Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
sprouted seeds Toplef10sprouted seeds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

sprouted seeds I22gcj10sprouted seeds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
sprouted seeds Toplef10sprouted seeds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

sprouted seeds I22gcj10sprouted seeds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

sprouted seeds

3 posters

Go down

sprouted seeds Empty sprouted seeds

Post  jazzymaddy 2/18/2012, 8:57 am

I'm sprouting my own seeds for the first time this year. Several questions.

• The peas obviously didn't have enough verm. on top of them, as they are now poking up out of it. No leaves yet, just the seed. Should I add a fresh layer?
  • My weather is very mild right now. Can I stick them outside and just bring them in when it's going to be extra cold at night? How cold is extra cold? 32? Or higher than that?
  • I've currently got my store-bought broc and cauli seedlings outside for that same reason, and they seem to be doing well. How long can I keep them in their store-bought containers before I have to plant or transplant them? I don't want them to become root-bound, but I think it may be too early to have them live outside.
I think that's it for now, but I'm sure I'll come up with more.
Thanks y'all.
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

sprouted seeds Empty Re: sprouted seeds

Post  camprn 2/18/2012, 9:12 am

jazzymaddy wrote:I'm sprouting my own seeds for the first time this year. Several questions.

• The peas obviously didn't have enough verm. on top of them, as they are now poking up out of it. No leaves yet, just the seed. Should I add a fresh layer?
  • My weather is very mild right now. Can I stick them outside and just bring them in when it's going to be extra cold at night? How cold is extra cold? 32? Or higher than that?
When I am getting ready to plant peas, I let them soak overnight in a jar of water and drain them the next morning. I will keep a loose lid on the jar and rinse the seeds once a day. Once the peas begin sprouting I plant them directly in the garden and will have the trellis already set up. I prefer to sprout peas in the house before planting because they have a less than 98% germination rate and I want every seed I plant into the garden to be viable. They can tolerate quite cold and prefer cool conditions. Read more about peas here.
jazzymaddy wrote:

• I've currently got my store-bought broc and cauli seedlings outside for that same reason, and they seem to be doing well. How long can I keep them in their store-bought containers before I have to plant or transplant them? I don't want them to become root-bound, but I think it may be too early to have them live outside.
Thanks y'all.
Broccoli, cauliflower, kale, cabbage, kohlrabi, Brussels sprouts are all cold tolerant and transplanting into the garden early is not a bad thing. No need to let them sit in the little trays. If they have come from a hot house environment be sure to harden off before transplanting. More info about brassicas here.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

sprouted seeds WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 2/18/2012, 9:37 am

jazzymaddy wrote:I'm sprouting my own seeds for the first time this year. Several questions.

Thanks y'all.

I try to follow the directions when planting, so if you didn't sufficiently cover the seeds, you might want to cover them up just a bit.

Fresh sprouts always seem to bring out the critters in my garden (mainly snails). Therefore, I often plant a lot more seeds than I think I'll need and even though it kills me, I thin them as needed (they say you can actually eat the young pea sprouts).

Broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower can take a light frost, so transplanting them now and using a cold frame might be a good idea, especially if you've hardened them off for a few days already.

I'm the kind of person that enjoys being thrifty with some things. I'm told that you can often get clear plastic from furniture and/or mattress stores. Since the transplants aren't tall, it won't take much plastic and some small sticks ought to work just fine in keeping the plastic off the plants.
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down