Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's Up for April in 5a? Toplef10What's Up for April in 5a? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's Up for April in 5a? I22gcj10What's Up for April in 5a? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's Up for April in 5a? Toplef10What's Up for April in 5a? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's Up for April in 5a? I22gcj10What's Up for April in 5a? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What's Up for April in 5a?

+4
SFG in Chicago
Dietryin
titans01
mckr3441
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What's Up for April in 5a? Empty What's Up for April in 5a?

Post  mckr3441 4/1/2010, 3:36 pm

Since I'm a 5b SFGer I guess I'm not allowed to post here What's Up for April in 5a? Lol . However, I want to get this topic started for you and I hope you will all chime in and be specific. Such as, planted peas; last year's lettuce made a comeback; peas froze!! Temp irradic.

Mine would looks something like this:
"Bought wood for new box today. Turned compost. Cleaned old growth out of last year's pots and replenished soil with a handful of Mel's Mix. Tossed old growth into compost bin to start new pile."

You get the idea. Let's help the local newcomers know where we are with our gardens.

Have fun. Post updates regularly. Thanks. What's Up for April in 5a? Icon_sunny What's Up for April in 5a? Icon_sunny What's Up for April in 5a? Icon_sunny
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

What's Up for April in 5a? Empty Re: What's Up for April in 5a?

Post  titans01 4/1/2010, 11:42 pm

Started my tomato seeds in vermiculite today along with eggplant, parsley, and some lettuce. I'm quickly running out of room under my growing lights. I'm going to try to plant peas and spinach this weekend. Also I might plant some radishes under my cold tunnel. I'm also thinking about hardening off my swiss chard, lettuce, and broccoli rapini and get them planted sometime in the next week in the cold tunnel so I can free up some room under the lights. I'm lost on when to start my potatoes too. Some people around here claim to plant them now or within the next 2 weeks but we are just about 6 weeks away from the frost date and most of what I've read says 2-3 weeks before frost.
titans01

Male Posts : 122

http://goodgameme.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 4/6/2010, 9:56 am

Tony, you look so lonely here What's Up for April in 5a? Icon_cry . I'm so surprised there aren't more folks from Zone 5a. Hellooo. Where are you 5a-ers? We're waiting for you...

Bonnie and Erica should be checking in here soon with their April doins.

Keep us posted, Tony. What's Up for April in 5a? Icon_smile
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Dietryin 4/8/2010, 12:49 am

Hi, This will be my first year gardening. I am new to everything! I have spent the last 2 months pouring over books and decided to give SqFG a try. So this last week Hubby and I have started getting everything in order. Hubby built our first boxes out of some wood we had, 8 - 4x8. We filled them with Mel's mix on 4/5, it has rained every day since. It snowing tonight 4/7, but will be nice this weekend.
Plans for this weekend:
Built supports for veg tables, and make grids for boxes.
Built a compost box
Start seeds
plant some cold crops
Dietryin

Female Posts : 134

Back to top Go down

Post  Dietryin 4/8/2010, 12:54 am

Hi titans01,

titans01 wrote: I'm lost on when to start my potatoes too. Some people around here claim to plant them now or within the next 2 weeks but we are just about 6 weeks away from the frost date and most of what I've read says 2-3 weeks before frost.

Have you decided when your planting your potatoes?
Dietryin

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 4/8/2010, 9:43 am

Welcome Dietryn to the Northern and Central Midwest Regional ForumWhat's Up for April in 5a? 61949

I think you have made a good choice to go with SFG. The Forums on this site offer a wealth of information, pictures and help. We have some pretty knowledgeable contributors and the local forums include lots of climate-specific help. Ask questions. Post pictures.

I wish I had discovered SFG years ago, but alas... I sure am glad I'm doing it now though. It's never too late to learn new tricks!

Happy gardening!
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  titans01 4/8/2010, 9:51 am

Dietryin,

I think I'm going to plant my potatoes around the 15th of this month if the 10 day forecast at that time looks decent.

I managed to plant spinach, beets, peas, radishes, and carrots last weekend. I also transplanted some lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, kale, parsley and kohlrabi. Most of these are under my cold tunnel. We had frost last night but I'm hoping the cold tunnel protected the transplants.

I still need to get my broccoli rapini and lettuce hardened off and moved out to the beds sometime in the next week or so. I'd also like to get some cauliflower planted as well.

So if I'm reading it right you made 8 boxes that are 4x8? Sounds like you are a little like me and instead of just starting slow you jump right in full bore. That should grow a lot of veggies. Do you have a large family or are you planning on canning/freezing a bunch?

