Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
soil block - Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos - Page 2 Toplef10soil block - Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

soil block - Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos - Page 2 I22gcj10soil block - Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
soil block - Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos - Page 2 Toplef10soil block - Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

soil block - Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos - Page 2 I22gcj10soil block - Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos

+12
has55
Kelejan
trolleydriver
canada6827
Turan
floyd1440
UnderTheBlackWalnut
llama momma
CindiLou
AvaDGardner
RoOsTeR
quiltbea
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

soil block - Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos - Page 2 Empty Re: Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos

Post  canada6827 9/23/2016, 7:05 pm

Thank you for the link. It is pretty much what I found online. Most of the 'recipes' called for peat moss, perlite and compost. Much like Mel's mix. That's why I asked if I could just use it. Thought it would be simpler than buying additional ingredients. But guess I'll just have to play around with it.
Thanks for the responses.
canada6827
canada6827

Female Posts : 15

Back to top Go down

soil block - Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos - Page 2 Empty Re: Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos

Post  trolleydriver 9/23/2016, 7:11 pm

canada6827 wrote:Thank you for the link. It is pretty much what I found online. Most of the 'recipes' called for peat moss, perlite and compost. Much like Mel's mix. That's why I asked if I could just use it. Thought it would be simpler than buying additional ingredients. But guess I'll just have to play around with it.
Thanks for the responses.
If you use vermiculite (e.g., instead of perlite) it probably would be better to use a finer vermiculite in the mix rather than the coarse vermiculite required for Mel's Mix.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/24/2016, 9:45 am

3 Qts Peat Moss, 2 Tablespoons Greensand, 2 Tablespoons Phosphate Rock, 2 Tablespoons Bloodmeal. Mix together well. Then add: 1 Qt Perlite, 3 Qts Compost. Mix together and use this for your soil block starting soil.

The above is the recipe for Johnnie's Mix that can be purchased from them, at great cost seeing as they are in the US and not Canada.

I tried my best to get the ingredients and still have some on hand but where do I get Greensand and Phospate Rock when I only need 2 tablespoons of each?

I have on hand peat moss, Bloodmeal, compost. I have looked at the actual production on video and it looks so easy.

Maybe the make up of the compost is critical?

Perhaps there is a market that could sell the properly mixed ingredients that would be guaranteed to work? So that we could buy it off the shelf.  These tiny quantities are so much hassle, at least to me.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 9/24/2016, 10:22 am

great tutorial
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 9/24/2016, 12:10 pm

Kelejan, I add a couple Tablespoons of an organic gardening fertilizer I keep around, rather than individual ingredients.  I have a small bag of Espoma's brand.  This is not critical, especially if the compost is good, just like in every thing else we do. 

As I usually only start a couple dozen or so plants each spring so I look to what is easy to find and not frozen. For the soil I look at the commercially available seed starting mixes.  I look for one that has a fine texture.  When I use it I usually end up adding a handful more peat, that is what holds the blocks together, but I try it first and then add peat if and as much as needed to get the right consistency.  I suspect MM would work just fine if the vermiculite/perlite is not too large in size and quantity, add extra peat if the blocks do not hold. I have had good success with these brands-  Jiffy seed starter mix brand and even Miracle Grow Organic seed starter.  Not so good with Fox Farm's Seed Warrior, the perlite is too big and too much so the blocks do not hold, but it is good in trays.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/24/2016, 12:49 pm

Thanks, turin, that sounds so helpful.  I have c & P it in Word under Gardening - Making Soil Blocks so I will have it on hand when I start later this year.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 9/26/2016, 11:32 pm

I've seen soil blockers on sale at Johnny's Seed on and off through this year.  I bought the small one and the 2"...I started carrot seeds indoors in the small ones...and I did beets, sugar snap peas, and peppers in the large blocks.  The large blocks worked well...I had trouble getting the small blocks to work with the mix I had on hand.  I had too many small woody pieces in my compost to get good compression in the small blocks.soil block - Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos - Page 2 Soil_b10
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/27/2016, 2:57 pm

Nice example

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/5/2024, 10:53 pm

Soil blocks is how I still start most of my plants. I think the plants transplant much better. This is a good tutorial that Quiltbee made.
I just started - 12 tomatoes, 6 kinds, - 12 peppers, 3 kinds, - and 10 broccoli, 2 kinds. This weekend I will probably start some spinach and lettuce too.

Turan
Turan

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 4/7/2024, 12:37 am

It's been a dozen years since the first post in this thread. It looks like Amazon now sells lots of these, from $8 to $40+ or more. Almost all of them were 2" makers.

The exception is a tool by Fiskars. It makes a ridiculously large 3.5 inch pot, or four smaller 1" pots. It runs about $15. I might check that out, as my supply of yogurt containers has dried up.

The price I found at Johnny's was about $50, and there doesn't appear to be a 3/4 inch maker anymore. Smallest is 1.5 inch. But maybe I'm searching with the wrong text or something.

I seem to recall that we had a post somewhere with someone with plans for making block makers in a 3D printer.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/7/2024, 10:47 am

markqz wrote:The price I found at Johnny's was about $50, and there doesn't appear to be a 3/4 inch maker anymore. Smallest is 1.5 inch. But maybe I'm searching with the wrong text or something.

I saw this interesting listing for a soil blocker that makes 20 3/4" blocks.

https://thegardenersworkshop.com/product/kit-starter-soil-blocking/

And then, there is this one that makes 20 1/2" blocks.

https://territorialseed.com/products/micro-20-1-2-in-soil-blocker

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

I only have the 2" block maker, it makes 4 at a time. I like the idea of the 1/2" blocks but could never get myself to buy the maker partially because it makes so many at a time. I got my 2" block maker used a dozen years ago. It is still going strong. If I have to pot up a size I use the 4" plastic pots that I seem to collect. I have to be careful to wash and bleach those plastic pots so I do not spread disease.

Turan
Turan

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 4/23/2024, 11:37 pm

I got the Fiskars. I may need to work on the recipe some more. Here's a tray of De Jeur radishes, about 10 days into their growth cycle. I like the 1" size. The 4" size is enormous, but I think I can slice an inch off the bottom and make it into a hocky-puck pot for starting squash.

soil block - Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos - Page 2 An3razN
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/25/2024, 3:09 pm

Mel's Mix or other recipe?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/25/2024, 3:17 pm

sanderson wrote:Mel's Mix or other recipe?
In general, for soil blocks Mel's Mix would not hold shape well enough. You need a higher percentage of peat or lesser percentage of vermiculite. I think a recipe is posted in this thread or another one.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

Johnny's Select Seeds has an excellent article on tips for making soil blocks, including a recipe.

https://www.johnnyseeds.com/growers-library/methods-tools-supplies/seed-starting-transplanting/soil-block-makers-eliot-coleman.html

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Turan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2