Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 2 Toplef10Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 2 I22gcj10Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 2 Toplef10Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 2 I22gcj10Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser?

+40
sanderson
jrfrommd
jimmy cee
westie
boffer
batmap
LittleGardener
Marc Iverson
brainchasm
cautery
jjlonsdale
RoOsTeR
Gunny
jazzycat
Windsor.Parker
Coelli
naturaldoc
prman
webbee
mollyhespra
H_TX_2
Windmere
Muckmuck
JackieB999
Thomas
llama momma
walshevak
wncsohn
donnainzone5
plantoid
Kelejan
Unmutual
Triciasgarden
CharlesB
TN_GARDENER
CapeCoddess
camprn
GWN
deriter
Lindacol
44 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 2 Empty Re: Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser?

Post  plantoid 1/11/2013, 3:28 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Oh...oh wow....I just brought in some buckets today that have frozen water in them at the moment. Wasn't sure what I was going to do with them. Wish they were round and not rectangle. thinking This'll be a challenge, in more ways than one. Wish I drank beer.

Can you pour it on even tho the compost pile is frozen?

CC

If it will release en bloc from the bucket , dump the block on the pile it will sort itself out when the thaw comes .
No need to drink beer just 8 to 10 glass of clean water , it's not as fatttening either Laughing
Learn how to pee standing up Wink Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 2 Empty Re: Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser?

Post  Triciasgarden 1/13/2013, 2:24 am

CapeCoddess wrote:I just hope it holds my weight. Shocked

CC

I get it, but it took me a minute! rofl Not very comfortable though!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 1/13/2013, 2:31 am

plantoid wrote:
CapeCoddess wrote:Oh...oh wow....I just brought in some buckets today that have frozen water in them at the moment. Wasn't sure what I was going to do with them. Wish they were round and not rectangle. thinking This'll be a challenge, in more ways than one. Wish I drank beer.

Can you pour it on even tho the compost pile is frozen?

CC

If it will release en bloc from the bucket , dump the block on the pile it will sort itself out when the thaw comes .
No need to drink beer just 8 to 10 glass of clean water , it's not as fatttening either Laughing
Learn how to pee standing up Wink Laughing

Easier said than done for some of us! rofl
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/13/2013, 8:31 am

Houston, we have splash down! cheers The 'success' was added to the compost pile this morning, diluted.

Question: I realize it should be diluted when using directly on the garden, but does it have to be diluted when adding to the compost pile?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/13/2013, 8:35 am

CapeCoddess wrote:Houston, we have splash down! cheers The 'success' was added to the compost pile this morning, diluted.

Question: I realize it should be diluted when using directly on the garden, but does it have to be diluted when adding to the compost pile?

CC
no

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  deriter 1/14/2013, 8:15 am

"Houston, we have splash down!"

I mean really? rofl
deriter
deriter

Male Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 1/14/2013, 11:10 am

The only downside I can see in using urine as a compost additive/fertilizer is that traces of prescription medicines (if you take them) will be in it.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  wncsohn 1/14/2013, 11:40 am

Hmm ... this is actually something I've been very interested in doing. I even have a book on my wish list on Amazon called "Liquid Gold: The Lore and Logic of using Urine to Grow Plants"

If they had the Kindle version I'd have already gotten it! LOL I'm a Kindle addict in a way. Embarassed

I've also read the Humanure Handbook. Shocked

What it says is really interesting, even though I haven't followed through on it.
wncsohn
wncsohn

Female Posts : 98

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/14/2013, 3:42 pm

I had an incident while snowshoeing in the cold.....trying to pee while standing in 3 feet of snow and lost my balance .... well... long story
But friend suggested this... I thought Embarassed LOL it might have some bearing on this subject
http://www.go-girl.com/what-is-gogirl.asp
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/14/2013, 4:17 pm

Now that is funny .. don't eat yellow snow even if it does look pretty . Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 1/14/2013, 4:34 pm

GWN wrote:I had an incident while snowshoeing in the cold.....trying to pee while standing in 3 feet of snow and lost my balance .... well... long story
But friend suggested this... I thought Embarassed LOL it might have some bearing on this subject

Thanks for posting this. I have many times been in a position where this would come in handy. Still don't think I would use it in the garden as that is still too open an area.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/15/2013, 3:14 pm

GWN wrote:I had an incident while snowshoeing in the cold.....trying to pee while standing in 3 feet of snow and lost my balance .... well... long story

What will they think of next!!!!!

