Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 Toplef10whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 I22gcj10whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 Toplef10whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 I22gcj10whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What's in a name?

+85
brenda g
givvmistamps
Too Tall Tomatoes
ericam
plantoid
WolfHeart
curio
EatYourVeggies
LaborDay RN
Goosegirl
Windsor.Parker
minervalong
ksbmom
CaptainKidney
JK
RoOsTeR
llama momma
januaryX
claramaybe
boog1
cachecrashers4
sherryeo
jazzymaddy
Nonna.PapaVino
elliephant
The Cat's Other Mother
CindiLou
madnicmom
Old Hippie
cautery
jumiclads
Furbalsmom
extremesoccermom
jinx
ander217
Nurse Grams
valientor
Little Thumb
ralitaco
Dunkinjean
aspiegardner
middlemamma
kiwirose
cherriesjubilee
Dietryin
Selandra
carolintexas
GloriaG
shocks20
Garden_State
Chopper
PB
Ha-v-v
Gilligan
sbeach
Odd Duck
graficow
Momma Pajama
LaFee
dixie
Shoda
mckr3441
junequilt
bpbdrummer
pattipan
jerzyjen
eerwah
bullfrogbabe
WardinWake
jjphoto
scoobe
OahuSFG
chexmix
choksaw
Wyldflower
swripley
Jeff Buffington
Retired Member 1
lisaphoto
nidiyao
camprn
happyfrog
boffer
kimbies
Kabaju42
89 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's in a name?

Post  Nurse Grams 6/2/2010, 4:36 pm

Just found this message thread today. Yes, I read through all 5 of the previous pages and enjoyed it very much.

For years and years my online screen name was tied to Sailing, even lived aboard a 36 foot sailboat for a decade. Then my husband decided to divorce me (I was traded in for a younger version) He got the boat and I got to be closer to my family than ever before.

Decided I'd not tie my ID to something that could be taken away again, so I chose Nurse Grams. I'm a Nurse and my Grandkids call me Grams... two things that (God willing) are permanent.
Nurse Grams
Nurse Grams

Female Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 Empty User name

Post  ander217 6/2/2010, 9:57 pm

My name is LeAnn. You kind of had to be there to understand how I got my user name, but I'll explain as best I can.

Back in the Dark Ages when I went to college I took my old stuffed panda bear with me. One of my friends named it LeAnder's Pander. She was calling to me one day and couldn't get my attention. She finally shouted, "LeAnder Pander Salamacmander!" My husband-to-be overheard her and started laughing. He then started calling me his LeAnders, which eventually became Anders, and then shortened to Ander by the time we were married. 2-17 is my birthday.

BTW, 35 years of marriage later all my Valentines from my sweetie still begin with, "To My Ander". Ahhh. whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 Herz
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 Empty RE: Whats in a name

Post  jinx 6/9/2010, 3:09 pm

Fun stuff people, I love it!

Normally jinx is always taken in forums. But I was registering the first day they put this new forum up and finally got it for myself. I am a jinx. I believe that I just have a very heighten since of intuition, but my family and friends say other wise. I knock on a lot of wood but some times I just can't stop what is to be...

whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 Icon_jokercolor
jinx
jinx

Female Posts : 99

Back to top Go down

Post  extremesoccermom 6/9/2010, 4:13 pm

MY name is not hard to figure out. I tried to get my children to play all kinds of sports but neither one cared for anything other than soccer. DS (now 20) was even on 4 teams for a while. DD15 recently decided to play Special Olympic basketball and track but soccer is her love. Thus I became extremesoccermom since the first board I joined soccermom was already taken and I did not want to just add random #. Now I am extreme on all my boards and emails and everything.
extremesoccermom

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 12/6/2010, 11:06 am

Boffer, Thanks for resurrecting this thread. So much fun to read.

Furball was the name of the cat that chose to stay with us for 14 years before going to his reward in that big litter box in the sky.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 12/6/2010, 12:19 pm

This was so incredibly neat to go back and read all this again - i clean forgot most of the names 'meanings' so this was rather fun to refresh my memory.
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 12/6/2010, 12:41 pm

happyfrog wrote:This was so incredibly neat to go back and read all this again - i clean forgot most of the names 'meanings' so this was rather fun to refresh my memory.

Just what I was thinking! It really is interesting finding out how people indentify themselves. Our "real" names are given to us before anyone knows what we're really like. What we choose for ourselves is sometimes so much more interesting! And sometimes so much more revealing!
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 Empty Where does Jumiclads come from

Post  jumiclads 2/7/2011, 12:45 pm

I was asked the other day by Boffer where my nickname came from and I thought I would share the answer for all (Boffers idea also, but a good one. He is full of them).

It's an easy one really. It comes from the first 2 letters of each of all our families first names.

Julie, Mick, Claire & Adam and the s is just cos there are 4 of us.

jumiclads
jumiclads

Male Posts : 167

Back to top Go down

whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 Empty I'm an "old fart"...

Post  cautery 2/7/2011, 12:53 pm

I've been a "computer geek" for a lot of years... Back when it came time for me to get a "logon", the standard (UNIX et al.) was to use your first initial and last name... and it had to be lowercase (big rule!).

And since I am resistant to change, I still use it... Smile
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 2/7/2011, 2:36 pm

Old Hippie........what is there to explain.....back in the 60''s and 70's my DH and I were hippies. Maybe one of these days I should post a couple of pics to show you. LOL! But we were into making our own shopping bags out of old blue jeans, home births, folk festivals, Woodstock, solar heating, recycling, living in buses, the whole kit & kaboodle. I laugh at how so much of what we did back then made people just shake their heads and laugh at us and say "crazy hippies!" Now it is all so trendy.

