Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 5 Toplef10Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 5 I22gcj10Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 5 Toplef10Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 5 I22gcj10Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser?

+40
sanderson
jrfrommd
jimmy cee
westie
boffer
batmap
LittleGardener
Marc Iverson
brainchasm
cautery
jjlonsdale
RoOsTeR
Gunny
jazzycat
Windsor.Parker
Coelli
naturaldoc
prman
webbee
mollyhespra
H_TX_2
Windmere
Muckmuck
JackieB999
Thomas
llama momma
walshevak
wncsohn
donnainzone5
plantoid
Kelejan
Unmutual
Triciasgarden
CharlesB
TN_GARDENER
CapeCoddess
camprn
GWN
deriter
Lindacol
44 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 5 Empty Re: Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser?

Post  GWN 4/29/2013, 10:05 am

I only use it on my spinach and basil and cilantro.... The ones that really like the nitrogen.
Unless a person has a urinary tract infection, there are no pathogens. Human urine is sterile.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 5 Empty Re: Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser?

Post  Marc Iverson 7/11/2013, 1:04 pm

Lindacol wrote:
llama momma wrote:Ewwee- that go-girl contraption is gross. Never gonna find that thing in my purse! Nothing wrong with always without fail lining public seating with plenty of free t.paper! Wink

But what about when there is no seat available?. I've been in that situation a few times and as I get older squatting is not an option.

Time to sign up for yoga classes!

Seriously, your post reminded me of all the older Asians I've seen squatting so low their butts could hit the ground. I couldn't do that when I was 20!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/11/2013, 2:11 pm

mollyhespra wrote:
donnainzone10 wrote:The only downside I can see in using urine as a compost additive/fertilizer is that traces of prescription medicines (if you take them) will be in it.

I was wondering the same thing about even vitamins. I've noticed that the colorant they put in the pills stains my urine a bright orangey color, or maybe that's the color of the vitamins that weren't absorbed. If it's just vitamins, then I don't think it would hurt anything, but if it's colorant or, like you mentioned, medication residue, then I'd be wary of using it in the compost pile.

The bright yellow is just vitamin B-2. I could be wrong, but I would be surprised if the "leftover" vitamins you might pass would be problematic. It's something that comes from foods normally anyway.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 7/12/2013, 12:24 am

My neighbor today complimented me on my garden (his house overlooks my back yard) and asked when I fertilize with. I dodged the question and just said "organic fertilizer."

My garden is NUTS. Seriously nuts. Overflowing with produce and monstrous plants. I sure didn't have a year like this last year!
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/12/2013, 1:12 am

I confess to worrying about the salt build-up.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/12/2013, 1:28 am

Marc Iverson wrote:
Lindacol wrote:
llama momma wrote:Ewwee- that go-girl contraption is gross.  Never gonna find that thing in my purse! Nothing wrong with always without fail lining public seating with plenty of free t.paper! Wink
But what about when there is no seat available?. I've been in that situation a few times and as I get older squatting is not an option.
Time to sign up for yoga classes!
Seriously, your post reminded me of all the older Asians I've seen squatting so low their butts could hit the ground.  I couldn't do that when I was 20!
oh, my!
This thread is a scream, a scream! Laughing I laughed... (good-naturedly of course). If ever someone had a bad day, point them here & they're guaranteed to cheer right up ;)lol
re Yoga & Pilates, the only position I can't YET achieve let alone hold is the plank What a Face All others a piece of cake. - Adding to your Organic-compost, you could try it one-legged ( Razz ) using fence for support. Aerobics & Ballet on the pile... LOL

But seriously, in Emergency-medicine it's documented that people are chronically dehydrated to varying degrees, & often don't know (overtly asymptomatic) with a continuous... unpainful UTI (urinary tract infection). Iow
how does such bacteria... interact ? with our favorite foods growing... &
more to the point How can someone know when the compost-pile has really done its thing to kill ? anything needful.
Once those concerns are answered, this added Nitrogen-source could be a useful practice.
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  batmap 7/12/2013, 12:30 pm

Salt content in urine would need to be monitored or controlled in order to prevent soil failure, if that is even possible with small amounts of urine talked about in this topic. And not even sure of a monitoring process, aside from bluntly asking questions about salt content of their food. Anyway, more on that later.

The septic tank, on the farm where I grew up, had two drainfields. Flow stopped at least once, but I do not know why. I seem to remember an activator additive released the "clog". At the time, salt content never clicked in my mind as a contributing factor. But after reading this article, it all makes sense.

http://septictankinfo.com/Gayman_Soil_Failure.shtml

So, eating/drinking foods with high sodium content (beef jerky, canned food, drinks, etc) could be bad for your soil if you then add your urine to compost/soil. Conversely, all natural fresh produce would likely reduce the possibility of your urine additive causing soil failure.

