bush, and the reason my husband didn't want to do the tradtional row garden.

Just starting Perry County Ohio Pics_012

My first bed planted with Kale,Carrots, 3 kinds of Lettuce, Spinach, Onions, Garlic, and Beets.

Just starting Perry County Ohio Pics_014

Boxes made out of the fence. We got a total of five boxes out of one eight foot piece of privacy fence. Two 6ft x 4ft boxes, one 6ft x 3ft box, one 6ft x 3ft box, and a 3ft x 2ft box that I'm thinking of stacking on another box for potatoes.

Just starting Perry County Ohio Pics_015

Flatbed trap and all my boxes including a 2ft x 20ft box up against the fence line made out of the salvagable wood from the dog house, and a few scraps from the fence.

Just starting Perry County Ohio Garden10

pepper plants( 7 different types) a strawberry plant, chives from son's teacher, and onions just planted this week and had to cover once already, and hoping I didn't screw up by not covering last night...fingers crossed.

Just starting Perry County Ohio Garden11
staci.bourff
staci.bourff

Back to top Go down

Post  staci.bourff 4/27/2012, 2:37 pm

llama momma wrote: Just starting Perry County Ohio 396615 neighbor! Good to see another Ohioan.
I'm in Amanda actually the border of northern amanda/canal winchester. Very Friendly warning, peppers like warm weather same as tomatoes!!

Yeah I know they are, but they was getting a little to big to keep in my kitchen window in a roasting pan, so I've been covering them any time there is a chance of frost. Hope they survive with me covering them, because I really want some peppers.
staci.bourff
staci.bourff

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/27/2012, 5:33 pm

Wow, you did a great job recycling/re-purposing everything into your garden. Way to go!

Just starting Perry County Ohio 997193

I look forward to seeing how things come together for you. Maybe you could grow some vines up the wall of that shed you hate so much. Some Morning Glory and Moonflower would take that over in no time flat. Just starting Perry County Ohio 714994 Of course, it might help the wall boards to come off faster, too, so be careful over there. That thing looks dangerous!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 4/27/2012, 7:07 pm

givvmistamps wrote:Way to go!Some Morning Glory and Moonflower would take that over in no time flat. Just starting Perry County Ohio 714994 Of course, it might help the wall boards to come off faster, too, so be careful over there. That thing looks dangerous!

It might be fodder for a few more boxes....
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  staci.bourff 4/27/2012, 9:25 pm

I have morning glories growing all through my yard, and up the fence line, but for some reason they won't touch that build. Must be to ugly for them too. LOL
staci.bourff
staci.bourff

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/27/2012, 11:23 pm

lol! I see a piece of one board hanging down like it'll drop off in the next breeze... that wouldn't be so funny if someone was nearby when it falls. There has to be some sort of vine to mask it, at least in the warm seasons, so you don't have to look at it. If the vine grows the right way, wrapping around the uprights, it could help hold the building together. Wink Or spray paint! Have a family painting day and decorate the wall with lovely scenes & stuff. The way he's (not) taking care of the thing, he can't complain if you do that.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/28/2012, 3:22 am

great pics!

love how you recycled things from your yard to make your garden box's!!

looks like you have a great helper there too Very Happy

we are in the PNW area....we too are trying to time things just right...... to put the hot loveing plants outside......hope your peppers stay warm enough!

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/28/2012, 7:47 am

Trellis on your property just in front of the shed. Plant scarlet runner beans under the trellis. Then you have pretty and edible at the same time. I can see a 1 or 2xshed size box or take a chance on local dirt this year if more MM is not in the immediate future. Looks like you are already try to hide it with the boxes you have nearby.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/28/2012, 8:01 am

Just starting Perry County Ohio 61949 Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Everything's looking great!

I do have one question about the tarp . . . is it UNDER the beds too? I'm asking because of possible drainage problems.

It's great to see your whole family getting involved.

Are you able to find your Mel's Mix ingredients in your area?

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Just starting Perry County Ohio WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 4/28/2012, 8:09 am

Staci - I suppose you could call the Health Dept. They would condemn the building and make them demolish it. Just a thought.
I just wish I had a yard like yours! And all that wonderful recyclable material! That tarp is great. Where'd you get it? So lucky.
I'm waiting for a plot in a community garden, I live in an apartment so no chance of a yard.
Lee

Last edited by SwampCatNana on 4/28/2012, 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar correction)
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  staci.bourff 4/28/2012, 11:08 am

givvmistamps wrote:lol! I see a piece of one board hanging down like it'll drop off in the next breeze... that wouldn't be so funny if someone was nearby when it falls. There has to be some sort of vine to mask it, at least in the warm seasons, so you don't have to look at it. If the vine grows the right way, wrapping around the uprights, it could help hold the building together. Wink Or spray paint! Have a family painting day and decorate the wall with lovely scenes & stuff. The way he's (not) taking care of the thing, he can't complain if you do that.

Yeah that board has been hanging there for four years now, and withstood a windstrom in the winter that took down a wisteria vine and the archway it was on. I like the painting ideal, I think my kids would get a kick out of that.
staci.bourff
staci.bourff

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/28/2012, 11:13 am

If you are whimsical you could paint gigantic veggies under a big yellow sun for inspiration!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  staci.bourff 4/28/2012, 11:15 am

sfg4uKim wrote:Just starting Perry County Ohio 61949 Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Everything's looking great!

I do have one question about the tarp . . . is it UNDER the beds too? I'm asking because of possible drainage problems.

It's great to see your whole family getting involved.

Are you able to find your Mel's Mix ingredients in your area?

Yeah the trap is under the boxes, but it has holes where most of the boxes are placed, and the boxes that don't haves holes I plan on making a few so it will drain.

Only thing I'm finding problems finding is compost that not just cow manure. My sister has goats and horses so I can get all the manure I need when I need it for compost. I started a compost pile and hoping it'll be ready when I get to filling the other boxes, because school is back in session and it takes all I have not to say screw the school work , and go play in the garden. But I want to keep my high GPA up.
staci.bourff
staci.bourff

Back to top Go down

Post  staci.bourff 4/28/2012, 11:24 am

SwampCatNana wrote:Staci - I suppose you could call the Health Dept. They would condemn the building and make them demolish it. Just a thought.
I just wish I had a yard like yours! And all that wonderful recyclable material! That tarp is great. Where'd you get it? So lucky.
I'm waiting for a plot in a community garden, I live in an apartment so no chance of a yard.
Lee

The building is pretty stable just an eye sore, but then again my 70's green house might be an eye sore to some lol.

The trap is a flatbed trap, my husband use to own his own truck, and his dad wanted it when he didn't use it anymore, and he hadn't used it in over 4 years, so I went and stole it back. It wieghts a good 100 lbs if not more, so my back was feeling it after loading up to bring it home, and then me and the kids unrolled it wrong so we had to dance around the yard,( they was singing ring around the rosey as we was fixing) because on the other side that facing the ground it has nylon straps and metal hooks to attach to the flatbed trailer with bungee cords.

Hope you get your plot, apartments around here have garden beds that in front of them, and they also have small patios in front and back. Granted most of the bed people plant with flowers. Guess an advantage to living in a rural area even around apartments there is alot of green space.
staci.bourff
staci.bourff

Back to top Go down

Post  staci.bourff 4/28/2012, 11:34 am

llama momma wrote:If you are whimsical you could paint gigantic veggies under a big yellow sun for inspiration!

That would look cool, but I think the boys will have a few suggestion on how to paint it.
staci.bourff
staci.bourff

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down