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/15/2013, 3:32 pm

GWN wrote:

"Play the Demo"...??? I couldn't.

But it's a great idea. It must squish up pretty small if it's supposed to fit in MY purse. I only use fanny paks.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/15/2013, 3:38 pm

Ewwee- that go-girl contraption is gross. Never gonna find that thing in my purse! Nothing wrong with always without fail lining public seating with plenty of free t.paper! Wink
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 1/15/2013, 4:42 pm

llama momma wrote:Ewwee- that go-girl contraption is gross. Never gonna find that thing in my purse! Nothing wrong with always without fail lining public seating with plenty of free t.paper! Wink

But what about when there is no seat available?. I've been in that situation a few times and as I get older squatting is not an option.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/15/2013, 4:48 pm

Lindacol wrote:
llama momma wrote:Ewwee- that go-girl contraption is gross. Never gonna find that thing in my purse! Nothing wrong with always without fail lining public seating with plenty of free t.paper! Wink

But what about when there is no seat available?. I've been in that situation a few times and as I get older squatting is not an option.

In some countries there is only a squatter seldom a western toilet. I can't squat that low any more and have real problems when wearing slacks. Ever wonder why so many old women wear skirts?

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/15/2013, 4:55 pm

lindacol
idk I guess at this time my lifestyle does not put me in places without the usual facilities? Very Happy
But years ago I did a marathon in Alaska and 1/2 the trail was through the wilderness so some people went in the woods, I just waited for the next available port a potty!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/15/2013, 6:25 pm

http://www.permies.com/t/3965/homestead/women-peeing-outdoors#33734

In case some of you feel a wee bit uncomfortable at the subject being covered on this thread and not wanting to be letting out your personal secrets perhaps the above link may help you get over things and give some of you a better understanding of things.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 1/15/2013, 6:49 pm

Female heli-skiers must have such an option....
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/15/2013, 7:41 pm

and stuck in traffic?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/15/2013, 8:00 pm

Carol
I am a kindle addict myself, too many thrown out books... now a library in a tiny space
That books looks good, thought I would post the description of the book here
"Liquid Gold: The Lore and Logic of using Urine to Grow Plants"
Nitrogen pollution of lakes, rivers, and oceans by human urine is a growing problem. Liquid Gold shows how urine can safely be used to grow food, fuel, fiber, and beautiful landscapes while protecting the environment and providing free and safe fertilizer. Featuring a short history of urine use—from ritual to medicinal and even culinary—and many whimsical illustrations, this great bathroom reader is an ideal gift for irreverent gardeners, homeowners, campers, environmentalists, and anyone who urinates.
I had never thought about it as an action to decrease pollution. Thank you.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/16/2013, 1:30 am

GWN wrote:and stuck in traffic?

Originally from Long Island, NY I am totally familiar with epic/horrendous traffic. But Amanda Ohio? rofl Population 900 it doesn't happen. When I go into the nearby cities I am part of the retired crowd that can avoid traffic by doing errands on weekdays between 9 and 3pm. But at times I go out on purpose during busy times for the excitement of it, there's more people to watch Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 2 370856013
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/16/2013, 10:31 am

Originally from Long Island, NY I am totally familiar with epic/horrendous traffic. But Amanda Ohio? Population 900 it doesn't happen. When I go into the nearby cities I am part of the retired crowd that can avoid traffic by doing errands on weekdays between 9 and 3pm. But at times I go out on purpose during busy times for the excitement of it, there's more people to watch

I am with you there LM, I live in Scotch Creek, population 500.......no traffic here, except on farmers market, the local pharmacy parking lot is a little hard to find a spot... but we ride our bikes...
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/16/2013, 11:46 am

plantoid wrote:http://www.permies.com/t/3965/homestead/women-peeing-outdoors#33734

In case some of you feel a wee bit uncomfortable at the subject being covered on this thread and not wanting to be letting out your personal secrets perhaps the above link may help you get over things and give some of you a better understanding of things.

Great thread, Plantoid. Thanks. I particularly found this line interesting for anyone with pest issues:
"certainly I would not blink at going outside and I have done that at night to mark my territory for the coyotes and neighbours dogs in no uncertain terms"

Wonder if it would work with rabbits & cats? Worth a try.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas 1/16/2013, 12:04 pm

My compost pile has been very slow to decompose. So after seeing this thread, I have been "collecting" and have added my collections to the pile. I am interested to see if it speeds things along.
Thomas
Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next