"Brawndo, the thirst mutilator has electrolytes. It's got what plants crave."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1fKzw05Q5A

https://www.youtube.com/channel/HCNpK1LEfQ4LI
I apologize, but this movie is hilarious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBvIweCIgwk
batmap
batmap

Male Posts : 70

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/12/2013, 12:45 pm

Just pee on the compost pile for no worries. What a Face 

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 5 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/12/2013, 12:50 pm

Good link! Taught me a lot.

Dilution of urine may be helpful, but continued application is the same as not diluting it at all. And what of suggestions to pee on your compost. As a starter, perhaps great, but ... how many times will it be done? After a certain point, how salty will that compost become?

As the compost shrinks, as it does with cold composting, how much more concentrated still will the remaining compost become? This is analogous to a problem in cooking sauces or soups ... the salt level may be just right, but as the sauce/soup cooks down, the salt steadily concentrates in the remaining liquid, possibly making it taste much saltier than it started out as.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/12/2013, 12:53 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:
...what of suggestions to pee on your compost.  As a starter, perhaps great, but ... how many times will it be done?  After a certain point, how salty will that compost become?  

As a starter only. The garden and the compost pile is not meant to be a latrine.

Last edited by camprn on 7/12/2013, 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected grammar)

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 5 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/12/2013, 1:14 pm

Agreed.

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 5 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/12/2013, 4:18 pm

One of the advantages of raised beds in general, not just SFG, is that salts are easily flushed out with normal watering, and don't accumulate like they can in soil.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 6/15/2014, 11:08 pm

I think it's time to BUMP this thread!

We use urine (neither of us is on any meds) and blend it 1 part to 10 parts water and it does WONDERS for boosting growth and vigor.  I noticed today some purple veining on an annual I put in a pot a few weeks ago, and started giving her some Dr. P. today so hopefully it will help clear up the problem.  I also use it on my indoor plants at work (everyone wonders how I keep them looking so healthy, LOL!)

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 5 3170584802 to "our little secret"  Wink
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 6/16/2014, 11:59 am

Just don't let them know what you really use!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/16/2014, 12:14 pm

Dr. P! *lol*  I like that!

We call it P-fert at my house.  Annual flowering plants LOVE it!  I use it once every 3 or so waterings.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  westie 6/17/2014, 3:32 am

It’s also the ultimate compost activator at my bins. I have now gone back to using the trusty old bed pan.
westie
westie

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/17/2014, 10:16 am

I do think that the key is NOT telling.
We find that it keeps away the deer as well
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/18/2014, 7:37 am

GWN wrote:I do think that the key is NOT telling.
We find that it keeps away the deer as well

Do you reckon it would keep the bears away as well?
I had a bear visit my car port yesterday at three in the morning. He/she was a young bear looking for food but would have found nothing as I keep all my stuff secure. This when I am glad my small dog Jazz is on the job.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 6/18/2014, 8:35 am

I don't know about it keeping bears away; maybe it depends on the kind of bear that you have.  We have lots of black bears up my way.  One big one seems to do the rounds every two days or so and visits our compost pile.  DH is in the woods on a weekly basis and he's noticed a pattern with bears: they're curious about human activity and seem to go where he's gone, digging by a tree that DH has visited, etc.  Maybe it's a coincidence, but I think the bears might be attracted by human smells (association with food, probably) as opposed to frightened/repelled by them.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/18/2014, 7:18 pm

I don't count on anything keeping deer away from my garden, be it flowers or veggies, we're on the edge of a large small town U.S.A. people in their yards cooking, playing etc. dogs running cats roaming etc.
Deer are everywhere and anywhere they want to be, if something scares them or keeps them away, they will only try again.
After a few tries, no apparent danger so their free to go where they want..
A fence and lead is their only obstacles..
I have a 3 foot fence, they don't jump over, why ?
Inside I have angle irons sticking up and they detect the danger, irregular footing keeps them out also...
Now a bear is another thought, one that I wish not to think about..Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 5 Garden10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  jrfrommd 6/18/2014, 7:24 pm

I find that deer tenderloin smoking on the grill or smoker can be a deterrent Very Happy
jrfrommd
jrfrommd

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/19/2014, 12:31 am

jrfrommd wrote:I find that deer tenderloin smoking on the grill or smoker can be a deterrent Very Happy
 funny post 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/19/2014, 7:58 am

Jimmy - it could be because your fence is right next to the garden beds.  Deer like clear space on both sides of a fence.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/19/2014, 8:43 am

jrfrommd wrote:I find that deer tenderloin smoking on the grill or smoker can be a deterrent Very Happy

ooooo that sounds good.  When's dinner?

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/19/2014, 3:30 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Jimmy - it could be because your fence is right next to the garden beds.  Deer like clear space on both sides of a fence.

Could be. My neighbor has deer all over the outside of his house at any random time, and they never jump his six-foot fence. He believes it is because they like a nice clear landing area and a reasonable space to be in, and his space is uncomfortably small and crowded for them. He believes if he had a bigger space and fences further from his boxes, he'd be more likely to have deer in his garden.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next