So now, here I am, turning 60 in a month.......so I am getting old but still a hippie at heart.

And an aside to Jumiclads..........you say there are four of you in your family but I see five in your picture. Does the little guy not have a name yet?

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 2/7/2011, 3:10 pm

The little guy is Tyrese, he is just over 1 year old. His mum and dad are standing behind us in the photo. Adam who is the last part of Jumiclads was not in this photo and its the only one that turned out any good.
jumiclads
jumiclads

Male Posts : 167

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 2/7/2011, 4:59 pm

madnicmom has been my ebay username for many years. I just stuck with it. Nothing exciting
mad = Madision
nic = Nick ( nicholas)
mom= my role.

I actually remarried and had Christopher (xmas 2007) but can't part with my computer name.

Love this thread.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 2/7/2011, 7:29 pm

Just read this entire thread........Boffer you crack me up!! LOLOL!

Gwynn whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 656620
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 2/7/2011, 8:34 pm

Well first I went by glittermomma on the forum... This was a name given to me on yahoo chat years ago... I love glittery butterfly jewelry. I wanted the name flutterby but it was taken..so the kids did glitterby. Gradually it was changed to glittermomma by all the younger ones I chatted with (all my kids were in their 20's so I knew a lot of younger chatters)
In the last year my grandmother and an aunt that was like a sister pasted away. I think I am reverting to childhood and wanted to use a name I HATED then! CindiLou is actually short for Cynthia Lou (the family called my CinderLoosy...grrrrr...) I had THAT changed years ago!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cat's Other Mother 2/7/2011, 11:15 pm

I was trying to come up with a user name for gmail, and I had just discovered the weird expression 'She's the cat's mother', which stuck in my head. That was taken already, but since I am a pet sitter by profession, I am the Other Mother! 🐱
The Cat's Other Mother

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 2/8/2011, 11:08 am

My husband and I met online. His online name included "bear." The day we met in person he gave me a teddy bear, which I named Jeb (his initials). I soon after gave him an elephant, because that had always been my favorite animal. He named her Ellie. When we were first trying to start a family I joined a TTC website and created the name elliephant. I've used it ever since. Our first daughter is named Elizabeth, so somewhat close to Ellie. Our son is named after his father and we call him Jeb. My name is Christie, btw, but I'm often called Ellie on forums and answer to it.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 5/3/2011, 8:09 pm

Thought I would revive this old thread. There were some interesting stories on here about how people came to use the nickname they have on the forum. We have so many new members with interesting names that it would be fun to find out how they came by their name. Also they might find this an interesting and fun read.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 Empty What's in a name

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/3/2011, 8:21 pm

Okay, I'm quite new to the forum, so I'll chip in. When my younger son and his wife announced they were pregnant, the family conversation turned to, "What do we call you?" My mom is "Granny"; other grandmothers and great-grandmothers in the extended and blended family are Grandma, and G.G. (for great grandma). We wanted to differentiate names, so I said, "Just call me Nonna--that's Italian for grandma." Someone then said, "What do we call Jim." At that time, my wine collector husband had his nose in his glass inhaling the fragrence of the wine, so son Chris, with a sneaky smirk on his face, said, "PapaVino." The name stuck, except for the brief time when my youngest grandson called him PapaBeano.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 5/3/2011, 9:26 pm

So funny to see this thread - I have been thinking of starting this very same thing for the last little while. Just didn't get around to it. Looks like I don't need to.

Well, my maiden name is Madsen, and when I was a missionary for my church, and went by Sister Madsen, the other missionaries started calling me Maddy. I really liked that, and later, my hubby and I even considered naming our first daughter Madeline, and calling her Maddy, but it was too popular by the time she came along.

The Jazzy part comes from jazz music. I'm a musician - classical/opera singer by training, but I sing all kinds of stuff, and I also play the piano and flute. When I was in junior high and high school, I played piano in the jazz band, and fell in love with jazz music. There's not much cooler to me than listening to live jazz.

And my picture is the top of the LDS conference center in Salt Lake - a photo that my sister's wedding photographer took. And I just think it's really pretty, and represents something in my life that I love.
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 Empty What's in a name?

Post  sherryeo 5/3/2011, 9:45 pm

I'm afraid I don't have a really interesting, creative story about my "screen name" since it is actually my real name. Not being familiar with how forums work, I though you probably had to use your real name for "user name" upon signing up. I wish now that I hadn't just for security reasons - not that I distrust any of our forum posters, but you never know who might drift in and "lurk." It's the only thing you can't change under your profile, though - at least not that I've been able to figure out. I'm not very imaginative with screen names, so probably would've just used "sherryo" if I had it to do over again.
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 5/3/2011, 10:11 pm

Sherry if you PM me the user name you would like I will change it for you.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  cachecrashers4 5/3/2011, 10:36 pm

My screen name comes from one of my other hobbies - geocaching. My son chose our team name when we started caching, but has since come up with his own handle. So if any of you have a cache of compost you want me to find, just post the coordinates. Smile
cachecrashers4
cachecrashers4

Male Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 5/4/2011, 8:44 pm

boog short fer BOOGER nough said whats in a name - What's in a name? - Page 4 410210
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post  claramaybe 5/4/2011, 9:35 pm

My name is Clara May and my last initial is B. Claramaybe.

Kabaju I love that you used 42. I loved those books!
claramaybe
claramaybe

Back to top Go down

Post  januaryX 2/7/2012, 10:10 pm

The day I joined!
januaryX
januaryX

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum