Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - Potato Growing Methods - Page 7 Toplef10Potatoes - Potato Growing Methods - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - Potato Growing Methods - Page 7 I22gcj10Potatoes - Potato Growing Methods - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - Potato Growing Methods - Page 7 Toplef10Potatoes - Potato Growing Methods - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - Potato Growing Methods - Page 7 I22gcj10Potatoes - Potato Growing Methods - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Potato Growing Methods

+56
No_Such_Reality
larry
yolos
smalltownfan
ericam
efirvin
kbb964
Nonna.PapaVino
philct
WolfHeart
Hoggar
AvaDGardner
CarolinaGirl
tnmom66
Pink-Gardener
lisaphoto
martha
boffer
moswell
Turan
Too Tall Tomatoes
curio
fjayco2l
Furbalsmom
Roseinarosecity
HieronRemade
MCard
arla
obrdrln
littlejo
EatYourVeggies
plantoid
Chopper
quiltbea
GWN
Lavender Debs
fiddleman
camprn
januaryX
Ha-v-v
ashort
LittleGardener
Goosegirl
tomperrin
1airdoc
CarolynPhillips
FamilyGardening
NorthWoodsFever
Glendale-gardener
HillbillyBob
littlesapphire
staf74
BackyardBirdGardner
walshevak
RoOsTeR
llama momma
60 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Potatoes - Potato Growing Methods - Page 7 Empty Seven foot high potato plants!!

Post  tomperrin 6/24/2012, 8:09 pm

plantoid wrote:Wheeeeee !

The potatoes in the glass house have finally produced flowers this afternoon .. the plants are over seven feet tall and are grown in almost a yard depth of MM .

That's freaky awesome!

Tom
tomperrin
tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - Potato Growing Methods - Page 7 Empty Re: Potato Growing Methods

Post  llama momma 6/24/2012, 8:14 pm

... potatoes in the glass house have finally produced... the plants are over seven feet tall and are grown in almost a yard depth of MM

I think that qualifies as Big Stuff and a photo belongs in the Big Stuff Gallery! Your taters will be the size of volleyballs?
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  philct 6/24/2012, 8:58 pm

Potatoes - Potato Growing Methods - Page 7 Photo910Potatoes - Potato Growing Methods - Page 7 Photo110

I would say so far the whiskey barrel is working better than I thought. We'll see what I dig up in the fall!!!
philct
philct

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/25/2012, 6:17 am

Looking good and healthy philct!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 6/25/2012, 12:57 pm

I began with five-gallon containers, and the potato plants quickly grew out of them, so I popped those containers in some 20-gallon trash cans. The plants still look good - I guess I just need to wait for flowers.

So explain this to me please: the potato plant just grows up without little potatoes until it flowers. Then when it flowers it starts growing potatoes? Where along the stem do the potatoes grow if this is the case? Or wait, they're tubers, so they grow from roots, right? So, the plant produces more roots along the stem as you cover it with soil, all the way to the top of the soil?
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/25/2012, 4:08 pm

LlamaMomma here - I'll repeat what I've heard on the forum, it's accuracy hopefully is sound, and Surely someone else will come along if I'm wrong.

moswell wrote:I began with five-gallon containers, and the potato plants quickly grew out of them, so I popped those containers in some 20-gallon trash cans. The plants still look good - I guess I just need to wait for flowers.

So explain this to me please: the potato plant just grows up without little potatoes until it flowers.
LM - Yes and no, not all varieties will flower in order to form potatoes. Then when it flowers it starts growing potatoes? Where along the stem do the potatoes grow if this is the case? Or wait, they're tubers, so they grow from roots, right? So, the plant produces more roots along the stem as you cover it with soil, all the way to the top of the soil?
LM - Early potatoes form along the root, from the bottom and upto about 6 inches. Middle and late variety potatoes form all the way up. Someone please confirm or correct me please.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/25/2012, 4:13 pm

Llama Momma said: "Early potatoes form along the root, from the bottom and upto about 6 inches. Middle and late variety potatoes form all the way up. Someone please confirm or correct me please."

I agree, but would put it this way: Middle and late variety potatoes form roots all up the soil- or hay-covered stem, which will form more potatoes.

Anyone else?
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 6/25/2012, 4:27 pm

While seed potatoes are stored in a cool dry dark place they produce main shoots. When the seed potatoes are planted the main roots (shoots) grow vertically towards the soil surface. As they grow, stolons, secondary roots, sprout from the main shoots and grow outwards and sometimes outwards and upwards, and potatoes form at the end of these stolons. Smaller hair-like roots also grow from the stolons and from the growing tubers.

When the main roots each the soil surface they undergo a change and convert into a shaws. The shaws produce leaves instead of stolons. From our experiments we conclude that once this conversion from main root to shaw has occurred, it is irreversible. Once it has occurred, even if the shaw is earthed up, it will produce no further stolons and so no further potatoes. So the best results are achieved by earthing up as soon as possible. The problem with this, in normal circumstances, is that the plant is then unable to get energy and so is unable to grow strongly – it remains dependent on the energy stored within the seed potato and this is limited.
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/25/2012, 5:23 pm

Holy Cow! That is The Most detailed explanation I have ever heard on this forum!! Thank you very kindly, LM
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 6/25/2012, 5:24 pm

copy pasted lol
kbb964
kbb964

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/25/2012, 5:50 pm

Thank you, kbb, you've taught me something valuable. And, I'm here to tell y'all, them stolons can travel a surprisingly long way before forming a potato. This afternoon, and I was patrolling the perimeter of the garden, a clump of unwanted grasses caught my eye. I grabbed it, pulled, got the whole root ball...and a baby potato in the middle of it! Had to be 2 feet from the nearest potato plant. It had grown through the remains of the hay bale surrounding the potato patch, under the fence and into the middle of the grass.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/25/2012, 6:00 pm

Competition potato growers use well manured straw beds fed by all sorts of secret recipes and kept warm & watered at ideal conditions . These beds are usually many feet across and around four feet deep .

From only one tuber they aim to hit half a ton of potatoes to be anywhere near being champion growers in their comps .

Check out the Guiness book of records for the big winners.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 6/25/2012, 6:02 pm

WOW
kbb964
kbb964

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 6/25/2012, 6:05 pm

OMG, plantoid, now I can't wait to harvest from the old bale bed. It gave us some wonderful squashes last year, then I planted it with two kinds of potatoes this year: Rose Finn and Chieftan. It's the Rose Finn that began flowering early, and is obviously making potatoes, inside and outside the garden!
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin 6/25/2012, 8:13 pm

The potatoes in the glass house have finally produced flowers this afternoon .. the plants are over seven feet tall and are grown in almost a yard depth of MM .

When is the comp closing and judging begins ?

7 feet tall?! Ok, I won't worry about having plants 2 feet tall. Very Happy I'm just hoping there is a lot of potatoes growing underneath my plants! I have 16" raised beds. My potatoes are in a 4'x4'. 8 squares of Norland reds and 4 of Yukon golds. I planted them early April. I haven't seen any flowers or potato fruits yet. Hoping soon!

Evelyn in zone 4 Wyoming
efirvin
efirvin

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/26/2012, 8:33 am

efirvin wrote:

7 feet tall?! Ok, I won't worry about having plants 2 feet tall. Very Happy I'm just hoping there is a lot of potatoes growing underneath my plants! I have 16" raised beds. My potatoes are in a 4'x4'. 8 squares of Norland reds and 4 of Yukon golds. I planted them early April. I haven't seen any flowers or potato fruits yet. Hoping soon!

Evelyn in zone 4 Wyoming

Evelyn - I am in zone 4 in SD, planted my Norlands and Yukon Golds in mid April and have no blossoms yet either. But they should be appearing any day! We are currently in a hot spell, going to be 90's and humid for a few days. Should give them a growth spurt if they don't wilt away!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin 6/26/2012, 2:54 pm

Goosegirl wrote:
efirvin wrote:

Evelyn in zone 4 Wyoming

Evelyn - I am in zone 4 in SD, planted my Norlands and Yukon Golds in mid April and have no blossoms yet either. But they should be appearing any day! We are currently in a hot spell, going to be 90's and humid for a few days. Should give them a growth spurt if they don't wilt away!

GG

Whew! Good to know. Thanks GG! I will keep looking for those flowers.

Yes it has been hot here too! Staying in AC as much as possible.

