Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Purchased worms vs. Native wigglers Toplef10Purchased worms vs. Native wigglers 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Purchased worms vs. Native wigglers I22gcj10Purchased worms vs. Native wigglers 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Purchased worms vs. Native wigglers Toplef10Purchased worms vs. Native wigglers 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Purchased worms vs. Native wigglers I22gcj10Purchased worms vs. Native wigglers 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Purchased worms vs. Native wigglers

5 posters

Go down

Purchased worms vs. Native wigglers Empty Purchased worms vs. Native wigglers

Post  llama momma 12/22/2011, 5:39 am

Thought I read every worm post that was posted.
Not sure if my thinking is correct here --- Did I miss something?

I have native worms either originating from below the boxes once covered in cardboard, or above from added homemade compost. I am thinking of adding worm tubes at opposite ends of the boxes in very early spring and let nature figure out what kind of worms want to live in the boxes. Have them travel between tubes for food and deposit their casts. Not so sure I am sold on buying worms when I got native ones already making a home here. If they migrate below Mel's Mix during winter thats fine I am finished w/gardening anyway. Any thoughts?

Last edited by llama momma on 12/22/2011, 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Purchased worms vs. Native wigglers Empty Re: Purchased worms vs. Native wigglers

Post  janezee 12/22/2011, 6:06 am

I'm with you. That's exactly what I'm planning, too. I always run into worms in my garden, and I want to keep them happy and present.

j
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Purchased worms vs. Native wigglers Empty Re: Purchased worms vs. Native wigglers

Post  Unmutual 12/22/2011, 6:07 am

The regular earthworm, as far as I know, doesn't really like to live in garbage. While they do have to eat, a moist, garbage-full environment isn't what they like. The worm you're looking to get to turn your kitchen scraps, newspaper and cardboard into worm castings are red wigglers(Eisenia fetida).

Here is something about vermicomposting from New Mexico's Extension office. It explains the different kinds of worms you can use in vermicomposting.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 12/22/2011, 6:36 am

Beuna is a member here that wrote directions for a 'worm cafe' at instructable.com, (and won a first prize for it). This is a comment from someone who tried it:

"I use nightcrawlers from the sporting goods store. Having them, Is like having your own herd of pigs, That devour everything in site. I put everything from dead waste, To still living weeds in there, That have gone to seed, And they leave nothing behind. I built two of these composters, And placed them in pure sand, Now after One summer of operation, I have sand with a small layer of black dirt on top of it, About 1/4 in thick, And my grass has turned from brown, To a dark green color. Yes I put them in the yard too. My gardening area was a mish mash of grey looking sandy soil, But now the area with the composter has a complete layer of black dirt on it, And the soil under that is about one third black now, with a lot of grey still in it. The big question is, Will it create a hotspot of nurtients? The answer is... yes it will. But the hotspot is huge, In my garden I can clearly define the area of travel that my worms use, And its a circle of 25 feet in diameter. Around the edges, The black dirt is thin enough that i cant measure it. But in the center, next to the composter, Its as deep as six inches or more, but only because thats how deep i planted the composter. So will it work?....Absolutely! This is the best use of a composter that I have ever seen, Not only did it cure my garden and lawn problems, But I can move them after a month or two to a new location, And the hole it leaves behind, Is already full of high grade compost, So the lawn actually repaired itself in just a couple weeks. Once again, This is a great idea, Good job."

Convinced me.
janezee
janezee

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 12/22/2011, 6:51 am

And this, from the Montana Handbook of Integrated Pest Management:
"The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" can certainly be descriptive of earthworms (nightcrawlers); they are both beneficial and pests. First the good news. Earthworms are excellent aerators of the soil, creating up to 1,200 tunnels per square yard of soil, to depths of six feet or more. The tunnels, which are 1/8 to 1/4 inch in diameter, also serve as channels for plant roots and microorganisms, resulting in deeper-rooted plants and distribution throughout the soil profile of the beneficial oxygen-using microorganisms that are crucial to building good soil. Earthworms also mine minerals from the subsoil, carrying them upward into the topsoil in a natural tilling operation.

Earthworms also break down thatch and the other the raw materials of organic matter, and spread it evenly throughout the top 12 inches of soil, further improving the soil. Millions of beneficial bacteria that break down thatch are produced in the gut of earthworms. These bacteria, along with a superior fertilizer produced by earthworms, are put into the soil with earthworm "castings". This top quality fertilizer contains nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium and many micronutrients in a form all plants can use. Earthworm castings contain five times more nitrogen, seven times more phosphorus, 11 times more potassium, and 1,000 times more beneficial bacteria than the material contained before the earthworm ingested it. In a 10 x 20 foot garden with only five earthworms per cubic foot of soil, over 35 pounds of this superior fertilizer is produced by the earthworms. In healthy soil with nightcrawler populations of 25 per cubic foot of soil, more than 170 pounds of the highest grade fertilizer will be produced in a year in a 10 x 20 foot garden. This is more than 18.5 tons per acre per year. Gardening supply companies sell earthworm castings as fertilizer for about $12-$25 per pound. Earthworms can also help change alkaline or acid soil toward a desirable neutral pH over time."
janezee
janezee

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/22/2011, 7:43 am

[quote="janezee"]And this, from the Montana Handbook of Integrated Pest Management:
..."Earthworm castings contain five times more nitrogen, seven times more phosphorus, 11 times more potassium, and 1,000 times more beneficial bacteria than the material contained before the earthworm ingested it. In a 10 x 20 foot garden with only five earthworms per cubic foot of soil, over 35 pounds of this superior fertilizer is produced by the earthworms...."

Fabulous input everyone, thank you. If I use the above numbers then when I've observed 1 to 3 worms per square, things must be going pretty well for my little natives. I am definately adding worm tubes to make sure the darlings stay happy and don't need to wander off too far.

BTW I love all the worm topics! I enjoy reading and learning about them but I don't want to spend much time doing it Smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 12/22/2011, 7:48 am

"The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" can certainly be descriptive of earthworms (nightcrawlers); they are both beneficial and pests. First the good news.

Now where is the bad news Razz
Some good stuff here. I'm always up for some good worm readin!

Purchased worms vs. Native wigglers Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 12/22/2011, 7:59 am

If you really want the bad news on worms....Many are not native. They devour the forest floor and have destroyed habitats that did not evolve with worms. They are threatening several bird and tree species to the point of endangerment. If you are really interested I can look up what these references are.

Patty in Yorktown (who reads too much)
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/22/2011, 8:00 am

Maybe the bad and the ugly refers to finding half a worm in apples rofl
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/22/2011, 8:02 am

Yes Patty please do I would love to read about them. My other post was for Rooster, certainly not poking fun at yours.

Last edited by llama momma on 12/22/2011, 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 12/22/2011, 8:02 am

llama momma wrote:Maybe the bad and the ugly refers to finding half a worm in apples rofl

DOH! I give up! darn funny

Purchased worms vs. Native wigglers Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 12/22/2011, 2:09 pm

Hi,
No offense was taken. The book The Earth Moved, On the Remarkable Achievements of Earthworms by Amy Stewart is very interesting and where this information came from. Minnesota, Michigan and New York are some of the states having problems. Most of the areas are places where glaciers were. (pg 99-109) The plants most threatened are understory plants and ferns. I thought Amy Stewart listed some of the endangered plants, but she does not. Must have read it somewhere else. Happy Reading

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/22/2011, 2:35 pm

Great, I will check it out at the library.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down