Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
an indecisive newbie.... Toplef10an indecisive newbie.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

an indecisive newbie.... I22gcj10an indecisive newbie.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
an indecisive newbie.... Toplef10an indecisive newbie.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

an indecisive newbie.... I22gcj10an indecisive newbie.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tomatoes not having growth
by OhioGardener Today at 10:50 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:02 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 9:58 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:34 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Dealing with Critters in Garden
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/18/2024, 8:53 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

an indecisive newbie....

5 posters

Go down

an indecisive newbie.... Empty an indecisive newbie....

Post  Miss Erica 4/19/2012, 6:06 pm

So - been wanting to have a garden forever... finally in a house where i can do it. Started seeds in peat pellets a few weeks ago and a few of them need to be transplanted soon. (I have (6) zucchini, (6) cucumbers, (2) peas, (6) chives, (6) carrots, 2x types of peppers (Cool, oregano (6), chives (6) started) I chose those plants b/c the seed selection was limited and that is what looked good to me. I know that not all of those will probably be "transplant worthy"- so I probably won't have 48 plants to transplant. But I am feeling extremely indecisive as to how I want the gardens laid out. Oregano will probably go in a pot since it is a perennial. Maybe chives too? The rest??

I live in an extremely warm, tropical climate (Guam). My backyard is on the south side of my house and we are renting so I probably should be conservative on how many beds/etc I should build. We will be leaving in about 2 years - so I don't want to invest a fortune. I am trying to decide if I should do a typical 4x4 bed or if I should do a 2x8 bed. If I do the long bed - it would run east/west. I am leaning towards the long bed with a trellis along the northern side b/c I think the zukes, cucumbers, peas will all need the support. Of course - it is so hot here - I wonder it it would be better to have the trellis on the south side to provide a bit of shade in the heat of the summer.

My problem is that I tend to be a perfectionist and need to "do things right" and am afraid I am going to screw something up.
Miss Erica
Miss Erica

Back to top Go down

an indecisive newbie.... Empty Re: an indecisive newbie....

Post  curio 4/19/2012, 7:05 pm

one thing you will learn is with gardening, you can't expect perfection. Once in a while you will achieve it, but more often than not, you will make mistakes and learn from them. Even those that have been gardening for many years experiment with trying to make things "better" from one year to the next.

I can see your point about wanting the trellis on the south for shade. I guess my question would be: In the heat of midsummer, is the sun more towards the south pole or is it directly overhead? If it's directly overhead, I would consider the west and south side for trellising, and put the peppers and heat loving plants at the other end
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Erica 4/19/2012, 7:19 pm

We are pretty close to the equator - so i guess overhead most of the year...?
Miss Erica
Miss Erica

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/20/2012, 8:21 am

Knowing your climate, I would say the peas may not do much. They can't take the heat, so try providing some light shade for them. Beans will do much better and climb nicely on that trellis. Malibar spinach grow wild in your area of the world so would make a nice spinach substitute. If you like them, a couple of stalks of eggplant and okra can take the heat. Collards, chard and believe it or not kale will grow in the heat. Lettuce under shade. Rain bonnets in the rainy season will keep the plants from drowning and protect from the hard tropical downpours. Can you order some more interesting seeds from the catalogues. If not, PM me and I'll try to get you some via FPO. I have extra eggplant and okra seed and maybe some pole beans.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Erica 4/21/2012, 12:48 am

Thanks for the input... We went to the store today and bought the stuff to make the box/soil mix/etc. Zoinks. Almost $170. The vermiculite was $25 for a 2 cubic ft bag! Peat Moss was $11 for 2 cubic ft (already fluffed - didn't have the compressed stuff) Could only find 2x types of compost... oh well - better than one, I suppose. Decided to go with the 4x4 box... just cause... I did find kale seed and stopped at a local "plant show" to talk to some locals. One is bringing her "seed tub" back tomorrow and will sell us some seeds. That will be interesting....
Miss Erica
Miss Erica

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/21/2012, 1:30 am

Miss Erica wrote:Thanks for the input... We went to the store today and bought the stuff to make the box/soil mix/etc. Zoinks. Almost $170. The vermiculite was $25 for a 2 cubic ft bag! Peat Moss was $11 for 2 cubic ft (already fluffed - didn't have the compressed stuff) Could only find 2x types of compost... oh well - better than one, I suppose. Decided to go with the 4x4 box... just cause... I did find kale seed and stopped at a local "plant show" to talk to some locals. One is bringing her "seed tub" back tomorrow and will sell us some seeds. That will be interesting....

Congrats on finding so much stuff! Keep shopping!

You SERIOUSLY need more compost. And you need to know how pure your compost is...is there any peat or wood filler?

There are several threads about unhappiness with their results, and not enough types of compost is the problem in most cases.

See...if they used a filler to extend the compost, it effects the peat ratio...you need less peat. Too much peat overall and the mix won't work right.

Remember: MM this is the most costly, and the most cost effective part of SFG.
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottInGuam 4/21/2012, 2:50 am

Hey Erica,
My carrots are doing well in Guam, but i yanked one this morning after eight weeks and they are thinner than a pinky. Very healthy though. I heard today that kale is great, so that might be going in soon. I'd plant the peppers more toward the center and spices around the edges. Cilantro and parsley just don't seem to like it here, but my rosemary and mint plants are doing well. You cannot do anything to hurt basil, it loves it here.

Eggplant is quite vibrant, but I don't have any fruit growing yet. Radish and daikon are easy, while onions seem a little persnickety. Also, corn and bitter melon are going gangbusters. Very strong plants.

Start your own compost pile, and by the time you start harvesting you will be able to invigorate your soil again.
ScottInGuam
ScottInGuam

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Erica 4/22/2012, 1:53 am

I dont know about the basil being indestructible. I got one up at Home Depot and it is looking VERY poorly. Based on google - i am guessing fussilium wilt. Bad news.
Miss Erica
Miss Erica

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottInGuam 4/23/2012, 4:37 am

most of the anti-fungal things will work on that wilt. So far our basil is really, really hearty.
ScottInGuam
ScottInGuam

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down