Evelyn
efirvin
efirvin

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/13/2012, 12:37 pm

Partial potato production of Yukon Golds planted on 4-19 in Mel's Mix in a sf box, 9 inches deep. (settled from 12 inches)
Today on 7-13 I pulled two of the four plants in one square. Total weight exactly 3 pounds (twice added up on a weight watcher scale). If the other 2 plants in the the square do just as well, then Yukon Gold can produce 6 pounds per square foot. The largest was 9 oz. and the average was 5-6 oz. taters. Here is a pic of the first 2 plants results:
Potatoes - Potato Growing Methods - Page 7 7-13-111
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin 7/13/2012, 4:50 pm

llama momma wrote:Partial potato production of Yukon Golds planted on 4-19 in Mel's Mix in a sf box, 9 inches deep. (settled from 12 inches)
Today on 7-13 I pulled two of the four plants in one square. Total weight exactly 3 pounds (twice added up on a weight watcher scale). If the other 2 plants in the the square do just as well, then Yukon Gold can produce 6 pounds per square foot. The largest was 9 oz. and the average was 5-6 oz. taters. Here is a pic of the first 2 plants results:
Potatoes - Potato Growing Methods - Page 7 7-13-111
Yummy! Digging for potatoes is like digging for gold!

My potato plants still have no flowers! What is going on? I just hope I get something from all those squares of potatoes!
efirvin
efirvin

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/13/2012, 5:57 pm

I hope you do too!
Y'know I kept waiting for flowers that didn't really happen. Last year when I grew red taters there were all kinds of flowers but it was loaded with potato beetles too, were the beetles drawn to the flowers? I wonder because this year in contrast with no flowers, there were no potato beetles. Hmm, inspected the plants every single day too. Though I did find a huge hornworm, a greenish mexican bean beetle I think, and a japanese beetle.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin 7/14/2012, 4:48 pm

llama momma wrote:I hope you do too!
Y'know I kept waiting for flowers that didn't really happen. Last year when I grew red taters there were all kinds of flowers but it was loaded with potato beetles too, were the beetles drawn to the flowers? I wonder because this year in contrast with no flowers, there were no potato beetles. Hmm, inspected the plants every single day too. Though I did find a huge hornworm, a greenish mexican bean beetle I think, and a japanese beetle.

Yuck! Worms gross me out!
So you are getting potatoes without having had any flowers on them? Hope thats happening for me too! I was thinking of just leaving the potato squares alone until the plants started to die off in hopes there would be something to harvest.
You give me hope!! Very Happy
Evelyn from zone 4 Wyoming
efirvin
efirvin

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/14/2012, 6:33 pm

I just harvested my Yukon Golds this morning. From the pitiful handful of marbles left over from last year's crop that sprouted in the dark of the forgotten veggie drawer I harvested approx. 5 lbs of Goldies! Not bad for $0 output!

GG - having organic spuds for supper tonight!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/15/2012, 12:26 am

efirvin wrote:
llama momma wrote:I hope you do too!

Yuck! Worms gross me out!
So you are getting potatoes without having had any flowers on them? Hope thats happening for me too! I was thinking of just leaving the potato squares alone until the plants started to die off in hopes there would be something to harvest.
You give me hope!! Very Happy
Evelyn from zone 4 Wyoming

Efirvin -
Worms gross you out? Last year I jumped when I saw my first hornworm - as large as my pinky finger. Gave me chills to look at it. Now that I see how slow they move and how damaging they are, I get them to crawl off the branch onto a stick and I put them in the bird feeder and let nature take over.
Re: potato flowers, I think you will be fine!
I recall reading that some plants put out flowers and others don't. I wouldn't worry about flowering. Dying plants are your clue that things are going well ! The leaves on my Yukon Gold turned brown and yellow and the stems fell over. Soon it was time to harvest happy dance
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/15/2012, 2:15 am

Potatoes - Potato Growing Methods - Page 7 Dscn0931

Here are my son's volunteer potatos in late June. They came up in the MM and compost left from last year. One of those bins doesn't even have holes in it for drainage as I just dumped the soil from another bin into it. I told him today to start harvesting. I pulled one egg sized and one key lime sized blue potato after taking the picture. He sliced up and fried them. Said they were tasty.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/15/2012, 7:06 pm

Ya gotta love volunteers!