Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
So Cal April Garden Report - It's Melon Time!  Toplef10So Cal April Garden Report - It's Melon Time!  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

So Cal April Garden Report - It's Melon Time!  I22gcj10So Cal April Garden Report - It's Melon Time!  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
So Cal April Garden Report - It's Melon Time!  Toplef10So Cal April Garden Report - It's Melon Time!  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

So Cal April Garden Report - It's Melon Time!  I22gcj10So Cal April Garden Report - It's Melon Time!  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 5:02 pm

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Today at 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

So Cal April Garden Report - It's Melon Time!

+3
Thornesworld
shannon1
Chopper
7 posters

Go down

So Cal April Garden Report - It's Melon Time!  Empty So Cal April Garden Report - It's Melon Time!

Post  Chopper 4/1/2012, 12:27 am

Every time I think the greens will bolt it cools off again. It's summer! It's winter! It's summer! It's winter! Geeesh. Anyway, assuming we do not go into a deep freeze, it is time to plant the first melons. It looks like it will be warming up with night temps in the 40s or 50s but that is normal.

Anyway - What To Plant Now:

Beans, Bush
Beans, Pole
Beets
Cantalope
Carrots
Corn
Cucumber
Eggplant
Herbs
Jicama
Lima Beans
Melons
Onions/Garlic sets
Parsley
Peppers
Potatoes
Pumpkin
Squash, summer
Squash, Winter
Sunflowers
Tomato plants
Watermelon

Also this is the last really good month to plant potatoes, but you might get away with it until June.

Saw a fellow SFG forum member at the local Armstrong and we did not say one word to each other! LOL. It was at a tomato class and I had to leave for another appointment. We spoke by text, but not in person. Ah, the future is now.

Anyway, I am way behind with only one tomato plant in the ground (one of the gold ones) and a few bean seeds. But still harvesting plenty of salad greens, some carrots and the peas are starting to come fast and furious.

Btw, I have decided to build, plant and optionally maintain SFGs for people so feel free to pass this info on (San Diego and Riverside Counties). PM me here and I will give you my phone number. I am even having cards made! Love that Vistaprint.

What's happening in your garden? Some of you must be way ahead of me.

About a month ago:
So Cal April Garden Report - It's Melon Time!  Built_10
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

So Cal April Garden Report - It's Melon Time!  Empty Re: So Cal April Garden Report - It's Melon Time!

Post  shannon1 4/1/2012, 4:52 am

Looks good to me. I'm in zone 9a and the winter was so mild my winter didn't do that great but I have a head start on the summer garden.

tomatoes

sweet peppers

hot peppers

eggplant

rosemary

greek orageno

cilantro

spring onions

passion fruit

cucumbers

green pole beans

lettuce

and flowers
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

So Cal April Garden Report - It's Melon Time!  Empty Re: So Cal April Garden Report - It's Melon Time!

Post  Chopper 4/2/2012, 12:34 am

Sounds good. I like to dedicate squares or a whole box to flowers too. Don't have a spare this year, but it is always a good idea. Most of the flowers I like do not make good cut flowers, but I find that zinnias do and they last about as long as mums but have a longer season.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 4/2/2012, 12:49 am

the flowers I grow are in pots and I plant them to attract benefical insects. I like the pots so I can move them where they will do the most good;)
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Thornesworld 4/2/2012, 1:10 am

You are soooo lucky. I can't plant anything out until May! Last year it snowed here on Mother's Day. :-(
Thornesworld
Thornesworld

Female Posts : 17

http://thornesworld.com

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 4/12/2012, 2:11 pm

I'm down in zone 22, my lettuces bolted back at the beginning of March. My cukes and melon are struggling in their starters because of the cold nights.

Trying two new melons this year. Green Machine and Ananas D'Amerique A Chair Verte Melon The green machines aren't germinating very well, only 3/7. The Ananas did well with 6/6. The cukes also did well with 17/18. Was hoping the green machine would grow well as the hertitage melons like Ananas I tend to have funny problems with.

My raise bed I was planning on planting them in still get's a bit too much shade since it's early.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 4/12/2012, 3:35 pm

I was worried about bolting and when I thought it would for sure happen, it would cool off again. Like now. But I am currently tired of not having any free squares so will likely pull out the lettuce this week anyway. And I think the taste is starting to lean to bitter. I am in zone 18 right now.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 4/12/2012, 4:10 pm

I'm in the process of expanding the vermiculite content in my beds. Originally I needed to shortage the mix going more outdoor patio mix due to lack of Verm when I set up. I think the vermiculite makes a huge difference in SoCal in preventing over watering while at the same time helping the soil retain more water. i.e. the soil will stay moist without being soggy longer and helps prevent dry spots.

If you recall my failures last year, my drip set up did not keep up. I'm not switching from a drip set up to a spray system to cover the area and hopefully prevent dry patch spreading. We'll see. This weekend, I will need to rip out my bolting lettuce and amend vermiculite and compost. My bed settled about 30%. So it's a refluff and amend time and then transplant melons, cukes and a peppers if I find some good ones at Orchard or Armstrong.

Once I get the plants going, I have a bag of mulch to layer which will hopefully help with the summer baking. But it's kind of coin toss around my area, I could go cool and marine layered out or I could bake. Or I could both in the same week, like last week.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 4/13/2012, 4:46 am

I do not think mulch is a bad idea anytime. When it is marine layer, no biggie and when it is hot, it helps. I used mulch in one bed a couple of years ago and liked it. Not all crops lend themselves to mulch - for some things there would hardly be any room.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 4/13/2012, 10:46 am

I read an article that said if your lettuce bolt and taste bitter, 2 or 3 days in the fridge in a zippy bag will get rid of the bitterness............ not tried it though.
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/13/2012, 10:48 am

works to a certain degree. Does best when the bolting is just starting, but not so well in advanced cases.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  subsonic 4/20/2012, 7:12 am

well lets see
this month I harvested carrots, and carrots and carrots
radishes till I never want to see another, till next fall that is
last of the cabbage
still have a few romaines out there

My Garlic patch planted last fall looks like this fall I will have a bumper crop, this seems to be a good year for garlic
Basil, oregano, dill, rosemary, sage, all doing great and am starting to use them already

new squash and zucchini in and saw the first flowers today
Tomatoes look to have taken the transplant extremely well, the plants are putting on a lot of new growth, I was worried with the temperatures we had with the rain last week
Peppers, Tomatillos, in the ground and taking the transplant
Blueberry bush looking good

Corn is starting to sprout

I will be creating a new area for an asparagus bed this weekend as well as working the mow strip out front putting in flowers. and I have to decide about my mulch pile, I think I am going get one of those tumblers, my dog has decided he loves to dig in the mulch pile.

that is my April report
subsonic
subsonic

Male Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 4/21/2012, 2:26 am

Subsonic, sounds great. You are way ahead of me.

After our 100 degree day I am taking out a square of lettuce and putting in some peppers. Just the sweet kind. I grew one per square last year but I am trying for two per square this year. We shall see. Have to go to my storage unit to get the compost for the square. LOL.

Bought some basil and something ate it! But not the cilantro in the same square or anything else. Odd.

Things are heating up and gardening really gets going now. We should all have some fun in the sun.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down