Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 3 Toplef10Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 3 I22gcj10Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 3 Toplef10Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 3 I22gcj10Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser?

+40
sanderson
jrfrommd
jimmy cee
westie
boffer
batmap
LittleGardener
Marc Iverson
brainchasm
cautery
jjlonsdale
RoOsTeR
Gunny
jazzycat
Windsor.Parker
Coelli
naturaldoc
prman
webbee
mollyhespra
H_TX_2
Windmere
Muckmuck
JackieB999
Thomas
llama momma
walshevak
wncsohn
donnainzone5
plantoid
Kelejan
Unmutual
Triciasgarden
CharlesB
TN_GARDENER
CapeCoddess
camprn
GWN
deriter
Lindacol
44 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 3 Empty Re: Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser?

Post  GWN 1/16/2013, 6:17 pm

"certainly I would not blink at going outside and I have done that at night to mark my territory for the coyotes and neighbours dogs in no uncertain terms"
You know CC, I found that the deer did not come into our yard all summer, despite hearing from everyone else how their gardens had been desimated by deer.
I WAS using the urine for the spinach and basil, and towards the end of summer quit and now that I look back, :scratch: that is when the deer showed up.....
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 3 Empty Re: Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser?

Post  plantoid 1/16/2013, 9:04 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
plantoid wrote:http://www.permies.com/t/3965/homestead/women-peeing-outdoors#33734

In case some of you feel a wee bit uncomfortable at the subject being covered on this thread and not wanting to be letting out your personal secrets perhaps the above link may help you get over things and give some of you a better understanding of things.

Great thread, Plantoid. Thanks. I particularly found this line interesting for anyone with pest issues:
"certainly I would not blink at going outside and I have done that at night to mark my territory for the coyotes and neighbours dogs in no uncertain terms"

Wonder if it would work with rabbits & cats? Worth a try.

CC

A good aim is needed methinks ... Laughing Laughing Wink
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/16/2013, 9:12 pm

Thomas wrote:My compost pile has been very slow to decompose. So after seeing this thread, I have been "collecting" and have added my collections to the pile. I am interested to see if it speeds things along.

Keep the heap damp and covered so it sweats & gets the necessary decomposition bacterial action & fungi going .. This will help speed up the decomposition .
Uncover and fork over to re oxygenate the heap to give new oxygen the bacteria and fungi , re damp / wet slightly with diluted urine at 20 to 1 plus a spray hose or spray water can as you rebuild the heap and re cover. Repeat in a week or so's time and if needed repeat again over several weeks for a well composted finished heap that you can use right away .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/17/2013, 12:13 pm

GWN wrote:You know CC, I found that the deer did not come into our yard all summer, despite hearing from everyone else how their gardens had been desimated by deer.
I WAS using the urine for the spinach and basil, and towards the end of summer quit and now that I look back, :scratch: that is when the deer showed up.....

That's VERY interesting! Thanks for letting us know. It was diluted, right? Wonder if it works on slugs? GWN, did you have slugs?

I wonder if pouring straight urine around the outside edges of the boxes would be the way to go for some serious pest repellent. If it works we'd need to change this thread topic to » "Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertilizer & pest repellent?" What a Face

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/17/2013, 9:34 pm

You KNOW CC, perhaps we need to do a study, perhaps a month on and a month off.... I do not have many slugs here, I DID in Oregon. The ones here are very small and very destructive, because they are hard to find, I did not find that the urine kept them away.
Along these lines I have read where cougar pee, will keep away deer, but how do you get a cougar to pee around your yard. What a Face
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/22/2013, 1:25 pm

I planted my seeds in spent MM and now have seedlings everywhere, with most of the true leaves starting to form now. I was wondering, if they seem to slow down at some point due to lack of nutrients in the soil, do you think that very diluted urine would be a good feeding? Has anyone tried this?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 2/22/2013, 1:28 pm

Last year I used very dilute urine on my spinach and basil plants and it worked wonders as they are really heavy nitrogen users.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/22/2013, 3:47 pm

Thanks, J. Did you use it on indoor seedlings? That's what I want to do...watering from the bottom...no pun intended. Shocked

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 2/22/2013, 3:55 pm

no I used it on my plants in the SFG
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieB999 2/23/2013, 8:59 am

Fascinating thread way to go This could also be a life saver in a disaster situation to keep plants alive.
JackieB999
JackieB999

Female Posts : 125

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 2/23/2013, 11:45 am

Mother earth news had an article last year that was actually a study that someone had done comparing 3 liquid fertilizers and human urine won.
I was sold
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/24/2013, 2:48 pm

As I watch my new leafy compost pile melting and sticking up through all the snow that's been thrown at it over the past few weeks, I'm sold, too!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/24/2013, 3:07 pm

GWN wrote:Mother earth news had an article last year that was actually a study that someone had done comparing 3 liquid fertilizers and human urine won.
I was sold

I tried to find the article but the whole 4 pages is only available to subscribers, it only showed page 4 where it said, "Diluted 1:20 urine with water, this would make about 7 gallons of high-nitrogen liquid fertilizer, so a family of four could produce enough high-nitrogen fertilizer for an average garden and lawn."

Making your Own Liquid Fertilizers

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 2/24/2013, 4:24 pm

I tried to find the article but the whole 4 pages is only available to subscribers, it only showed page 4 where it said, "Diluted 1:20 urine with water, this would make about 7 gallons of high-nitrogen liquid fertilizer, so a family of four could produce enough high-nitrogen fertilizer for an average garden and lawn

That is too bad, I will have to try to find the magazine to see if there are any other tidbits
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/24/2013, 4:41 pm

For an example of 1:20, I just measure an ounce per gallon milk container,(128 oz) and add it to compost, it goes a long way over 5 compost heaps.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 2/24/2013, 7:12 pm

llama momma wrote:For an example of 1:20, I just measure an ounce per gallon milk container,(128 oz) and add it to compost, it goes a long way over 5 compost heaps.
I hesitate to speak up because I was way off last time I tried to answer a math problem but 1 ounce in 128 oz would be 1:127. 6 oz in 128 oz would be about 1:21.

Of course it doesn't make that much difference when adding to compost but it would when making a liquid fertilizer that was mentioned above.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/24/2013, 7:30 pm

You're correct. Thank you.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/24/2013, 8:12 pm

Yes Linda is correct, he article was speaking of the 1:20 urine to H2O solution as a direct fertilizer to be used on the garden and lawn. For compost activation, use the urine straight. Be wary it does not begin to smell as a latrine.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  JackieB999 2/24/2013, 9:05 pm

camprn wrote: Be wary it does not begin to smell as a latrine.

Can you clarify please? Very Happy
JackieB999
JackieB999

Female Posts : 125

Back to top Go down

Post  Muckmuck 2/24/2013, 9:41 pm

I "apply" urine undiluted to my comfrey. I don't think the stuff can get to much nitrogen.

Max
Muckmuck
Muckmuck

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 2/24/2013, 9:48 pm

Urine dilution is totally variable. It totally depends on ones hydration. Early morning urine is concentrated. After drinking lots of water, urine is dilute, so how dilute you make the fertilizer is variable. I think they just mean to add some water to the urine.
So to get down to exactly how much to dilute it is sort of......unimportant.
As far as latrine smell, I think it is important that the area being fertilized has some other source of moisture. Even over a long dry summer, having dogs, a yard can get to smelling if there is no water added to wash it down somewhat. study
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Urine: the ultimate 'organic' fertiliser? - Page 3 Empty Diluted Human Urine and Pine Straw - Compost Components

Post  Windmere 2/26/2013, 2:27 pm

Made you look twice didn't I? Well, in my extensive readings of what seems like hundreds of posts (mainly about coconut peat and about compost components), I came across a post that said diluted human urine could be used in compost. I saw so many posts, that I can not remember who recommended this, but I believe it was a moderator discussing options for gardeners in third world countries. Later, I did a search within the forum for "diluted human urine." And I came across three threads.

I doubt I will admit to anyone but close family that I am even thinking of using this "medium" to aid in my compost. I'd like to know though, does anyone know how much is "too much?" Quantity was not mentioned in any of the threads I came across.

Also, my property has plenty of pine trees, so pine straw is a natural choice for me when it comes to building up my compost. I was wondering, is there anything I should do with the pine needles before adding to my compost. Is it possible it might harbor some negative creepy crawlies. Are there other issues I should be cautious about?

Thanks so much for your help. I just received my first UPS shipment of two raised 4x4 beds. My family and I are very excited about our very first garden (of any kind).

Last edited by Windmere on 2/26/2013, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : emoticons did not properly format)
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 2/26/2013, 3:37 pm

Windmere,
I think pine needles have a waxy coating that takes a lot longer to compost. If I recall correctly they are also acidic and can cause problems if you have too much of them. You could possibly burn them and add the ash; not sure if they are still acidic at that point but they would already be broken down. Blueberry bushes like acidic soil so you could always plant some of those and put the pine needles to good use.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 2/27/2013, 2:49 pm

Windmere wrote:I doubt I will admit to anyone but close family that I am even thinking of using this "medium" to aid in my compost. I'd like to know though, does anyone know how much is "too much?" Quantity was not mentioned in any of the threads I came across.

C:N ratio should be 25-30:1(30:1 being closer to the ideal). If you're anything like me and just throw veg scraps/coffee grinds/tea bags on the compost pile and add some carbon(usually shredded paper, sometimes straw from the chickens), then keeping that ratio will be problematic to say the least. I always go by Mother Nature and just assume it will rot sooner or later. If it smells or is too wet, I just add carbon.

So I'd guess that over time, a compost bin filled with paper/wood chips/etc. that gets urine doses every day will eventually hit that ratio. But, as with anything, there will be a point when you have too much of a good thing. Having sources of carbon handy would make experimentation and retaining a balance easier.

Composting is weird though. It can be as easy or as complicated as you want it to be.

C:N ratio list(there are many of them, this is just a sample)
http://www.weblife.org/humanure/chapter3_7.html

Getting in to the details of C:N ratios with equations.
http://compost.css.cornell.edu/calc/cn_ratio.html

Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/27/2013, 4:01 pm

Windmere ,
Rely on your nose ..... if you can smell the heap stop putting it on and just use plain water for a few days to keep the heap damp .

Remember turning the heap if is smells will get the bacteria using the oxygen and this will kill the smell after a couple of days. It will also produce heat to speed up the composing action.

For the ingredients to make of an ideal compost heap look in Mel's ANSFG book second edition ( details on my strap lines ) ... basically anything that has ever grown in the ground or out of it can be used and like Camp has said try and get something like the indicated percentages .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next