Let me know how the planting goes this weekend too.
titans01

Back to top Go down

Post  Dietryin 4/8/2010, 12:08 pm

titans01 wrote:Dietryin,

So if I'm reading it right you made 8 boxes that are 4x8? Sounds like you are a little like me and instead of just starting slow you jump right in full bore. That should grow a lot of veggies. Do you have a large family or are you planning on canning/freezing a bunch?

I have a large family, 8 children. 7 still live at home. We also try to eat 50% of our diet in raw fruit & vegetables. We spend about $50.00 a week in produce. The total would be even higher if I bought organic. I have even bigger plans for next year. My plan is to spend the summer getting more beds ready for next spring to plant berries,and some fruit trees.
Dietryin

Back to top Go down

Post  titans01 4/8/2010, 12:48 pm

Wow that's great. I would love to see some pictures if you have them too.
titans01

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago 4/8/2010, 6:46 pm

mckr3441 wrote:Tony, you look so lonely here What's Up for April in 5a? Icon_cry . I'm so surprised there aren't more folks from Zone 5a. Hellooo. Where are you 5a-ers? We're waiting for you...

My problem is I don't know which thread to post on, I don't know if I'm 5a, 5b, or even 6. (6 is wishful thinking, probably.) None of the zone maps I can find will let me zoom in enough to see exactly where I am on the map. There is a little pocket of warmer near Chicago, but I can't tell if I'm in it. The sites where you put your zip to find your zone just tell me I'm zone 5-6! It doesn't help that I'm new here and lived my whole life in zone 10! Big change. What's Up for April in 5a? Icon_eek
SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

Post  titans01 4/8/2010, 8:16 pm

Here is the site I used to determine my zone: http://www.garden.org/zipzone/ It actually spits out which zone you are rather than just a map.

SFG in Chicago wrote:
mckr3441 wrote:Tony, you look so lonely here What's Up for April in 5a? Icon_cry . I'm so surprised there aren't more folks from Zone 5a. Hellooo. Where are you 5a-ers? We're waiting for you...

My problem is I don't know which thread to post on, I don't know if I'm 5a, 5b, or even 6. (6 is wishful thinking, probably.) None of the zone maps I can find will let me zoom in enough to see exactly where I am on the map. There is a little pocket of warmer near Chicago, but I can't tell if I'm in it. The sites where you put your zip to find your zone just tell me I'm zone 5-6! It doesn't help that I'm new here and lived my whole life in zone 10! Big change. What's Up for April in 5a? Icon_eek
titans01

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago 4/8/2010, 8:23 pm

Yeah that one says 5a but others tell me different. Oh well I might be on the borderline.
SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Dietryin 4/19/2010, 1:40 am

Had 5 beds built and filled, BUT; then decided to move them because we felt they were getting to much shade on them. We end up moving the beds closer to the house and added 4 more beds. The plan now is to start planting this week. Since it to late for seeds I guess I'll have to go to the nursery and buy some plants
Dietryin

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 4/19/2010, 10:45 am

SFG in Chicago wrote:Yeah that one says 5a but others tell me different. Oh well I might be on the borderline.

Hi SFG in Chicago

Sounds like your "close enough" to just make a decision on what you are experiencing in your own yard. If you plant a couple of seeds and things don't work out there's still plenty of time to plant more.

You might try to find a garden store near you and ask them about your specific location. I'm not sure HD or WalMart would know but a professional garden store might.

I'm in 5b surrounded by 5a but nowhere near 6anything What's Up for April in 5a? Icon_smile . Also you could put a "tent" over your boxes or floating row covers.

Keep us posted.

Claire
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  titans01 4/19/2010, 2:58 pm

Dietryin wrote:Had 5 beds built and filled, BUT; then decided to move them because we felt they were getting to much shade on them. We end up moving the beds closer to the house and added 4 more beds. The plan now is to start planting this week. Since it to late for seeds I guess I'll have to go to the nursery and buy some plants
I had to go to the nursery for most of my broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower as well. I also picked up some lettuce there and it's getting close to being ready to start harvesting. Let us know what you plant and how it goes.
titans01

Back to top Go down

Post  Dietryin 4/20/2010, 10:42 pm

I went to the nursery and bought - broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower, brussels sprouts, onions, and strawberries (June Berry). Planted half today and plan on planting the other half Wed.

What's Up for April in 5a? Icon_bounce I wanted to do more today but the neighbor was tilling his garden and the smell (gas fumes) were making me sick. My garden is at least an acre away from his garden.
Dietryin

Back to top Go down

Post  etimmer 4/21/2010, 9:29 am

Was on vacation last week and spent a lot of time in the garden and away form the computer... What's Up for April in 5a? Icon_biggrin So far I've planted lettuces, spinach, sugar snap peas, radishes, carrots, turnips, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts. We also put a 3 X 3 tiered bed for strawberries and I got those planted last week.
etimmer
etimmer

Female Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  Judge Kemp 4/25/2010, 12:03 am

Just added a few more broccoli plants, snap pea starts from when I placed some seed in paper towels last Wednesday to test germination (then forgot them promptly until today), a cabbage plant, some more lettuce and another grid of snap peas.

So far, about 75% of the boxes I planted back on the 14th of April are germinating and they were all trimmed (thinned out) today. Everything looks good.

Can't wait to take the day off Monday and build/mix my third 4x4. I'll also put up my metal conduit frames and nylon mesh. Sweet Corn will be going into one of my "legacy" raised beds and the third 4x4 will be filled with summer crops soon. I'll be putting my zucchini around the back of my house in the ground.

After that, most of the "heavy-lifting" will be done for me. I'll then set up my compost bin and start that project.
Judge Kemp

Male Posts : 77

Back to top Go down

Post  nidiyao 4/25/2010, 6:18 am

Some of my broccoli plants have little tiny "broccolis" on them! It's really been warm here. The weatherman said we've had 5 days of 80 or above this year (Indianapolis).
nidiyao
nidiyao

Female Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  L&K-IL 4/25/2010, 9:39 am

I feel like I'm a little behind.
Seeds started 3 weeks ago. Nothing transplanted yet.

37 degrees on Tuesday for a low is a bit of a concern.

But I'm tempted to get the broccoli, swiss chard, carrots, arugula and spinach outside.

hmmm.....
thinking
L&K-IL

Male Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Post  Judge Kemp 4/25/2010, 10:46 pm

L&K-IL wrote:I feel like I'm a little behind.
Seeds started 3 weeks ago. Nothing transplanted yet.

37 degrees on Tuesday for a low is a bit of a concern.

But I'm tempted to get the broccoli, swiss chard, carrots, arugula and spinach outside.

hmmm.....
thinking

I was afraid I was behind too, and you beat me!

I didn't get a single seed in until April 14, and most of my beds weren't filled out until the 20th.

I bet we'll all be fine and be eating like kings in a month or two. What's Up for April in 5a? Icon_biggrin
Judge Kemp

Back to top Go down

What's Up for April in 5a? Empty Garden-Update April 24th

Post  Dietryin 4/26/2010, 1:52 pm

Red, Butter-crunch, and Red Romain lettuces
Onions - Red, yellow, white and a sq of green onions.
Spinach, Radish, Sweet Peas flowers.
Started seeds: Columbine, Geranium, Peppers, Black-Eye Susan.
Set out potato sets for sprouting.

I feel like all my planning this winter is coming together. If I have planed right. The next few weeks should be easy. I'll start a few seeds and wait for our last frost date of the May 16th.
Dietryin

Back to top Go down

Post  Judge Kemp 4/28/2010, 9:17 pm

Well, I had my first victim of friendly fire tonight when trimming out the seedling sprouts.

I thought I'd check on things after soccer practice and noticed a few sprouts that had come up since yesterday when I went to work with the scissors. With no scissors and not wanting to tear up roots, I got down to "pinching."

Apparently I'm not as nimble as I thought, as I ended up taking out one of my "keepers" in my trimming chores. It is kind of funny how bummed you can get over losing a 2" plant. I guess I just think about that bare spot as the garden comes in, and all the good lettuce it would have produced.

I think I'll replant a seed there tomorrow.
Judge Kemp

Back to top Go down

Post  titans01 4/29/2010, 9:18 am

I had the same problem with my Pak Choy last night Judge and I was using scissors. I must of nicked it. I'm sure it's not the last one I will accidentally kill before I'm done. What's Up for April in 5a? Icon_biggrin
titans01

Back to top Go down

What's Up for April in 5a? Empty Help - Strawberries - White Powder Mold/treatment

Post  Dietryin 5/1/2010, 10:03 am

I went out this morning to check on the garden and my strawberries plants are moldy! I did an web search for photos and I believe they have white powder mold growing on them. Some sites said to spray the plants with a baking soda mixture.
What do you all think? Any suggestions? What's Up for April in 5a? Icon_cry

Baking Soda Mixture:

To make: Mix 1 tablespoon baking soda, 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil with one gallon of water. Shake this up very thoroughly. To this mix add 1/2 teaspoon of pure Castile soap and spray. Be sure to agitate your sprayer while you work to keep the ingredients from separating. Cover upper and lower leaf surfaces and
spray some on the soil. Repeat every 5-7 days as needed.

The above recipe calls for pure Castile soap, which I do not have.....can I just use liq dish soap?
Dietryin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next